Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Normally Perfect Baby Screaming all Morning!
AfterSchoolMom 06:26 AM 06-01-2012
So, I have a baby here that has been here 6 months, and is normally an angel - always happy and smiling, perfect napper, no issues. This is the same one who's nap routine has been off this week though, with waking up after 30 minutes.

Today they came in fine, but started crying shortly after drop off. They haven't stopped since! They cried during diaper changing, during bottle time, when I put them down for nap, for about ten minutes afterward....then slept about 20 minutes and woke up full on, hysterical screaming.

There's no fever, clean diaper, and they ate ok despite the crying (and gave a big burp right before nap). Nothing seems to be soothing them though.

How long do I let this go on before I let a parent know? I've never been in this situation before. It's been about two hours, and out of those two hours, only about 30 minutes of it have NOT been spent crying or screaming. I'm concerned because this is very out of character.
GretasLittleFriends 06:34 AM 06-01-2012
Everything else normal with the child? Normal diaper routines; not constipated? I know we hate the teething excuse, but are there bumps in the child's mouth? When my youngest was teething she would cry for a day, and the next day the tooth was broken through.

If possible, I'd give mom a quick phone call. Better safe than sorry, and she may have some insight. I wouldn't necessarily make her come get the child, but make her aware. Especially if it is dramatically out of character.
Jenniferdawn 06:36 AM 06-01-2012
I was thinking teething too. Sounds like what I just went through with my little dcg.
AfterSchoolMom 06:40 AM 06-01-2012
Teething! *forehead smack*

I spend so much time avoiding this as an "excuse" that I didn't even think of it as a possibility. I don't feel any obvious bumps, but it could be. That would definitely explain crying while eating too.

I'll definitely send Mom a quick text though.
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 06-01-2012
Just a thought, but I have had a few babies in the last few years, one in particular, that had several ear infections that had no accompaning fever or any other signs other than having a terrible disposition and not sleeping as well or as restful as normal.

It could also very well be teething but I definitely would not rule out other possibilities either.
MyAngels 09:08 AM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just a thought, but I have had a few babies in the last few years, one in particular, that had several ear infections that had no accompaning fever or any other signs other than having a terrible disposition and not sleeping as well or as restful as normal.

It could also very well be teething but I definitely would not rule out other possibilities either.
That's what I was going to say, too. I have one now that has no symptoms whatsoever other than crankiness when he gets an ear infection. He'll be getting tubes next month because of this.
Lilbutterflie 10:13 AM 06-01-2012
I definitely would mention it to mom. My guess is teething, but it could be constipation or ear infection, or something else entirely. Hopefully mom is willing to take the child to the Dr to rule out ear infection or other health problems. Poor little thing. It's so hard at that age because they can't tell you or show you where it hurts!
Breezy 10:22 AM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My first thoughts as well.
GretasLittleFriends 10:38 AM 06-01-2012
I can't believe I forgot about ear infections. My oldest (16.5yrs) battled with them. She had tubes in at 5 months, and since has had both of her ear drums rupture several times. An ear infection would cause discomfort while eating too.

Were you able to get a hold of mom? How is the little one doing?
Abigail 06:16 PM 06-01-2012
So what did come of it today?
AfterSchoolMom 07:16 AM 06-02-2012
Mom suspects teething as well. I gave the baby a teether and it seemed to help a great deal, though they stayed grumpy throughout the whole day. They're going to keep an eye out this weekend and let me know Sunday evening. They're great about being vigilant and taking the baby to the doctor if necessary, so that won't be an issue.

I'm really glad that the day is over. I earned my weekend!

I really appreciate everyone's input, thank you so much.
Tags:crying - all day, screaming
Reply Up