Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Subsidy Card...The Future
Heidi 06:27 AM 01-10-2014
what do you think of this? Do you think it will work?

WI had huge fraud problems where parents and providers colluded to bilk the system. Do you think the state will be able to prevent that if they're out of the billing loop?

http://dcf.wi.gov/childcare/subsidy_...rd/default.htm

Our opinions here wont make any difference; if our state has decided this is the way to go, then they will do it, more than likely without provider input. If they ask for it, they'll mostly ignore it anyway, based on previous experience.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 01-10-2014
I guess I am not "getting" the point?

The state is going to give them EBT cards verses just issuing a check to you (the provider)?

It says the benefits are that parents can choose their own provider and can have a closer relationship.... can't they do that already?

Maybe it's too early in the morning but I don't see how this "fixes" anything.

Whether they get funds on an EBT card to pay for care or have payment sent directly to provider from state has no benefit or con either way...

Do you have any other details or "why" they want to do this?
craftymissbeth 06:43 AM 01-10-2014
I don't take subsidy payments, but I'm pretty sure this is the system Kansas uses. I have no idea if it's good or bad or if it helps prevent provider fraud, though.
Cat Herder 06:46 AM 01-10-2014
Is this so they can bypass the issues that caused those of us, who choose not to take subsidy, to make that decision?

No more double billing and collecting? It is only to be used at "approved" vendors, how does that change choice of providers?

What happens when the acct is empty on payday? Who do we take to small claims? How will co-pays work?

Who is "negotiating" child care payment with parents on a month to month basis anyway?

To me it sounds like they want the parents haggling prices and micro-managing what they believe to be provider billing fraud of State funds. Do they get to keep any extra $$ from guilting the providers into discounts?
nannyde 06:56 AM 01-10-2014
Do they load the money BEFORE care is used or after care is used. If they load a month worth of care BEFORE then I can see it being great. The provider can pull the entire month out ahead of time so that she is paid in advance for her services. If the parent bails then she is at least paid thru the end of the month.

I don't see how it will combat fraud. I guess I'm missing something.
nannyde 06:59 AM 01-10-2014
Hmmm I wonder if the provider can only pull the money off the EBT card daily? That would mean the parent would have to be onsite to hand over the card every day.
craftymissbeth 07:30 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Hmmm I wonder if the provider can only pull the money off the EBT card daily? That would mean the parent would have to be onsite to hand over the card every day.
In Kansas, they load the whole month at a time and the parent uses the ebt card to pay the provider either via phone or website. I don't think there's a way for providers to actually swipe the card. So the parent calls the state phone # or goes onto the state website, pays the provider and the money is put into the providers account (I believe).

I do think its possible to pay the full amount ahead of time, but our state subsidy is based on attendance so maybe not.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Here is the pdf for Kansas....the use something similar

http://content.dcf.ks.gov/ees/KEESM/...ix/V-1_EBT.pdf

It says providers can lease a POS machine (credit card reader machine) or be paid electronically to their bank accounts.

It appears clients get the money monthly and then chose to pay their provider in various ways.

For child care benefits, the client will have payment options. The first is through a point of sale (POS) machine. The provider may opt to lease a POS machine and the client would transfer child care payments via the POS. The second is through an SIVR (Speech Interactive Voice Response). This is a toll-free telephone payment option.

Parents may use the SIVR from any location and at any time. This method can be used with providers not wishing to lease a POS machine. It is NOT recommended that parents use a pay phone to check balances and/or make payments.

The third is through the EBT Web Portal at (www.ebtedge.com). Clients must enter their card number and PIN to use the web site to view transactions and pay providers. Lastly, if the parent’s child care benefit is not enough to pay for all the child care expense the client can transfer benefits from their cash account (TAF) using the POS machine. This procedure cannot be used in the SIVR or Web payment process. There is no EBT charge to the parent for making any payment to the provider using the Vision card.

Similar to cash assistance, the child care benefits will be available to the parent on the first of each month. Child care benefits can only be used to pay child care providers and cannot be withdrawn as “cash.”

Maybe the system will work the same way... ??
craftymissbeth 07:32 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the pdf for Kansas....the use something similar

http://content.dcf.ks.gov/ees/KEESM/...ix/V-1_EBT.pdf

It says providers can lease a POS machine (credit card reader machine) or be paid electronically to their bank accounts.

It appears clients get the money monthly and then chose to pay their provider in various ways.

For child care benefits, the client will have payment options. The first is through a point of sale (POS) machine. The provider may opt to lease a POS machine and the client would transfer child care payments via the POS. The second is through an SIVR (Speech Interactive Voice Response). This is a toll-free telephone payment option.

Parents may use the SIVR from any location and at any time. This method can be used with providers not wishing to lease a POS machine. It is NOT recommended that parents use a pay phone to check balances and/or make payments.

The third is through the EBT Web Portal at (www.ebtedge.com). Clients must enter their card number and PIN to use the web site to view transactions and pay providers. Lastly, if the parent’s child care benefit is not enough to pay for all the child care expense the client can transfer benefits from their cash account (TAF) using the POS machine. This procedure cannot be used in the SIVR or Web payment process. There is no EBT charge to the parent for making any payment to the provider using the Vision card.

Similar to cash assistance, the child care benefits will be available to the parent on the first of each month. Child care benefits can only be used to pay child care providers and cannot be withdrawn as “cash.”

Maybe the system will work the same way... ??
Oh, perfect! Thank you for finding this... I was off on some of my info.
Heidi 07:34 AM 01-10-2014
Nan...not sure on either point.

I, for one, would ONLY take state subsidy if I could pull the money in advance. There would be just too many ways one could get ripped off otherwise.

Questions in my mind on this...

1. Do the providers have to be specifically authorized for that parent? Now, they choose a provider and get an authorization for that child at that provider. If the parent can use just any legal provider, they could max out their card pretty quick by using 2 providers (unbeknownst to each other).

2. They just went through all this crap to create a tiered reimbursement system based on the provider's "stars rating". How would they control that, if not authorize ONE provider for each child? They also pay centers more than family providers, and pay them on enrollment while we are on attendance (since August of 2011, when they changed us from enrollment). So, does that mean that a parent that goes with a center gets more money on their card?

3. If they do authorize one provider, then what is the point? The provider still has to bill the state; just through a card vs. going online and putting in the attendance. So, while they've been hammering into us for the last 3 years that we must not only take attendance, but must bill for the EXACT hours of attendance, now, they're saying "oh, we don't care...you work it out".

Utah uses this type of system, too. Maybe Meeko can chime in?
Cat Herder 07:45 AM 01-10-2014
It says providers can lease a POS machine
Doesn't the BBB say anything that makes you pay in advance to receive payment is a scam?

I wonder what happens if they pay for a month on the first but only attend a week. Would the provider have to reimburse?

I don't think I'd like that risk....
JoseyJo 07:46 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I don't take subsidy payments, but I'm pretty sure this is the system Kansas uses. I have no idea if it's good or bad or if it helps prevent provider fraud, though.
Yes- this is the system KS uses. I have had experience on both the old (check issued to provider) system and the new EBT system. IMO the new system is about equal in PITA-ness to the old system, in different ways.

In the old system you had to file a claim to the state after care was given, and wait for a check, so you weren't getting payment for services given in Jan until the end of Feb. You also had to keep track of hours MUCH more than with the new system, and you only got paid for the parent's work hours + drive time. I gave away hundreds of $ of daycare services one time with the old system because DCM was pretending to go to work and brought kids to me, but the state found out she wasn't working and refused to pay me for those services. DCM disappeared and I never got my $ from her. It was a lot faster to get a parent approved for services w/ the old system and was more a provider/state agreement than a parent/state agreement leaving less room for the parent to mess things up

In the new system the dcf must have a provider picked out and give DCF the date they will be starting with that provider. Then it takes approx 3-6 weeks to process the application. During that time the provider must either have the family pay OOP or go without payment. When/IF the application is approved $ will go onto the EBT card backdated to the start date. The DCF must then approve the transfer of $ to the provider. If the DCF doesn't approve the transfer of funds you don't get paid. They can't get the $ in cash, but you don't have any way to get it except by having them transfer it to your account. MANY of the families who have come in saying DCF will be paying haven't got approved (they didn't meet the qualifications and either lied or misunderstood the guidelines). The ones who have had NEVER gotten enough to pay my full fee (even single mom w/ min wage job and 3 kids). The most DCF pays here (for 18 months and up) is $2 an hour and I charge $120 a week. So as a provider the only way to make sure you don't end up giving away free services is to have the DCF pay in cash until the EBT transfers are made, then to refund the cash to the parent. Most families who could get assistance can't afford to pay the full tuition so they end up going to a low end center who is willing to take the risk of not receiving payment.

So in essence (IMO) the old system is more of a PITA for the provider, but the the new system is more of a PITA for the parent and is forcing low income families into sub-standard care.

JoseyJo 07:53 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Nan...not sure on either point.

I, for one, would ONLY take state subsidy if I could pull the money in advance. There would be just too many ways one could get ripped off otherwise.

Questions in my mind on this...

1. Do the providers have to be specifically authorized for that parent? Now, they choose a provider and get an authorization for that child at that provider. If the parent can use just any legal provider, they could max out their card pretty quick by using 2 providers (unbeknownst to each other). yes, they have to be specifically authorized, and payments can ONLY be transferred to that provider's account, the parent cant get the $ and can't give it to anyone else (they could get a provider to agree to SAY they provided services when they didn't, transfer the $ to the provider and get the provider to give it to them in cash, but if caught both the provider and the parent would be in BIG legal trouble I am sure!

2. They just went through all this crap to create a tiered reimbursement system based on the provider's "stars rating". How would they control that, if not authorize ONE provider for each child? They also pay centers more than family providers, and pay them on enrollment while we are on attendance (since August of 2011, when they changed us from enrollment). So, does that mean that a parent that goes with a center gets more money on their card? At least in this system in KS providers are specifically assigned per child, and the payment rate is assigned per provider. Centers here do not receive more, but infants do. The rate for 18 mo and up is $2 per hour, under is $2.25 I believe. Providers are NOT paid based on the hours the child actually attended. During the approval process the parent has to prove what hours they work and are given a specific amount per month on their EBT daycare fund based on the hours they work, commute time, and income level. They use those fund to pay the provider and the funds roll over from month to month. The parent pays the provider the difference OOP

3. If they do authorize one provider, then what is the point? The provider still has to bill the state; just through a card vs. going online and putting in the attendance. So, while they've been hammering into us for the last 3 years that we must not only take attendance, but must bill for the EXACT hours of attendance, now, they're saying "oh, we don't care...you work it out". In this system in KS the provider doesn't bill the state, the provider actually does nothing accept get approved as a DCF provider and give the enrolling parent their provider #. You do not have to take attendance, don't have to turn in hours, nothing.

Utah uses this type of system, too. Maybe Meeko can chime in?
Hope that helps a little! No guarantee the system will be the same as KS uses but it sounds very similar!
JoseyJo 07:55 AM 01-10-2014
In Kansas, they load the whole month at a time and the parent uses the ebt card to pay the provider either via phone or website. I don't think there's a way for providers to actually swipe the card. So the parent calls the state phone # or goes onto the state website, pays the provider and the money is put into the providers account (I believe).

I do think its possible to pay the full amount ahead of time, but our state subsidy is based on attendance so maybe not.
In my experience DCF does not approve the use of a POS unless you have a certain number of families enrolled using state funds. I have never had more than 2 at a time so my families have always used the online system or the phone system to transfer funds to me.
craftymissbeth 08:05 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
In my experience DCF does not approve the use of a POS unless you have a certain number of families enrolled using state funds. I have never had more than 2 at a time so my families have always used the online system or the phone system to transfer funds to me.
Thank you for all of that info! It basically just solidified my decision to not take DCF payments. Too much hassle even if there isn't any extra paperwork or anything. My town is very low income... almost the entire town qualifies as Tier 1 on the food program. I've done just fine finding OOP clients despite that fact.
Heidi 08:07 AM 01-10-2014
Hope that helps a little! No guarantee the system will be the same as KS uses but it sounds very similar!
Ok..thanks. I can see advantages and certainly issues. Guess we can only wait-and see.

Right now, I only have one subsidized client, and I bill through the state's DWD website. I bill at the end of every 2-week period, and am paid via direct deposit a week later. Not too bad vs the old paper system that took weeks.

One issue we have no with attendance based pay is that people are actually tempted to cheat. I wont do it, but various parents have actually suggested if their child is sick and GMA or whoever stay's with them, "just write them down". Again, I won't do this, but it seems ridiculous that if the parent is still working, and the child is taking up a spot, then we either eat the cost or the parent has to pay out-of-pocket.

Or, the parent has to stay home, if they don't have a relative, and then loose pay AND pay out-of-pocket. State subsidized clients don't GENERALLY have jobs that pay sick days or vacation or much more than minimum wage. They also won't cover any school time, other than high-school. Why can't tech school or a certain amount of college credits (with a required GPA) be considered an "approved" activity?
itlw8 10:14 AM 01-10-2014
It looks like they think the providers commit fraud so they need to put it I the parents hands because they would never do anything wrong. They want the parents to pay for childcare like anyone else.

so at the first of the month they get the amount they are approved for and after they spend it at any approved provider they are out of money until the next month just like food stamps. Except there is no food bank for childcare.
originalkat 10:55 AM 01-10-2014
I do not take subsidy anymore either due to having issues with parents using this service. However, this is how they do it in Kansas. The only problem I foresee for providers who are used to having a check issued directly to them is that you will have to rely on the parent to be responsible to pay the tuition directly to you using your payment policies. I never have any issues with private pay paying on time, but I had constant issues with SRS parents paying me via their EBT. They would always seem to forget!! Needless to say, I do NOT take subsidy anymore.
I hope it works out in WI!
Heidi 11:31 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
It looks like they think the providers commit fraud so they need to put it I the parents hands because they would never do anything wrong. They want the parents to pay for childcare like anyone else.

so at the first of the month they get the amount they are approved for and after they spend it at any approved provider they are out of money until the next month just like food stamps. Except there is no food bank for childcare.
yeah, funny thing is, in most of the fraud cases, the parents colluded with the providers.

How about this one...which they have since blocked with regs.

I am a mom eligible so are you, and so is our buddy. Lets all become daycare providers. Now, I will bring my kids to you, and you to buddy, and she to me. Now, we will all apply for subsidy, and claim our children don't fit into our group, either because they are the wrong age, or because they take up spots. Then, we will all bill the state for each other's children. Oh, well, you don't actually have to bring your kids anywhere, though, because no one checks attendance records...there are none required at this point (changed post-fraud scandal).

OR:

I will open a daycare center, and hire 3 or 4 low-income moms to work for me as teachers. They can bring their children to work, and they are eligible for state subsidy. So, I get, lets say $3.50 per hour per kid. Each mom has 3 kids, so that's $13.50 per hour. I will then pay mom $8.50 per hour for working here. Net, $5 per hour. Oh, and you don't actually have to come to work or bring your kids....we'll just bill the state, and I'll issue you a paycheck. On top of that, there were probably "quality improvement" grants these people got to buy equipment and toys. They then sold the stuff at a cut-rate, and took that money, too. Now, I was saying 3 or 4 people, but some of these places were licensed 24/7 for 50-60 kids, and yet when the licensing agents came to visit, there would be NO one there (oh, they're on a field trip), or a few kids here and there.

Nice, eh?

They have now made it a regulation that a center cannot have more than 40% of it's employees on state-subsidy. There's a whole audit process that red-flags anyone who hires their dcp's so that it's tracked carefully.

These cards will not change anything for those people who are crafty and dishonest enough to spend their time coming up with creative ways to steal from the system. They're a small percentage of people, but the rest of us pay for it. It stinks.
Meeko 11:38 AM 01-10-2014
Utah has been doing this for years now. I love it. I go to a web site at the end of each month and check that funds are authorized for the next month. It tells me exactly how much. It offers third party access, which I require all state funded parents to give me. If no funds are on the card, it tells me why. If the parents hasn't turned in all the right paperwork, it tells me. No stories from the mom.

So no bad surprises on the first and no excuses possible from the mom. No funds...no care....so better get their paperwork done.

On the first of each month, funds are pulled off the card and I am paid in advance for that month. Love it.
Heidi 11:42 AM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Utah has been doing this for years now. I love it. I go to a web site at the end of each month and check that funds are authorized for the next month. It tells me exactly how much. It offers third party access, which I require all state funded parents to give me. If no funds are on the card, it tells me why. If the parents hasn't turned in all the right paperwork, it tells me. No stories from the mom.

So no bad surprises on the first and no excuses possible from the mom. No funds...no care....so better get their paperwork done.

On the first of each month, funds are pulled off the card and I am paid in advance for that month. Love it.
So, Meeko, can you answer some questions? My understanding is that WI is looking at Utah for some direction on this.

Do they pay all the providers the same, according the the parents income?

Ours is set up by regions (how close to a major city, basically), by provider "star" level, by regulation level, and by center/family care. They also pay centers on enrollment...for the spot, and family only by attendance.

Do they figure the amount the parent is eligible for the same way they did before the cards? Hours worked x pay means you get x $? Like food stamps (WI uses EBT for that).
Sugar Magnolia 11:53 AM 01-10-2014
I'm a big liberal and support the concept of subsidy. HOWEVER, I am preparing to stop accepting it. The paperwork is ridiculous and the intrusion and micro managing is becoming too much. I have been lucky and not seen any fraud or abuse in my program. For the most part, parents are appreciative and cooperative and I really liked having the kids get an opportunity to be in my otherwise somewhat pricey center......
But between QRIS, forms, intrusive oversight and problems getting paid by the state....I'm really over it. I only have one child on it now,.and am willing to take a pay cut to keep the child and ditch the state.
JoseyJo 12:15 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Exactly- they approve a certain amount for that family to use based on income and job hours and add it to their card- in a separate "account" that can only be used to transfer to their approved providers "account" (ie not "real" money, can only be used for childcare, like food stamps can only be used for food) at the beginning of each month. The parent can then transfer money to the provider as they see fit- daily, weekly, monthly, before services rendered, after ,etc. They get that certain amount of money on their card regardless of their work attendance and their child's daycare attendance. If they use it all up they have to pay the difference OOP, if they have extra left over it rolls to the next month.
JoseyJo 12:18 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I never have any issues with private pay paying on time, but I had constant issues with SRS parents paying me via their EBT. They would always seem to forget!!!
Yep- All.the.time. I made them pay in advance and refused to take their children if they didn't pay- so most of the time they just end up not bringing their child (even after they enroll) or never come back after the subsidy for the month runs out. I very rarely get subsidy parents now even though I accept them and lots interview because they don't want to pay in cash until the subsidy is approved, and they don't want to pay when the subsidy runs out for the month.
JoseyJo 12:21 PM 01-10-2014

That would be GREAT if KS did that! We cannot see how much they are approved for (can't call and ask either "parent confidentiality"), def can't see why they weren't approved, can't see if the money is actually on the card, and can't even see the payment until 24-48 hours after it is made...
Heidi 12:49 PM 01-10-2014
That would be GREAT if KS did that! We cannot see how much they are approved for (can't call and ask either "parent confidentiality"), def can't see why they weren't approved, can't see if the money is actually on the card, and can't even see the payment until 24-48 hours after it is made...

BC and I were just talking about this. At this time, WI will NOT tell a provider anything. Used to be you could at least talk to a caseworker, and they'd sort of hint around but not say anything directly...so you knew what's what.
Now, you can't even get them to take your call. They direct you to a 1-800 number that's farmed out, and those people tell you NUTHIN!

I don't know why it would be so hard to have a parent sign off on giving their provider certain info. Confirming an authorization in progress, stating the parent has turned in their paperwork, etc. They don't have to give out details, but why make it adversarial? We are providing a service to parents and the state (presumably to keep people working and off welfare). Why is that a bad thing?
Unregistered 03:41 PM 01-10-2014
I guess I am not "getting" the point?

The state is going to give them EBT cards verses just issuing a check to you (the provider)?

It says the benefits are that parents can choose their own provider and can have a closer relationship.... can't they do that already?

Maybe it's too early in the morning but I don't see how this "fixes" anything.

Whether they get funds on an EBT card to pay for care or have payment sent directly to provider from state has no benefit or con either way...

Do you have any other details or "why" they want to do this?
In CO they SWIPE a "badge" type card (not EBT) when they log in and out for each day. The theory is if they're having to swipe in, there is less chance for fraud since it "validates" the parent really was at the daycare and swiped in/out each day he/she was actually logged in.
craftymissbeth 03:43 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In CO they SWIPE a "badge" type card (not EBT) when they log in and out for each day. The theory is if they're having to swipe in, there is less chance for fraud since it "validates" the parent really was at the daycare and swiped in/out each day he/she was actually logged in.
Or the provider keeps the card at her house and takes care of the swiping for them. No need to get out of the house for you fraudulent activities
Meeko 04:16 PM 01-10-2014
So, Meeko, can you answer some questions? My understanding is that WI is looking at Utah for some direction on this.

Do they pay all the providers the same, according the the parents income?

Ours is set up by regions (how close to a major city, basically), by provider "star" level, by regulation level, and by center/family care. They also pay centers on enrollment...for the spot, and family only by attendance.

Do they figure the amount the parent is eligible for the same way they did before the cards? Hours worked x pay means you get x $? Like food stamps (WI uses EBT for that).
The state figures out parent pay/hours etc with their magic formulas

I don't care either way, as we are allowed to charge what we want and the parent has to make up any difference.

Licensed providers get paid a bit more than residential certificate...not quite as much as a center.

On the whole. it's a good system. Parents can pay over the phone, online or using a POS swipe machine. The machines to swipe the card cost a fee each month and so I don't use one. I only have one welfare client right now. She does the transfer over the phone and then gives me the confirmation number. The money is in my account within a couple days without fail.

The parent calls the number on their card. it's all automated. Tells her what her daycare amount is. Asks if she wants to make a transfer. Asks for my transfer ID number (issued by the state). Asks her how much to transfer....gives her a confirmation number......which she gives to me......done.
Meeko 04:32 PM 01-10-2014
BC and I were just talking about this. At this time, WI will NOT tell a provider anything. Used to be you could at least talk to a caseworker, and they'd sort of hint around but not say anything directly...so you knew what's what.
Now, you can't even get them to take your call. They direct you to a 1-800 number that's farmed out, and those people tell you NUTHIN!

I don't know why it would be so hard to have a parent sign off on giving their provider certain info. Confirming an authorization in progress, stating the parent has turned in their paperwork, etc. They don't have to give out details, but why make it adversarial? We are providing a service to parents and the state (presumably to keep people working and off welfare). Why is that a bad thing?
We used to get the "privacy" thing too. I would get frustrated with the case workers and say "so I'm not entitled to know if the money set aside FOR ME is actually there???"........it was so silly.

The parent has an option on their account to allow access to their provider. We can only see daycare related info...so nothing about their food stamps etc.

I won't take a state client unless they agree to grant me access. Past history has been full of stories/excuses etc.

Parents here re-certify every 6 months unless their situation changes a lot. I know when their re-certification is due and can keep track online to make sure all paperwork is in and approved.
Unregistered 03:37 PM 01-11-2014
Or the provider keeps the card at her house and takes care of the swiping for them. No need to get out of the house for you fraudulent activities
Except it's audited. Like the state drops in on you and monitors things. I suppose there is always still a chance, but it should be lessened.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:22 PM 01-11-2014
IN ohio we have the swipe cards and I love it. The parent clocks in and out. I get paid via direct deposit 2 weeks later. No paperwork on my part. If they are absent I have to log in online and post that day. Easy. I was worried but honestly, it has gone really well but I have a very responsible mom. I do not, nor can I ever be in possession of her card. She does all of it.
Tags:assistance, childcare assistance, subsidy, subsidy issues
Reply Up