Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fussy Babe
mema 12:46 PM 03-10-2014
Trying to figure out if this is just "him" or if there is something going on. He's usually ok being held-not always tho. On his back on the floor-he may last 10 minutes before crying. On his belly, he can go a little longer, maybe 15-20 before crying. In a bouncer, 5 minutes. When he cries, he cries hard. Sometimes it can take up to 15 minutes to calm him-cradling, bouncing up and down, patting the tush, and humming.

He will not fall asleep alone. If you lay him in a pnp, even after almost sleeping, he will scream. Once finally sleeping, he wakes after 10 minutes almost every time. Sometimes a little patting on his tummy and holding the nuk in will take care of it for another 20, but not always. He averages 3 naps a day here, 10-40 minutes.

He is drooling like crazy, but I don't see any signs of teething. No bumps, redness, swelling. He has gas a lot. Doesn't have many bm's. He has only had 1 here and it was water.
mema 12:57 PM 03-10-2014
Forgot to add, he's 3 months.
cheerfuldom 03:19 PM 03-10-2014
He sounds horribly sleep deprived. I would start sleep training and if the parents are not okay with that, they can find new care. The first priority is that a child is safe, fed, napped, and clean. I realize sleep training for infants is a hot topic but at this point, he is very unhappy, not falling into a healthy or predictable pattern so yes, I would start putting this child on a routine.
Angelsj 06:44 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by mema:
Trying to figure out if this is just "him" or if there is something going on. He's usually ok being held-not always tho. On his back on the floor-he may last 10 minutes before crying. On his belly, he can go a little longer, maybe 15-20 before crying. In a bouncer, 5 minutes. When he cries, he cries hard. Sometimes it can take up to 15 minutes to calm him-cradling, bouncing up and down, patting the tush, and humming.

He will not fall asleep alone. If you lay him in a pnp, even after almost sleeping, he will scream. Once finally sleeping, he wakes after 10 minutes almost every time. Sometimes a little patting on his tummy and holding the nuk in will take care of it for another 20, but not always. He averages 3 naps a day here, 10-40 minutes.

He is drooling like crazy, but I don't see any signs of teething. No bumps, redness, swelling. He has gas a lot. Doesn't have many bm's. He has only had 1 here and it was water.
That would concern me. Sounds like he might be constipated. Before we got too much further, I think I would have them take him in and get checked for constipation.
mema 02:44 PM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
That would concern me. Sounds like he might be constipated. Before we got too much further, I think I would have them take him in and get checked for constipation.
He is strictly breastfed. I've heard they don't always go as much and it tends to be more runny. (never had a bf babe-couldn't do it for my own and all dck's have been formula). They say he goes every couple of days at home. I will double check with them that that is still happening. I do write in his book no bm's everyday.
Angelsj 04:24 PM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by mema:
He is strictly breastfed. I've heard they don't always go as much and it tends to be more runny. (never had a bf babe-couldn't do it for my own and all dck's have been formula). They say he goes every couple of days at home. I will double check with them that that is still happening. I do write in his book no bm's everyday.
It is true they will go less, but watery is odd. It should be soft, yellow and seedy, but not watery. Could he be sensitive to something mom is eating?
mema 04:57 PM 03-11-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
It is true they will go less, but watery is odd. It should be soft, yellow and seedy, but not watery. Could he be sensitive to something mom is eating?
It was an yellow/orange and it was watery. I had just changed his diaper and next thing I knew, his shirt was covered up the back. Since then, he sometimes has marks in his diaper from when he toots, but that's it. I forgot to ask dad at pick up because I was ready for him to go. Long day today. He only slept 45 minutes total. I will write myself a note to ask at drop off tomorrow.

I did chat a bit yesterday about his sleep at home. He dozes on and off from pick up until bed. They start getting ready for bed around 10p. He wakes once for 30 minutes or so and then up to get ready at 630a. I need to chat more about "how" he is sleeping. I know most babies sleep better on their tummies, but am wondering if he is at home. He was having belly time today and within 3 minutes was out like a light. Picked him up to put him in his pnp and it was sheer terror. If they are belly sleeping him and not willing to back sleep him, I will not keep him. Too much of a risk. I did talk about sleep quite a bit in my interview-on back, nothing in pnp/crib, laying down while still awake, etc, but not sure if they are doing it I guess.
Tags:3-months-old, fussy
Reply Up