Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Showing Up Late....Contracted Hours
spud912 09:17 PM 05-01-2014
Those of you with contracted hours .... does it bother you if someone is 30-45 minutes or more late for drop-off and they didn't bother to let you know? I have in my contract that if a family is more than 30 minutes late without letting me know that I will assume they are a no-call/no-show ... 3 no-calls/no shows and the contract is terminated. I guess I am just looking for affirmation....not sure if I'm being overly strict. Obviously, this bothers me more so when it is the first person to arrive and I sit by the front door, only for them to show up way late or not at all without even a phone call or text. I could have been doing something else in the meantime. Plus, when I expect someone at a certain time and they don't show up, I start to worry. Am I being nit-picky?
childcaremom 02:12 AM 05-02-2014
Yes, it bothers me. I tell all my families that I expect them to arrive at their scheduled times as I plan our activities around everyone's arrivals and departures.

I also have a 30 minute no show/no contact means no care for the day.

I don't know if it's strict or not. Just the way I operate.
coolconfidentme 02:27 AM 05-02-2014
Most of my families will text me when they are late. I nudge the true & say "I already submitted my attendance times & meals. I'm state licensed you know." They assume I have to report it to them. In reality I just put it on my whiteboard in the kitchen.
GKJNIGMN 05:49 AM 05-02-2014
I ask them to and I tell them that if it is a repeat issue I will terminate.

I have agreed to open at 5:30AM for a family (and I am not a morning person) for them to text me at 3pm and tell me I won't need to pick their kid up from school.By the 3rd time that happened, I terminated.

On the other hand, I have a DCM now who sometimes takes anti anxiety medication at night and it has caused her to oversleep maybe 2-3 times in the almost 5 months I have been watching her daughter. She calls me immediately upon waking apologizing and asking if I will still take DCG. Her situation doesn't bother me so much.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Those of you with contracted hours .... does it bother you if someone is 30-45 minutes or more late for drop-off and they didn't bother to let you know? I have in my contract that if a family is more than 30 minutes late without letting me know that I will assume they are a no-call/no-show ... 3 no-calls/no shows and the contract is terminated. I guess I am just looking for affirmation....not sure if I'm being overly strict. Obviously, this bothers me more so when it is the first person to arrive and I sit by the front door, only for them to show up way late or not at all without even a phone call or text. I could have been doing something else in the meantime. Plus, when I expect someone at a certain time and they don't show up, I start to worry. Am I being nit-picky?
I have the same rule.

It bothers me a lot when someone is late and doesn't bother to tell me.

NOT because they are late and I had to wait or be here earlier than I needed to be, but PURELY because it is disrespectful and rude and in this age of electronic communication, THERE IS NO EXCUSE for not letting you know.

You are NOT being nit-picky.
e.j. 06:24 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Obviously, this bothers me more so when it is the first person to arrive and I sit by the front door, only for them to show up way late or not at all without even a phone call or text. I could have been doing something else in the meantime. Plus, when I expect someone at a certain time and they don't show up, I start to worry. Am I being nit-picky?
It definitely bothers me when I wake up early to be ready for someone who then shows up late or not at all. It also bothers me when a younger child is late arriving because the parent allowed him/her to sleep in which then affects nap time for everyone else here. I'm pretty easy going otherwise. I just go on about my day and the late arrival joins in when he/she gets here.
josie2014 06:28 AM 05-02-2014
Lol I work for family they text me saying will be 10 minutes late after 30 minutes they text again saying will be 1 hour late,they show up 2 hours late.Not just one day,almost every single time.I started to notice when they bring her child late they wanted to pick up 7pm.I talked with then they stop...
mema 06:54 AM 05-02-2014
I don't think that's picky at all. If it was only a few minutes, no big deal. I also ask that they text or call if they are going to be late. I have one family that when they started, their contracted time was 730a. Very, very rare that they showed up at that time. It would be anywhere from 8-930. After a few reminders that I needed to know when they were coming, we just started heading out immediately after breakfast everyday. Dcd would call when he got to my house to no one home furious. I would respond with, well, we are on a walk since I didn't think you were coming today. We will be home in xx minutes and then take our time. I finally just changed their contract to 9a, of course, even some days he can't make that. He is getting better about letting me know if it will be more than 15 minutes tho. One of the boys lets him know that he is sad when they arrive late and we are almost done with whatever project. Dcd doesn't care.
spud912 07:16 AM 05-02-2014
Alrighty....good . I sent out a reminder yesterday of all my policies people have been violating. I know it is totally my fault for not following through with consequences, but at this point I am done. I know these parents only are thinking about what is best for THEM, but they never consider the other side and how it is disrespectful to me, the other families I watch, and/or my family.

It's just that everyone has become totally lax with communicating with me about anything. They come early, show up late, don't show up at all and all of this without any form of communication. Seriously....how long does it take to text "I'm running late?"
deliberateliterate 10:09 AM 05-02-2014
I like it!

Our mornings are usually pretty laid back. My kids are usually still eating breakfast, I sit on the floor with the kids while they play around me, and we wait until everyone is here. I have two that come within 15-20 minutes of when they say, 2 that come at the same time down to the minute, and one who varies by 1.5 hours and I never know.

I technically have contracted hours, but I don't really follow them. People come when they come, and leave when they leave. But I'm only open for 9.5 hours and none of my families take advantage.

Late drop off = 1less kid to watch.
melilley 11:57 AM 05-02-2014
All but one of my families call or text me when they are going to be late, but it wouldn't bother me if they didn't.

Except, bothers me when one of my families doesn't call/text because their child has a gluten free diet and sometimes I have to make him a separate breakfast so it really bothers me if I make him something (gluten free cooking is expensive) and have to throw it away.
butterfly 12:05 PM 05-02-2014
I just call them. If they aren't here within 30 minutes of their regularly scheduled drop off. I call them to see if they are ok. After a few times of this, they learn that I appreciate a heads up if they are going to be late.

Or just flat out tell them you need them to call if they are going to be late. Some people just need to be told.
daycarediva 04:37 PM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have the same rule.

It bothers me a lot when someone is late and doesn't bother to tell me.

NOT because they are late and I had to wait or be here earlier than I needed to be, but PURELY because it is disrespectful and rude and in this age of electronic communication, THERE IS NO EXCUSE for not letting you know.

You are NOT being nit-picky.

I'm strict, my policies are:

I have a no drop offs after 9 am. I have turned families away at the door before.

Notify me BEFORE their scheduled drop off time if they will be later than usual/not in attendance that day.

I can/will terminate if they no call/no show 3 times.

I can adjust their drop off times to reflect the actual time they drop off. (Just did this with my 6AM drop off, who was continually texting me around 6 running late, and showing up at 6:45. Her contract now states 6:45).

What irritates me to no end, is tossing out breakfasts. I serve it at 8 for daycare kids. ALL of my kids are scheduled to be here by 8. I cook for 6 kids, put the food on the table, only to get a text "be there at 8:30+" 8:30-9 is morning circle. No breakfast is served after 8:30, so I am throwing away an entire plate of food that I can't even claim on the food program because the child wasn't here to offer it to. I have been just doing cereal, toast, waffles, bagels, that I can easily make individually and I do NOT put food in the toaster until I see each kid.
Reply Up