Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So typical...
Sunchimes 08:19 PM 08-20-2014
I've been trying to fill the space I will have open on Monday when school starts. So far, I have had someone tell me they knew someone who was really excited to hear about me and would be calling. That was last week, no call. Then, someone else saw my ad and said that they knew someone. That was last week, and they finally called today. She works 8-5, allowing 15 minutes for pick up, so say 9 1/2 hours. I gave her my (ridiculously low) weekly rate. She had the gall to say that her husband got off at 3 and could pick up at 3:15 or so, how much discount would that get her. I told her, truthfully, that my new family rates were $110 a week, but I wanted to find a good fit for this opening so I had already quoted her a $10 a week discount. I wanted to tell her that 3:15 was during nap time and that would be an extra $25 a week. She suddenly felt like she needed to talk to her husband and would get back to me. Pretty sure I'll never hear from her again.

Newspaper ads for 5 weeks, 4 local FB pages, Craigslist, and networking with everyone I know has resulted in one call from FB, one call from a personal referral, and one of those scam calls from someone in Europe wanting care. I almost took a SA I'm so worried about this space. I may still do that.
Shell 04:35 AM 08-21-2014
Been there. Everybody knows somebody...and then you hear nothing.
TickleMonster 05:00 AM 08-21-2014
I understand that! We are in that position right now ourselves, trying to fill two spots. Nobody is calling! Ugh.
daniellesweety1 05:16 AM 08-21-2014
Oh my, I had the sort of the same situation happen to me last week. The lady continuously sent me emails because she saw my ad on CL but every time I called her she didn't answer I even left her a message. Then she sent me another email saying to "please call her". Called, NO ANSWER lol. Finally I texted and she called right back Her reasoning was she to had posted a CL ad selling her phone so several people called her all day wanting to buy her phone and she hoped I'd send a texted lol.

Anywho, so she tells me what she's looking for EITHER 9:30am, 10:30a, or 11:30am drop off because she has to be to work an hour after each one of those times on any given day and she'll provide a schedule. She gets off at 9pm. I tell her I close at 6p she says no problem because her BF will pick up because he gets off at 3p. I tell her he can pick up later so she won't be here for such a short period and she says ok. So the day of her interview she texted me and said that her BF think my prices were too high for the baby being here for only a short period of time. I responded OK.

I'm not changing anything for anyone lol. She could've dropped off earlier or he couldve picked up later . This would've been perfect but hey... I'm not discounting and besides she had to take her 5yo to school every morning so why not bring the baby early too.

Well I pray I start getting calls too.
Good Luck with filling your spot too.
KiddieCahoots 05:58 AM 08-21-2014
Ugh! Hate when this happens!
Had 2 perspective teacher clients to replace 2 leaving.
Haven't heard a word. No news is NOT always good news......and still have 2 leaving.
CraftyMom 06:19 AM 08-21-2014
I've had those "very interested" calls and emails...then no response
Baby Beluga 07:26 AM 08-21-2014
In the same shoes as you all. I have one full time spot I would like to fill and have gotten a lot of calls and emails but nothing after that.
MsLisa 07:32 AM 08-21-2014
I had a fb friend do this to me. They knew a teacher in the same district my daughter goes to, has 2 boys, blah blah blah. The teacher doesn't have FB so I tell my friend the info. Yeah, that was a waste. There are only 2 other daycares in this area, good luck.

I get more love & help from fellow daycares around the US then I do my own family/friends. Its ridiculous.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:07 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I gave her my (ridiculously low) weekly rate. She had the gall to say that her husband got off at 3 and could pick up at 3:15 or so, how much discount would that get her.

I almost took a SA I'm so worried about this space. I may still do that.
Your potential client must have moved to Nebraska, because I enrolled her! My new dcf starting in a week did that EXACT SAME THING! My rate is already low, low, low for the category of care I'm in, and she asked if it could be even cheaper because dcd will pick up around 3:30. At first I said, "No, sorry. My expenses are still the same, as she will be here for snack." So then she says that she could keep her home in the morning as she works swing, and drop off around 10:00. I said yes, then, a $10 discount since I won't have to do breakfast. Then...at interview she says she is trying to get an 8-5 shift, probably will, and she will pay the regular rate for full hours.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:10 AM 08-21-2014
I forgot to comment on the SA. I am feeling unsettled myself. I hate having open spots and this time around interviewing has been especially disheartening, but, never, ever, ever will I ever have SA again! I would probably quit altogether if I went down that road again!
llpa 11:14 AM 08-21-2014
Ugh! This is why I haven't been on the forum lately. It's so darn depressing! I am down to one dck ft. I have one pt. i have done everything to get clients. Now advertised to take half day kinder kids. And signed up 6 3yos for preschool two days a week. I rent my space, and preschool doesn't pay the rent. Daycare does. I just signed up to take subsidized dc parents. I dread it, but maybe it will get some clients. Saying a little prayer that we all get some more biz!
deliberateliterate 11:20 AM 08-21-2014
Same here. I have two spots open as of next week, but I'll be happy with just filling one. I've gotten a few request one or two days a week. As soon as I mention my 3 day min, I never hear from them again.
Reply Up