Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's Official, You Guys Are Geniuses
deliberateliterate 07:59 AM 10-14-2014
I was so frustrated last week about my free play situation and posted asking for help. I got some wonderful suggestions, and implemented some of them today. I only have two kids, so I layed down 2 towels with 2 or 3 related toys on each, I set a timer and I placed each DCK on each one. I fully expected meltdowns each time I redirected them to stay on the towels and keep their toys on their towels. But instead I kept having to reset my timers because they were playing so well and seemed content to stay! I was hoping to get 3 or 4 minutes out of them, but it's been 15+ on each station. My one with the shortest attention span keeps telling me that she's all done, but when I tell her time isnt up, she goods back to playing. And I haven't had to break up one fight yet!

And one bonus that I hadn't thought about is that I'm making them clean up their sections every time they move, so they playroom is staying clutter free! I could cry!!
Second Home 08:01 AM 10-14-2014

NightOwl 08:11 AM 10-14-2014

I need to get on this bandwagon. It seems to work well for almost everyone who uses it.
LadyK8 08:44 AM 10-14-2014
Oooo! This sounds great. I'm not having free play issues at the moment, but I would love to implement this.
jenboo 09:07 AM 10-14-2014
I'm trying it but I'm having a hard time keeping my five 2 yr olds to stay on their towels.
Rockgirl 09:11 AM 10-14-2014
That's great!
Thriftylady 09:12 AM 10-14-2014
Yay!!!
daycarediva 10:01 AM 10-14-2014
How old are your kids? Are you going to do this long term? I think this is a great idea, but it unfortunately doesn't teach them much. I would start adding in some role play together with you to teach them social skills so that they can eventually play on their own. It's messy, loud, and not so pretty, but without that social turmoil, they won't gain any skills and you'll be doing this until they go to K.
hsdcmama 10:36 AM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate:
I was so frustrated last week about my free play situation and posted asking for help. I got some wonderful suggestions, and implemented some of them today. I only have two kids, so I layed down 2 towels with 2 or 3 related toys on each, I set a timer and I placed each DCK on each one. I fully expected meltdowns each time I redirected them to stay on the towels and keep their toys on their towels. But instead I kept having to reset my timers because they were playing so well and seemed content to stay! I was hoping to get 3 or 4 minutes out of them, but it's been 15+ on each station. My one with the shortest attention span keeps telling me that she's all done, but when I tell her time isnt up, she goods back to playing. And I haven't had to break up one fight yet!

And one bonus that I hadn't thought about is that I'm making them clean up their sections every time they move, so they playroom is staying clutter free! I could cry!!
Yay!!!! So glad it worked out!
Play Care 01:07 PM 10-14-2014

Yay! Glad it's working out for you!! I find that a few days of this I can slowly start introducing free play back in.
Controlled Chaos 02:45 PM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
How old are your kids? Are you going to do this long term? I think this is a great idea, but it unfortunately doesn't teach them much. I would start adding in some role play together with you to teach them social skills so that they can eventually play on their own. It's messy, loud, and not so pretty, but without that social turmoil, they won't gain any skills and you'll be doing this until they go to K.
I was just thinking this. Play is messy
BumbleBee 02:55 PM 10-14-2014
I'm going to file this away in my 'just in case' file because I'm sure I will need it at some point!
Rockgirl 03:12 PM 10-14-2014
It was necessary to do this with my current group--it was chaotic when they had more than a few minutes of free play. They still interact plenty--I feel they get plenty of socialization. Now when we do "free play", there are a couple of choices, and that's it. For example, I'll set out the play food/dishes (not too many pieces) in the kitchen area, and in another area, duplos. They can choose between the two. When they had too many choices, they just ran and yelled.
Play Care 03:05 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by when is naptime?:
It was necessary to do this with my current group--it was chaotic when they had more than a few minutes of free play. They still interact plenty--I feel they get plenty of socialization. Now when we do "free play", there are a couple of choices, and that's it. For example, I'll set out the play food/dishes (not too many pieces) in the kitchen area, and in another area, duplos. They can choose between the two. When they had too many choices, they just ran and yelled.

And honestly - this is how it will be when they go to K. I've never been in a K classroom where the kids were allowed free reign of the play things...When I had a tough group last year (including a couple of SA kids) and had to crackdown, the one SA boy said "This is JUST like school where we have centers and have to go where the teacher says!"

In fact this reminds me that I need to close off the dress up clothes today - the kids have been using the dress up for "camping" which I wouldn't mind, except no one wants to pick up all the clothes when it's time
Rockgirl 06:57 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:

And honestly - this is how it will be when they go to K. I've never been in a K classroom where the kids were allowed free reign of the play things...When I had a tough group last year (including a couple of SA kids) and had to crackdown, the one SA boy said "This is JUST like school where we have centers and have to go where the teacher says!"

In fact this reminds me that I need to close off the dress up clothes today - the kids have been using the dress up for "camping" which I wouldn't mind, except no one wants to pick up all the clothes when it's time
So true about it being like school! Mine still have a few years before they go, but really I think this group needs the structure. These kids have really thrown me for a loop! We're finally finding our groove, though.
daycarediva 08:08 AM 10-15-2014

Awesome! I was just picturing separated kids.

I do centers as well, and we rotate out. My crew is pretty 'trained' (that's a poor wording choice, but I can't think of another that's better- conditioned? LOL) to go to a center (velcroed name tags with max # of kids and the areas separated) and they clean up their center before moving on to the next.
Rockgirl 08:18 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Awesome! I was just picturing separated kids.

I do centers as well, and we rotate out. My crew is pretty 'trained' (that's a poor wording choice, but I can't think of another that's better- conditioned? LOL) to go to a center (velcroed name tags with max # of kids and the areas separated) and they clean up their center before moving on to the next.
This is my hope for my group when they get a little older.
Controlled Chaos 08:28 AM 10-15-2014
I am glad this is working
Francine 09:03 AM 10-15-2014

Can you give me a few examples of what kinds of toys you are giving them to play with on their towels?
Rockgirl 10:18 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Francine:
Can you give me a few examples of what kinds of toys you are giving them to play with on their towels?
I am not the OP, but I'll give some examples of mine:
Pegs/pegboards
Plastic animals
Puzzles
Mr Potato Head
Large stringing beads
Basket of books
Sorting bears
Small farm set
Wooden food cutting set

You get the idea. I have some rugs with manipulatives, and others are just for fun.
Tags:managing children, tips
Reply Up