Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Daycare, Angry Parents
Sunshine69 06:50 PM 03-23-2021
Today I was unexpectedly offered a job. I saw the job posted on the school website last week and sent in an application. I mentioned it to a friend and the friend told me they knew the head of the department I applied for. Over the weekend my friend spoke to said friend about my application and came back to me with the number of the person responsible for hiring. I left a message and they called me back today and told me they trusted the person who gave him the referral and offered me the job on the spot. I still have to fill out paperwork and pass a background check, which I already have for daycare, but can start anytime.

I currently am open for daycare 7-5. We all know the day isn’t over when the last kid leaves and we can plan on another 2 hours of paperwork, cleaning and menu & activity planning. The new job is 6:30-2 and I’ll be making about the same money weekly plus have school breaks off with my own kids. No more getting up early and shoveling snow before dawn to clear out for daycare clients. I didn’t want to pass it up.

I had planned my very first vacation since 2016 from daycare for April 5-9 which I informed parents about mid-February. I’m also closed on Good Friday as set forth in my policy and contract. I gave parents notice today that I would be closing officially on the 9th but since I already had holidays and vacation, my last open day would be the April 1.

Most of the parents were very understanding. However, the one that’s given me the hardest time since his kids enrolled is having a fit. He said he was shocked I only gave them a week’s notice (apparently he can’t count) and I should’ve given them a heads up that I was looking for a job to give them time to find other care.

My contract says 2 weeks notice by either party. I feel they got their 2 weeks notice. Am I wrong?

My vacation would’ve been paid, per my contract, but I’m waiving payment since the kids won’t be back after April 1.

The parent acknowledges that they won’t get the rates that I charge them from any other provider and says they only have so much in their budget so it may not be worth it for dcm to continue working. I currently don’t charge them for their school-aged child for days I have the child before and after school. I only charge a for the full days the child is here doing remote learning. The school currently does hybrid learning. During school breaks, they don’t always send the child to daycare every day and they don’t pay me for school breaks even though their contract says they’re supposed to. I have two other siblings from the same family full-time. I’ve found it easier to just let it go than repetitively explaining the contract terms to dcm when she’s here, and then again to dcd after hours when he calls me to complain about what dcm told him.

I’m taking it as they wanted me to give them the opportunity to leave me without income by telling them I was looking for a job ahead of time.

It’s amazing because parents have only given me two weeks notice or even less when they lose a job without consideration to how it affects my income. While I dislike it, it’s what the contract allows them to do and life circumstances can’t always be planned. I would’ve never called them after hours and hassled them because I felt they should’ve given me more notice than the contract called for.

I explained to the parent that it happened quickly for me and wasn’t really planned and that because I also had a vacation planned during the notice he is saving daycare costs for 2 kids for the week I had planned vacation. If he wants me to tell him I’m open until the 9th, that’s fine, but I’m still closed for vacation and he still has to pay me.

I’m having a hard time feeling guilty and am more aggravated that this person thinks they deserved more. Is just helps cement that I made the right decision given the parents expect me to provide more than my contract states and they don’t even pay me what the contract says.

I get that it’s difficult to find care for 3 kids. It’s actually next to impossible here because so many long-time daycares have closed. I asked around in my provider circle and 3 are closed/closing by summer. I’ve helped this family as much as I can at the expense of my own family. I’m a sole parent with an ex who refuses to pay his child support. Any break I give to another family costs my family.

Does anyone think I should’ve told this parent I was looking for a job sooner?

Thanks for “listening” to my rant. I know it’s been a long one.
Gemma 04:00 AM 03-24-2021
Congratulations on the new job, I hope it turns out to be even better than you imagine

...and don't let clients get to you, they'll move on and forget you ever existed!

Good luck!
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 03-24-2021
What?!? This parent is clearly very self-centered and definitely seems po'ed simply because they didn't break up with you first.

Honestly, I would ignore them and smile big KNOWING you did make the right decision all because of parents like them.

IF they continue to give you grief or make any kind of comments, term them immediately. You don't have to put up with the disrespect.

Congratulations on your new job!!! It sounds great!!!
Valerie928 07:38 AM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
Today I was unexpectedly offered a job. I saw the job posted on the school website last week and sent in an application. I mentioned it to a friend and the friend told me they knew the head of the department I applied for. Over the weekend my friend spoke to said friend about my application and came back to me with the number of the person responsible for hiring. I left a message and they called me back today and told me they trusted the person who gave him the referral and offered me the job on the spot. I still have to fill out paperwork and pass a background check, which I already have for daycare, but can start anytime.

I currently am open for daycare 7-5. We all know the day isn’t over when the last kid leaves and we can plan on another 2 hours of paperwork, cleaning and menu & activity planning. The new job is 6:30-2 and I’ll be making about the same money weekly plus have school breaks off with my own kids. No more getting up early and shoveling snow before dawn to clear out for daycare clients. I didn’t want to pass it up.

I had planned my very first vacation since 2016 from daycare for April 5-9 which I informed parents about mid-February. I’m also closed on Good Friday as set forth in my policy and contract. I gave parents notice today that I would be closing officially on the 9th but since I already had holidays and vacation, my last open day would be the April 1.

Most of the parents were very understanding. However, the one that’s given me the hardest time since his kids enrolled is having a fit. He said he was shocked I only gave them a week’s notice (apparently he can’t count) and I should’ve given them a heads up that I was looking for a job to give them time to find other care.

My contract says 2 weeks notice by either party. I feel they got their 2 weeks notice. Am I wrong?

My vacation would’ve been paid, per my contract, but I’m waiving payment since the kids won’t be back after April 1.

The parent acknowledges that they won’t get the rates that I charge them from any other provider and says they only have so much in their budget so it may not be worth it for dcm to continue working. I currently don’t charge them for their school-aged child for days I have the child before and after school. I only charge a for the full days the child is here doing remote learning. The school currently does hybrid learning. During school breaks, they don’t always send the child to daycare every day and they don’t pay me for school breaks even though their contract says they’re supposed to. I have two other siblings from the same family full-time. I’ve found it easier to just let it go than repetitively explaining the contract terms to dcm when she’s here, and then again to dcd after hours when he calls me to complain about what dcm told him.

I’m taking it as they wanted me to give them the opportunity to leave me without income by telling them I was looking for a job ahead of time.

It’s amazing because parents have only given me two weeks notice or even less when they lose a job without consideration to how it affects my income. While I dislike it, it’s what the contract allows them to do and life circumstances can’t always be planned. I would’ve never called them after hours and hassled them because I felt they should’ve given me more notice than the contract called for.

I explained to the parent that it happened quickly for me and wasn’t really planned and that because I also had a vacation planned during the notice he is saving daycare costs for 2 kids for the week I had planned vacation. If he wants me to tell him I’m open until the 9th, that’s fine, but I’m still closed for vacation and he still has to pay me.

I’m having a hard time feeling guilty and am more aggravated that this person thinks they deserved more. Is just helps cement that I made the right decision given the parents expect me to provide more than my contract states and they don’t even pay me what the contract says.

I get that it’s difficult to find care for 3 kids. It’s actually next to impossible here because so many long-time daycares have closed. I asked around in my provider circle and 3 are closed/closing by summer. I’ve helped this family as much as I can at the expense of my own family. I’m a sole parent with an ex who refuses to pay his child support. Any break I give to another family costs my family.

Does anyone think I should’ve told this parent I was looking for a job sooner?

Thanks for “listening” to my rant. I know it’s been a long one.
There's always going to be "THAT" parent Good luck to you!
DaveA 08:19 AM 03-24-2021
There’s always that one. Showed you that your decision was correct. Good luck in the new job!
Snowmom 09:10 AM 03-24-2021
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
The parent acknowledges that they won’t get the rates that I charge them from any other provider and says they only have so much in their budget so it may not be worth it for dcm to continue working.
I think I seriously would have laughed my a** off at this comment. Plus replied with "I guess you had it pretty good here, too bad you didn't appreciate it while it lasted."

Don't feel bad for them. It's their problem and they're trying to make it yours. It's not. Good things come and go!

Congratulations and enjoy your new venture.
lovemykidstoo 04:55 PM 03-24-2021
Hi! I haven't been here in a long time, but this same thing happened to me about August of 2019. I really was kinda looking, but not really looking for a long time. Nothing paid me what i was making with my daycare, so nothing really panned out. Until a job opportunity arose and I took it. Gave everyone 2 weeks notice. They were stunned, but most took it graciously. There was one that was pissed and pulled their son immediately. Just to stiff me on the last 2 weeks of pay, but it worked out great. They were a pain anyway. I have been finished with daycare and have since received a different job than the one I left daycare for. I love my new job, my boss texts me all the time saying how much he appreciates me and what I do. In the end, do what works for you and your family, because that's what matters. Our families would not hesitate to drop us if something happened in their lives.

I hope everyone is well. I bop in now and then to relive my daycare days and to see how everyone is!
Snowmom 06:56 AM 03-25-2021
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Hi! I haven't been here in a long time, but this same thing happened to me about August of 2019. I really was kinda looking, but not really looking for a long time. Nothing paid me what i was making with my daycare, so nothing really panned out. Until a job opportunity arose and I took it. Gave everyone 2 weeks notice. They were stunned, but most took it graciously. There was one that was pissed and pulled their son immediately. Just to stiff me on the last 2 weeks of pay, but it worked out great. They were a pain anyway. I have been finished with daycare and have since received a different job than the one I left daycare for. I love my new job, my boss texts me all the time saying how much he appreciates me and what I do. In the end, do what works for you and your family, because that's what matters. Our families would not hesitate to drop us if something happened in their lives.

I hope everyone is well. I bop in now and then to relive my daycare days and to see how everyone is!
Glad to hear it's going well!
Sunshine69 12:31 PM 03-31-2021
Thank you all for the kind wishes.

The day after I gave my notice, the daycare kids were being very sweet and I started to feel sad, but that was short-lived. I will get to see the school-aged kids in my new job, so that will be nice.

For the most part, my dcms have been good at expressing appreciation over the years, it's a different story with most dcds I've had.

Dcps had a hard time finding care. One family decided to adjust their work schedule as they couldn't find affordable care, another family has to travel another 30 minutes out of the way for care. All have told me the rates they are being quoted are $100/wk. more per child than I charge and some providers are closed Fridays.

The family whose dcd gave me a hard time is going to pay $400 more per week than they were paying me. Dcm asked me if I thought $250/wk. per child was price gouging. I explained that anyone working 50 hours a week (which is how long I have her children) at minimum wage would make $687.50, not including benefits. She seemed surprised that they'd want to make minimum wage and get paid for overtime. Then I informed her of the costs that I've incurred (food, soap, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, furniture, activities, fixing things the kids broke, toys, etc.) Let her do the math.

I had a therapist in last week complaining how her friend was looking for childcare and could only find one opening but the provider took all school breaks, too, so she didn't know how it works for working parents. Hmm. Same way it does when the child is old enough to attend school?

If a typical provider cares for children 50 hrs./wk. for 52, that equals 2,600 hrs. A parent working 40 hours a week for 50 weeks (2 weeks of vacation), works 2,000 hrs. Six hundred hours or 15 wks. at 40 hrs./wk. is a lot. Parents seem oblivious to this difference. What a dream it would be to only have to do daycare related things during the hours the children are present, too.

I recently got a new regulation emailed to me regarding prevention of food-related anaphylaxis requiring changes to all providers' health care plans and additional training. I can't help but wonder why this training is only required of childcare providers and not parents of anaphylactic children and anyone who makes or serves food to the public. Why are childcare providers held to such a high standard while looked upon by society as uneducated, lazy, stay-at-home gold diggers? I'm glad I know better. I just wish every parent looking for childcare did.
grandmom 03:14 PM 03-31-2021
If the table was turned, the parents wouldn't hesitate to make the change. Move on.
Tags:closing daycare - how to, new job, two week notice
Reply Up