Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Creative Coat Hangers/Cubby Ideas?
newtodaycare22 10:28 AM 12-14-2010
I have a piece on the wall with 4 coat hangers, which works fine except that I'm about to have 6 kids. I love the idea of making a bookshelf into cubbies but I don't have enough room for that. Any other creative ideas? I think a regular coat rack (the pole kind) would get knocked over. I have preschoolers so they are pretty self sufficient...but still 3s and 4s Thanks!
laundrymom 10:32 AM 12-14-2010
I have a pic of my cubbies if you want to see.

Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
I have a piece on the wall with 4 coat hangers, which works fine except that I'm about to have 6 kids. I love the idea of making a bookshelf into cubbies but I don't have enough room for that. Any other creative ideas? I think a regular coat rack (the pole kind) would get knocked over. I have preschoolers so they are pretty self sufficient...but still 3s and 4s Thanks!

newtodaycare22 10:35 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have a pic of my cubbies if you want to see.
Sure I'd love it! Can you post it on here or should I give you my email?
laundrymom 10:42 AM 12-14-2010
well, I learned how to multi quote,.. someone post how to post a pic, lol
momofsix 10:49 AM 12-14-2010
I have NO room in my entryway, so I just hung the large (not huge) 3M hooks on my front closet door. they are strong enough to hold the coats and backpacks with no problems. Sorry I have no cubby suggestions, I never used them.
KEG123 10:49 AM 12-14-2010
Do you have photobucket or other image hosting service?? if you, copy and paste the IMG code.
Blackcat31 10:56 AM 12-14-2010
well, I learned how to multi quote,.. someone post how to post a pic, lol
This is from another thread and a post from Michael:
To upload an attachment:

1) After writing your post look below your comment area and you will see a button called Manage Attachments.
2) Click on the button and you will see 4 areas to upload load files.
3) Once you choose the image from your computer, click on the "Upload Image button".
4) Once the image is uploaded you will see the image name under "Current Attachments"
5) Click on the Close Window button and the bottom and post your image. I will include one at the bottom:

The Second way to post an image from and existing URL web address:
1) First find the picture on the webpage and right click your mouse over it. Click on "Properties" at the bottom of the dropdown window.
2) Copy the entire address (URL) of the picture. It will look like this: https://www.daycare.com/premiumpages/00138466/6.jpg
3) In your reply to this post you will see an icon that looks like a mountain.
Click on it and post the address that you copied for your picture.
laundrymom 11:00 AM 12-14-2010
not sure if this worked, but my cubbies, and the top of them, this was before my "room makeover in my cda class."
laundrymom 11:03 AM 12-14-2010
trying again
Attached: 100_6336.jpg (94.9 KB) 100_6386.jpg (93.2 KB) 
laundrymom 11:04 AM 12-14-2010
whoo hoo did it! thanks for the insturctions!!!!
DCMomOf3 11:56 AM 12-14-2010
I have a 5-hook rack fixed to the wall by the door and a stand of cubbies for diapers/crafts, ect. I did buy a rolling rack on clearance at Lakeshore but it's too long for my space (didnt' measure right) so I can't use it. I wish I had shelves like yours. My kids' school has cubbies like yours laundrymom, I love them!
MG&Lsmom 12:20 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I have NO room in my entryway, so I just hung the large (not huge) 3M hooks on my front closet door. they are strong enough to hold the coats and backpacks with no problems. Sorry I have no cubby suggestions, I never used them.
I have these (found Disney Princess ones on clearance at Target) for coats and a stack of Closet Maid cubbies to the right of them to hold shoes, hats and mittens. We live in a small split entry house and only have room for a small wall hung coat rack at the middle landing. You walk right up into my 10x10 dinning room so I only have one 4ft long x 1ft deep space there for storage. Otherwise you block the walkway and it looks cluttered.
Abigail 02:42 PM 12-14-2010
How large of an area do you have to work with? Do you have open wall space above the area you are currently using for your four? If you have younger children, I would add two more spaces up high so you or the parents will have to access it for them. We are not allowed to have a self standing coat rack like the pole kind because the kid's coats are not allowed to touch. If you have a picture of the area, we could probably recommend when to move your jacket area too if you want to adjust where things are some. You can also split up the coat/backpack area into two areas if you will not have room along one area. I'm not sure if you let the parents/kids enter through a garage, but one person I know has her cubbies lined up along side of the garage so they never even come inside. That was smart thinking. I just wouldn't want kids next to our cars.
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:41 PM 12-14-2010
not sure if this worked, but my cubbies, and the top of them, this was before my "room makeover in my cda class."
Can I see an "after" picture? It looks so neat as the "before" picture, i can't imagine how good a room makeover "after" picture would be!
laundrymom 04:40 PM 12-14-2010
I'll post tommorrow. Lol long day. Getting ready to put my girlies to bed.
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Can I see an "after" picture? It looks so neat as the "before" picture, i can't imagine how good a room makeover "after" picture would be!

SilverSabre25 06:48 PM 12-14-2010
I got two set of hooks from Target when they were on sale for $14--there are six hooks each and I have one set at kid level and another set at adult level. They screwed into the wall beautifully and are awesome. I love them. Someday I will contrive a way to hang pockets or something to store hats/gloves/socks, maybe even shoes, but that's a ways away. I'll post pictures, of the space and the hooks themselves, after I go clean the area up
SilverSabre25 07:00 PM 12-14-2010
Okay, so that didn't take too long. Don't ask what I did with the stuff that didn't belong where it was...
Attached: 003.jpg (88.3 KB) 004.jpg (96.5 KB) 
Abigail 08:20 PM 12-14-2010
Silver Sabre:....what does your name mean? LOL, anyways, do you usually have rugs in your entry way?
SilverSabre25 08:38 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Silver Sabre:....what does your name mean? LOL, anyways, do you usually have rugs in your entry way?
I chose this as my email address when I was a teenager and a fencer. I can't fence any more (although really want to get back to it someday!) but haven't felt like changing the name...it's my user name pretty much everywhere!

I usually have a mat down, but when I was cleaning a few weeks ago I moved it and now I can't find it. I *think* it's in the laundry room, but I'm not sure...and I haven't had time to look!
laundrymom 08:42 AM 12-15-2010
that looks cool,

I love the seperate entry. Away from everything else.

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Okay, so that didn't take too long. Don't ask what I did with the stuff that didn't belong where it was...

laundrymom 08:46 AM 12-15-2010
ok, here is my entry room,... cubbies, dollys legos and water toys on top shelf, art manipulatives, first aid, soft blocks on middle, reference, cardboard blocks, puzzles, color wheels, diapering supplies and payment box on next. Everyone who is in diapers has a cubby. Pull up and under kids have a plastic drawer and hook for coat on opposite sites of cubbies, then is my parent board, and cots.
Attached: 100_6593.jpg (95.4 KB) 100_6594.jpg (95.1 KB) 100_6595.jpg (94.2 KB) 100_6596.jpg (94.1 KB) 
laundrymom 08:50 AM 12-15-2010
and here is our computer area, where school kids do homework, all office stuff happens, and our paint storage, infant outdoor toy storage, and out digital frame, webcam for the parents, etc....
Attached: 100_6597.jpg (93.0 KB) 100_6600.jpg (89.8 KB) 100_6601.jpg (92.9 KB) 
laundrymom 08:56 AM 12-15-2010
and here is our display wall, our clock in the childs height, games, blocks, puzzles, books, parachute, see it tubes, and sling and extra pnp.
Attached: 100_6605.jpg (93.7 KB) 100_6604.jpg (90.5 KB) 
Childminder 10:18 AM 12-15-2010
Laundrymom, I totally love the art display with the line and am going to steal the idea.
MommyMuffin 10:24 AM 12-15-2010
Laundrymom I really like it too! How do you keep the 1 - 2 yos from grabbing everything off the shelves? Maybe mine are the only ones that are so destructive!!
laundrymom 10:33 AM 12-15-2010
I tell them no. they do NOT cross the threshhold into the front room. They arent allowed in there unless invited. ever. I use gates sometimes for my 9 mo old but hes the only one,.. when they start crawling I put the gate up but dont latch it, just lean it, so if he pulls on it it falls on him gently,... scares the begeezers out of them and after a few times they stop.
They just know better. I just say NO.
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Laundrymom I really like it too! How do you keep the 1 - 2 yos from grabbing everything off the shelves? Maybe mine are the only ones that are so destructive!!

Tags:coat hanger, cubbies, cubby
Reply Up