Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Florida Providers!
Imagination's Creations 07:53 AM 02-03-2015
I currently live in IL and Im thinking about moving to Fl. Where do you guys live? What is average going rate for child care by you? Is the business good where you are?
Laurel 08:40 AM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by Imagination's Creations:
I currently live in IL and Im thinking about moving to Fl. Where do you guys live? What is average going rate for child care by you? Is the business good where you are?
I am in the Ft. Lauderdale area (southeast). My rate was $150. Probably could get $160 though. Business was great here until the housing crisis several years ago. It could have picked up as the economy is but six months ago (when I retired) the child care business was really, really, slow and had been for a long time. Wish it was better news!

Also, in Florida, we have VPK (voluntary pre kindergarten). That means that parents get free pre-k for their child when they turn 4 years old. That took away business also. Home providers CAN do VPK but it really is hardly worth it due to the requirements. You have to have 4 children I think and we are only allowed 6 in my county total. So it is hard to find 4 at 4 years old plus they'll only be here till they start kindergarten at 5 so most providers don't bother with trying VPK at their homes. Also, we must ONLY work with the 4 year olds during VPK hours so we'd have to have a sub watch the other children. So it is a bust.

Also, in Florida, there are general state regulations but some counties (like mine) add their own regulations and ours were higher and more of a pain but not too bad. So check the COUNTIES' child care rules where you plan to move.

Laurel
slpender 09:28 AM 02-03-2015
I am in Fort Myers I just closed my Family Child Care last week because we are moving out of state. In Lee county we just had to follow State Regs I was a school year only home my last 3 years because I had all teachers. My rates were $120-$130 a week depending on hours I was always full with a wait list because my clients were great with referrals. Do you know where in Florida you will be moving to. I know Broward, Palm Beach Sarasota, Hillsbrough and Pinellas county have their own county regs on top of state regs.
BabyMonkeys 10:50 AM 02-04-2015
I'm in Maitland. I charge $175, and I'm pretty sure I'm the most expensive home daycare in the area. I only accept infants, and only 3 at a time, unless one of my current families have another one. I opened last year and immediately found 2 parents with newborns. The boys are only 5 days apart. A few months later I advertised for the 3rd position and immediately filled that with a baby that wasn't even born yet. On the other hand, I have a friend that charges $120 a week and has had a lot of problems finding good families.

I suggest you find a niche and fill it.
Reply Up