Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First HFM Experience
HappyEverAfter 10:53 AM 10-09-2017
So DCM called to say DCG has HFM. 🙁 She hasn't been here in 11 days because her family went on vacation and they suspect she got it at the beach house they rented. That is good for me in that it means my house wasn't exposed to it. DCM is keeping her out through Wednesday. My question is should I tell other parents? I only keep two other kids, both infants. Technically they haven't been exposed to it but there is still some risk when she returns to care on Thursday. At that point she won't have had a fever for a week and her sores are supposedly already beginning to dry up. Because my other kids are infants I can keep them separated when she does come back but with it being viral, the risk is still there to some degree. One parent likely won't care. The other parent will probably flip out. So do I inform the other parents or not?
daycarediva 11:04 AM 10-09-2017
I would tell parents that you and other child's parents have taken every single precaution to prevent the spread and she has been absent for the entire duration of her illness.

Separate entirely. NO touching the babies at all, or even in the same toys.

HFM is nasty stuff.
HappyEverAfter 12:36 PM 10-09-2017
I sent a text to the other parents explaining the situation and that any and all precautions were being taken. The one parent I wasn't worried about thanked me for letting her know and then commented how bad she felt for the DCG who was sick. This is one of the many reasons I adore this DCM. 😊
The parent I was dreading telling has read my text but not replied. I have a feeling she is trying to arrange back up care for this week as she is super overprotective of her child. I wouldn't be surprised if she even asks for a discount for not bringing him this week. (That isn't happening.) She is my only high maintenance parent and her son is my only high maintenance child.
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 10-09-2017
As a precaution I always tell parents when anything contagious happens. Whether IN my care or to a child enrolled in my care; even if exposure is unlikely.

I just print out a sheet with the necessary info (causes, treatment, exclusion times etc) for each family and that is that. I don't text it as I personally feel the info sheets are a much more productive method of informing the parent.
Tags:hand foot and mouth, hand foot mouth illness rash, hfm
Reply Up