Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Close or Remain Open?
Baby Beluga 07:33 AM 10-06-2017
Wed, Thurs and Fri of next week I have one student scheduled to attend (all others are out because of fall breaks and family vacations.)

I am closed on Thursday to take my little guy to the GI doc.
Should I close on Friday as well?

The family who is scheduled to attend on Friday has back up care although I am unsure if they are able to utilize this on Friday.

Part of me would LOVE a personal day. I have been sick for 2 weeks and am incredibly worn out. And part of me would be super guilty for closing late minute.

In the past I have remained open for one child. It's something I don't mind doing.

WWYD? If you close would you give the parents the option or just simply close?

ETA: Another reason I am hesitant to close is because I am unsure if DS will need any procedures performed. If he does these would be scheduled on a different day and would require more time off.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Wed, Thurs and Fri of next week I have one student scheduled to attend (all others are out because of fall breaks and family vacations.)

The family who is scheduled to attend on Friday has back up care although I am unsure if they are able to utilize this on Friday.

Part of me would LOVE a personal day. I have been sick for 2 weeks and am incredibly worn out. And part of me would be super guilty for closing late minute.

In the past I have remained open for one child. It's something I don't mind doing.

ETA: Another reason I am hesitant to close is because I am unsure if DS will need any procedures performed. If he does these would be scheduled on a different day and would require more time off.
I have a policy that says any time attendance is low or less than 3 children, I will close. With advance notice of course.

The ONLY exception to that is if I KNOW a family absolutely 100% needs me.....(but my families are required to have back up care) but I usually always fall back to the concept that in this field unplanned days off are a rarity so I take them when the opportunity arises and never feel bad about doing so...
amberrose3dg 08:23 AM 10-06-2017
I would try and close asap. I would not be open for one child unless a special need to be. I am closed between Christmas and new years because of this. I was open for Christmas break last year. The only kids that came were parents that weren't even working and just wanted free time. This year is the same I expect only 1 or 2 families so I let them know I would be closed.
daycarediva 09:07 AM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a policy that says any time attendance is low or less than 3 children, I will close. With advance notice of course.

The ONLY exception to that is if I KNOW a family absolutely 100% needs me.....(but my families are required to have back up care) but I usually always fall back to the concept that in this field unplanned days off are a rarity so I take them when the opportunity arises and never feel bad about doing so...
same policy. Close, refund or offer a credit or whatever you need to do. These days happen so infrequently in this field that I think it's important to take those opportunities when they arise!
CityGarden 09:38 AM 10-06-2017
I would not close but that is because I follow the local school district calendar and already have a generous amount of paid scheduled days off.
HappyEverAfter 09:48 AM 10-06-2017
I wouldn't close, even though I would want to. Perhaps with more notice I would consider it but not this close. The past 2 days and today I have only had one child because my others are on vacation. I wish I was off altogether but just having the one child somewhat feels like a vacation. Mine is an infant so that gives me a lot of quiet time since he naps multiple times a day. If your one child is a little older maybe you could plan something special like a movie day that would be fun for the child but allow you some down time.
Unregistered 09:50 AM 10-06-2017
Close.

I refuse to feel guilty for taking a much needed R & R day, especially when we already work long days/weeks.
LittleScholars 09:52 AM 10-06-2017

In previous years I stayed open for one kiddo. Now I ask parents to secure back up and try to use these as personal days. The parents are so appreciative that I take so little unplanned time off and are more than happy to try to find back up care. If they can't secure care last minute and I have one kiddo we have pj/movie/baking day, because it completely breaks all of my rules and is special bonding time. I have one kiddo coming on Columbus Day because mom couldn't secure back up and we are having one of these special days.
Baby Beluga 10:03 AM 10-06-2017
My max group is 4 children, so I have remained open for 1 child plenty of times. And normally it is not something that bothers me.

It's just a combination of being sick, still working (my choice) and feeling an overall run down "blah" feeling that has me wanting to close.

Normally when I close all day or early I simply tell the parents what I am doing. I drafted this email, but have not sent it. Is it too...unprofessional? I truly don't want to put the family in a bind, but if they are able to send little one with with family (that lives nearby) or just keep her home (both mom/dad work from home) then I would love an unexpected day off.

Hi DCP,

I hope you guys are having an awesome Friday!

Next Friday (10/13) DCG is my only student scheduled to attend; everyone else will be out because of vacations and older siblings fall breaks. If I were to close and take a personal day, do you have backup for DCG?

I know next week will likely be a busy week for you since DCD is starting his new job and I certainly don’t want to put you in a bind. If you have available backup care for DCG I would like to close on 10/13 and will credit tuition for that day. However if you do not have backup care for GDCG I will happily remain open and plan a few fun activities for her and I to do.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Sounds like I am asking permission. Which, I kind of am.

FWIW - this little one will also be the only child on Wednesday. I wouldn't dare close for both days though. I would find that to be too unreliable.
Unregistered 10:20 AM 10-06-2017
In my opinion, I would just email her saying that you are going to closed.
Once you open that door of seeking permission, they will expect it, IME.
KSDC 10:49 AM 10-06-2017
This would depend a little on the child/family. if they are a golden family, I would send the email just as you wrote it. Give them a choice.

If either the child or the parents are "high-maintenance", then I wouldn't give a choice.
Next Friday (10/13) DCG is my only student scheduled to attend; everyone else will be out because of vacations and older siblings fall breaks. Therefore, ABC Daycare will be closed for the day.

HappyEverAfter 10:54 AM 10-06-2017

Hi DCP,

I hope you guys are having an awesome Friday!

Next Friday (10/13) DCG is my only student scheduled to attend; everyone else will be out because of vacations and older siblings fall breaks. If I were to close and take a personal day, do you have backup for DCG?

I know next week will likely be a busy week for you since DCD is starting his new job and I certainly don’t want to put you in a bind. If you have available backup care for DCG I would like to close on 10/13 and will credit tuition for that day. However if you do not have backup care for GDCG I will happily remain open and plan a few fun activities for her and I to do.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Sounds like I am asking permission. Which, I kind of am.

FWIW - this little one will also be the only child on Wednesday. I wouldn't dare close for both days though. I would find that to be too unreliable.

I wouldn't ask them. In the long run it is probably best to just decide on your own and then inform the parents rather than asking.
Max 12:47 PM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by KSDC:
This would depend a little on the child/family. if they are a golden family, I would send the email just as you wrote it. Give them a choice.

If either the child or the parents are "high-maintenance", then I wouldn't give a choice.
Next Friday (10/13) DCG is my only student scheduled to attend; everyone else will be out because of vacations and older siblings fall breaks. Therefore, ABC Daycare will be closed for the day.
I agree with this. If it's a family that's very appreciate, respectful, flexible, etc. then I see no harm in asking as a way to reciprocate those qualities.
hwichlaz 12:59 PM 10-06-2017
I think this tells clients that they aren't important if they are the only ones in care. I'd stay open, but plan something that I don't get to do with a full house.
Baby Beluga 01:53 PM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I think this tells clients that they aren't important if they are the only ones in care. I'd stay open, but plan something that I don't get to do with a full house.
This is a very good point and not something I want this family to feel.

This family is golden btw. Wish I could clone them and be best friends with mom and dad, golden.

I think based on the fact that I posted this here for validation tells me it is something I am not 100% comfortable with. Likely because in the back of my head I was worried that they would feel unimportant or guilted into keeping DCG home.

I will just remain open and plan some fun activities for her and I to do. If mom notices she is my only child (DCG is my last drop off and first pick up) and offers to keep her home because of this then I will offer to credit tuition. Otherwise, looks like DCG and I will get some fall baking done. I've been waiting to make pumpkin pull apart bread anyway...
Lil_Diddle 08:33 PM 10-06-2017
Since it's such late notice, personally I would not close but just tell the parent exactly what you said on here. Just ask if their back up would be available because you would love a personal day. I bet more than likely the parents would understand and try to work with you. Unless it's an emergency I always like to give as much notice as possible so they have time themselves to make a plan
Mummy101 04:38 PM 10-10-2017

Close! Give the reason or don't, either way, your life matters too! I make it clear to my families that they MUST have back up care at ALL times! I used to always stay open even when I should have closed to take better care of my own sick children. Do not feel guilty, guilt is for when you have done something wrong..and you haven't!

PS don't give the option unless you want to be open that day.
LittleScholars 09:20 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
I agree with this. If it's a family that's very appreciate, respectful, flexible, etc. then I see no harm in asking as a way to reciprocate those qualities.
I agree. I have *mostly* great families now, and they have appreciated this. They want me to have days off and they've shared that they really appreciate that I try to minimize the impact on families. They know that if they are inconvenienced this time it will balance out when they are benefited another time. If they know they can secure back up care, they do; if they can't, they are honest about that and I stay open. Days that I plan to close in advance and non-negotiable, but I feel more comfortable offering the option when I don't provide much advanced notice (barring an emergency). I do know that I am really lucky to have this sort of working relationship with families, and this would not have always worked with families.

I also acknowledge that this doesn't help draw a hard line between business/personal relationships. Currently, these give-and-take relationships are working well for me, but I learned a hard lesson with a previous family.
AmyKidsCo 12:15 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Since it's such late notice, personally I would not close but just tell the parent exactly what you said on here. Just ask if their back up would be available because you would love a personal day. I bet more than likely the parents would understand and try to work with you. Unless it's an emergency I always like to give as much notice as possible so they have time themselves to make a plan
I'd totally do this with some families - the ones that offer to keep their child home when they find out he/she is the only one coming that day.

But you have to know your families. Sometimes I've tried to hint that they should keep their child home and they say "Oh good, lots of one-in-one time with Miss Amy!"

If it was a family I knew had easy back-up care I'd be more likely to close but if back-up is further away or harder to arrange I'd stay open.
Tags:day off
Reply Up