Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Switching All DayCare to 2 Sessions for Infant/Toddler Program
aceofjade 02:18 PM 02-28-2019
I've had my childcare home for almost 3 years now. 12 kids ages 2-5. I'm considering transitioning into more of an infant/toddler program but split the day into AM and PM slots. There are a lot of preschools and daycares in my area, but not many infant/toddler development-type programs. I want to be somewhat like a Gymboree but a drop off instead of Mommy and Me classes. The only problem is majority of parents work and are looking for all-day care. But I also know there is a need for infant and toddler classes. Has anyone ever done something like this, either switch from all day to 2 sessions or create a more formal child development program in their home? Any advice is appreciated. I have a teaching credential and I used to be a speech language therapy assistant as well.
jenboo 03:41 PM 02-28-2019
Originally Posted by aceofjade:
I've had my childcare home for almost 3 years now. 12 kids ages 2-5. I'm considering transitioning into more of an infant/toddler program but split the day into AM and PM slots. There are a lot of preschools and daycares in my area, but not many infant/toddler development-type programs. I want to be somewhat like a Gymboree but a drop off instead of Mommy and Me classes. The only problem is majority of parents work and are looking for all-day care. But I also know there is a need for infant and toddler classes. Has anyone ever done something like this, either switch from all day to 2 sessions or create a more formal child development program in their home? Any advice is appreciated. I have a teaching credential and I used to be a speech language therapy assistant as well.
I used to do an infant childcare (0-2yrs) part time is HARD. Babies need consistent schedules. If you have kids under 1 or even 18 months, they are going to need two naps a day.. a half day program would pretty much be breakfast, diaper, nap, diaper, pick up.

I don't think it would work well. Now a full day infant program is usually in high demand.
Cat Herder 05:21 AM 03-01-2019
You would probably need to be located in an upper-income metro area to make this work.

My market would not support it.

I am not sure how any market could with an average ratio of one adult to three infants.
Tags:infants, toddlers
Reply Up