Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The LOUD Cryer!!!!
lilcupcakes09 10:44 AM 01-29-2013
I'm so waiting for this summer....my dcb that I could just do without will be going to preschool

As I sit here typing he is in my room in p&p screaming his head off as loud as possible because his nap is over. We are 30 mins into naptime right now, this boy requires no sleep during the day. His nap is 40 mins max if I am lucky, the rest of the time is spent crying, screaming, or banging loudly on the p&p. When he is through with his nap, he will stand up and scream bloody murder as if someone has just pinched him.
He is 18 months old and has done this as long as I can remember, he never slept much as a baby either. This behavior continues because he is picked up whenever he cries for whatever reason. Here he stays until naptime in over, luckily I have a separate room for him and the others sleep through what they can hear. He doesn't talk much yet, just screams for everything, it drives me insane! He is also the child who is too much for his parents to handle, he is left here pretty much until closing each day, put to bed 2 hours after being picked up,then brought back in the am, and still doesn't sleep through the night.

Wooosssaaa.......
mbullette 01:56 PM 01-29-2013
I have 2 year old who does the same thing. He will sleep for maybe 30 mins if I am lucky and then screams. My nap time is 2 hours long. How long do you let him scream for? I thought after him screaming for days he would get the hint but he still keeps on screaming.
daycare 02:04 PM 01-29-2013
I cant stand kids screaming..

when they do, I say this...

I understand or I am sorry you are feeling sad, frustrated, angry ________( fill in blank) and that is ok, but you will not scream...

for me that works...
AnneCordelia 03:01 PM 01-29-2013
I use the same words at naptime as daycare. I also sacrifice a few days and devote them to proper napping. Lol. My kids all nap in one room and I sit. I say "Lie down please. Time for sleep. Shhhhhhhhh." My 18mo dcb understands these words and takes it more seriously when I am right there to correct immediately. Maybe being there to correct before he gets to the screaming point might help?
daycare 03:27 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I use the same words at naptime as daycare. I also sacrifice a few days and devote them to proper napping. Lol. My kids all nap in one room and I sit. I say "Lie down please. Time for sleep. Shhhhhhhhh." My 18mo dcb understands these words and takes it more seriously when I am right there to correct immediately. Maybe being there to correct before he gets to the screaming point might help?
I also do this... I have kids from 18 month to 5 years all in the same room and everyone naps every day no issues. was it always like this NO, but it took time to break in the new kids by sitting by them and keeping them on their mat. I did whatever I had to do to get them to nap. It usually only took me a few days before I have them onto nap mats and snoring without much assistance from me...
makap 05:27 PM 01-29-2013
Preschool at 18 months?. Have you tried a nap cot? Perhaps it is the confinement that is making him scream? Does he have a "big boy" bed at home.
lilcupcakes09 06:38 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by makap:
Preschool at 18 months?. Have you tried a nap cot? Perhaps it is the confinement that is making him scream? Does he have a "big boy" bed at home.
Yes preschool once he turns 2.... and a napmat would just be disasterous. He would not stay on it at all, he is one of those kids who needs to take every single toy out of the bins, he is like a little tornado, no matter how much he is told no he doesnt get the point.

And let me clarify, he is not screaming "crying", he is just screaming with this loud annoying fake cry. When he wakes up he is truly crying and I simply lay him back down and cover him up and tell him to go night night. He stays in there the full 2 hour nap time, usually in between making noises he is quiet for a few mins here and there relaxing. He needs that extra downtime, I learned a long time ago that getting him up would only make my afternoons worse= whinny whinny kid until closing!
Tags:crying, loud
Reply Up