Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head Lice
NH&M 09:10 PM 11-15-2017
Hello,
I have a home daycare. One of my kiddos parents let me know at 9:30 tonight that their child has head lice. I've read a few policies and have one as far as when the child may return. However this is only the second time that I have had to deal with this. The first time was about 6 months ago, the same child. I am closing tomorrow so that I can completely treat my home. I did this last time as well. Do most people close for a day? or is this overkill? I know that tomorrows parents are inconvenienced and a few are annoyed. I feel that they would be more inconvenienced and annoyed if their children went home with head lice....
Ladybugs 06:24 AM 11-16-2017
Ugh, lice is a nightmare. If this is the second time in 6 months this child has had lice, that tells me that, most likely, the parents aren’t treating him and/or the home very effectively.

Pave never dealt with lice in daycare but I certainly think closing for a day is reasonable. Not sure what your state regs are but you could always tell the other parents that you’re required to close for 24 hours for treatment. I would recommend that you exclude that child until you see for yourself that there are no lice, nits or eggs in his hair (check several spots throughout his head and if you see anything, back home he goes). Good luck!
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by NH&M:
Hello,
I have a home daycare. One of my kiddos parents let me know at 9:30 tonight that their child has head lice. I've read a few policies and have one as far as when the child may return. However this is only the second time that I have had to deal with this. The first time was about 6 months ago, the same child. I am closing tomorrow so that I can completely treat my home. I did this last time as well. Do most people close for a day? or is this overkill? I know that tomorrows parents are inconvenienced and a few are annoyed. I feel that they would be more inconvenienced and annoyed if their children went home with head lice....
This child has had lice twice in 6 months?

I'd be worried about the source.

Most people that have dealt with lice go to great lengths to not have to a repeat so I'd be concerned about the source and why it's happening again.

As for returning to daycare? I wouldn't let them in the door without checking that they are 100% bug and nit free.

I'd also limit where their personal items are stored.

I am not afraid or grossed out by lice at all (it was so common in Head Start that Im just used to it) but the amount of time and attention it take to alleviate the issues is just not something I am willing to do very often.

This might not be well received by some but I'd consider terming a child that has lice "frequently". NOT because of any judgment or fears but because of the time needed to FULLY and ADEQUATELY address and eliminate the situation.
lovemykidstoo 07:07 PM 11-16-2017
Oh I'm so sorry. I had a case of it (well ended up being 2 cases) last summer. In nearly 17 years I had not faced it and I freaked. I made the person that had it first stay out a week and then to be checked by the doctor first. Same with 2nd child. It was funny because when I discovered it, I sent everyone home and told them to do a treatment. Everyone did except 1 child and that 1 child is the one that got it second. I cleaned everything, but then found out they don't live off the head long, so that really was for my own piece of mind, but it did end the ole diaper bag coming into my house. Now they bring me 1 change of clothes, diapers and wipes and that is it. I wish you the best of luck!
HappyEverAfter 09:18 PM 11-16-2017
Ugh, that stinks. I would close in order to clean everything really well. Any of that child's personal items would be bagged up. And as a parent I'd be annoyed to have to deal with the hassle but would appreciate and be glad my provider closed in order to clean properly. Side note, I previously had a coworker who got lice and couldn't seem to get it to go away. Turns out her dog was infested so it didn't matter how often she treated herself because the dog was all over the house and she just kept getting reinfected. So if you have pets, check and treat them too!
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Ugh, that stinks. I would close in order to clean everything really well. Any of that child's personal items would be bagged up. And as a parent I'd be annoyed to have to deal with the hassle but would appreciate and be glad my provider closed in order to clean properly. Side note, I previously had a coworker who got lice and couldn't seem to get it to go away. Turns out her dog was infested so it didn't matter how often she treated herself because the dog was all over the house and she just kept getting reinfected. So if you have pets, check and treat them too!
Head lice are specific to humans. You can get human lice only from other humans. You cannot give your pets lice

https://www.ndhealth.gov/head-lice/p..._and_facts.pdf
HappyEverAfter 07:51 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Head lice are specific to humans. You can get human lice only from other humans. You cannot give your pets lice

https://www.ndhealth.gov/head-lice/p..._and_facts.pdf
Hmmm, interesting. She must have lied about it when she said that's what happened. She actually ended up getting fired because she missed so many days over it. Now Im Wondering if she really had it all those times or if she was just using it as an excuse to miss work.
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Hmmm, interesting. She must have lied about it when she said that's what happened. She actually ended up getting fired because she missed so many days over it. Now Im Wondering if she really had it all those times or if she was just using it as an excuse to miss work.
What an "icky" excuse. I would have tried super duper hard to find something different to lie about for sure.

But in all honesty she might very well have thought the lice was coming from her pets. They could also have been flea infested so who knows but I do know there are more myths about lice than there are facts and the only reason I know any of what I do is because I worked at Head Start and had to deal with lice pretty frequently so I am OVERLY trained in lice removal and treatment.
midaycare 08:01 AM 11-17-2017
I hate lice. I hate the thought of it. I hate posts about it. My head itches just thinking about it.

I would probably overreact if it showed up here. I would definitely check the child for any sign of them before returning.
Tags:head lice, home daycare, policy
Reply Up