Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Give a Child a Laxative?
preschoolteacher 06:11 PM 06-04-2014
A family asked me to mix Miralax into their child's first bottle of the day today due to constipation. Is this a typical thing to do at daycare? I've never been asked to give a laxative before.
Unregistered 06:36 PM 06-04-2014
Been doing daycare for almost 10 years and never had given any children in care or my own a laxative during that time, until this year. Now I have 2 out of my group of 5, who take it daily.
LysesKids 06:37 PM 06-04-2014
ummm.. NO. Why would I want to deal with the after effects? I don't give meds unless it's life or death or an antibiotic that is given over 3 times day
midaycare 06:45 PM 06-04-2014
I have not and I would only at the end of the day if I had didnt have to deal with it.
TwinKristi 06:51 PM 06-04-2014
I just termed a mom for slipping Miralax in her DCGs morning milk she brought her. I knew she was putting a probiotic in it because she'd had diarrhea a couple weeks before. Mom didn't tell me until later after DCG pooped 6x in 5 hrs (and in her undies which is unusual) and I texted her a little worried something was up. I have never been so mad.
I have a policy now that I have to have a drs note and meds in the original bottle/package and I have to feel comfortable with it. The idea of a big explosive poop at daycare is not my idea of comfortable.
cheerfuldom 06:52 PM 06-04-2014
they can mix and offer at home. This is a once a day thing usually and there is no reason why they cant deal with this at home. I also suggest the evenings so they can deal with the diapers for the evening/night. I would also make they know that you will send home a child whose poo cannot be contained in a diaper. So if the miralax works overtime, they need to address the dosage. If the child has never had it before, they should start on a Friday evening so they have all weekend to address any reaction or adverse effect. There is no reason for you to do any of this. I had to be so harsh but is sounds like lazy parenting....throw it all off on the daycare provider.
SignMeUp 07:13 PM 06-04-2014
Would You Give a Child a Laxative?
Sounds like an awesome book title
Cradle2crayons 07:46 PM 06-04-2014
I recommend parents give a laxative at home on a Friday afternoon. That way it's resolved by Monday. If they can't wait until Friday and they had a dr note, I wouldn't mind giving it at afternoon snack becUse it usually doesn't work for several hours and hey should be home by then.

I also explain to parents hat if hey give their child a laxative and they have more than two stools I will call for immediate pickup.

The reason WHY the child has diarrhea doesn't matter.

And personally I think it's crappy (pardon the pun) for a parent to expect a provider to deal with he fallout of laxative use.
preschoolteacher 08:03 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
And personally I think it's crappy (pardon the pun) for a parent to expect a provider to deal with he fallout of laxative use.
This is how I felt about it.

I don't think they consciously thought "hey, she's at daycare today so lets pass the diarrhea off to preschoolteacher!" I think they probably thought something more along the lines of "our poor kid can't go #2. She really should have a BM today and should probably take her laxative first thing this morning so she can go."

Still... how would you address this in the future? I now suspect laxatives are also being given at home to the older child in the family.

Two loose stools and they are sent home--regardless of the reason--seems like it might cover it.
preschoolteacher 08:14 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Would You Give a Child a Laxative?
Sounds like an awesome book title
HAHA... oh wow... we have been reading If You Give a Mouse a Cookie lately. I guess it's a little stuck in my head!!!
SignMeUp 08:23 PM 06-04-2014
Some days all I have is dark humor

We could write the book if you like

If you give a child a laxative ....
Cradle2crayons 08:23 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
This is how I felt about it.

I don't think they consciously thought "hey, she's at daycare today so lets pass the diarrhea off to preschoolteacher!" I think they probably thought something more along the lines of "our poor kid can't go #2. She really should have a BM today and should probably take her laxative first thing this morning so she can go."

Still... how would you address this in the future? I now suspect laxatives are also being given at home to the older child in the family.

Two loose stools and they are sent home--regardless of the reason--seems like it might cover it.
I do give meds here... But I don't give laxatives. The only way I would do that is if they are on a dr prescribed bowel program due to a chronic illness and they are given a laxative every single day or every other day. I don't give PRN laxatives.

And in my illness policy it specifically excludes a child from daycare if they have more than two loose stools and they are excluded until 24 hours after symptoms have resolved. And I note that this includes loose stools from laxative use.
playground1 02:10 AM 06-05-2014
If a child needs a laxative daily, they aren't getting enough fiber. I would not give it without a doctor's note.
Unregistered 04:14 AM 06-05-2014
With the two I have it is an over the counter type laxative, but they get it with a prescription through their doctor. It is a everyday thing, with no crazy blowouts resulting. Just makes things soft enough for them to have a bowel movement hopefully daily without tears, wailing and much straining. Fiber is very much their in their diets too, difficult to up it any more as two others run closer to the loose side of things. We seem to have found a baalnce that works for all. Sounds like they need to be on it a year, as it can take that long for things to heal from the damage already done.
craftymissbeth 06:07 AM 06-05-2014
My 7 yo takes Miralax three times a day and doesn't have any issues. Then again, he has encopresis so maybe that's why.

I'd let them give it to their child before coming, but my symptom policy of two loose stools and they have to go home would still apply.

Miralax is apparently a pretty gentle laxative so unless they're going crazy with it shouldn't be like blow out crazy diarrhea bad. I would hope that they've tried other ways to get her to have a BM first, though. Add more fiber, change diet, etc. how old is this child?
drseuss 06:24 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Some days all I have is dark humor

We could write the book if you like

If you give a child a laxative ....
haha!! I'm already writing it in my head.
Childminder 07:01 AM 06-05-2014
I have. Neither time was an issue and I was happy to make the child more comfortable and it made life so much more pleasant for all.

Dcg was about 4 and I gave it to her every day at dinner for about 6 months. She was one of those children that is so busy and active and couldn't/wouldn't relax long enough to go poop regularly, often in pain. The Miralax gave her the urge or necessity to eliminate every day and got her in the routine. By giving it to her in the evening she would always go at home in the morning.

I also had a dcb that we could not get poop trained and I figured out that it was encopresis. He got it three times a day with meals and since he ate two meals here I gave it to him twice a day. I was thrilled to give it to him if I didn't have to clean his butt and take care of dirty unders every day. It didn't give him loose bowels and ceased the constant fecal leakage.

I was more than happy to contribute to their wellbeing and being able to grow up without these embarrassments. Life is hard enough.
drseuss 07:07 AM 06-05-2014
I have one dcp who gives her child prunes and/or prune juice before daycare. The things she says and jokes she has made make it seem like her attitude is that she is paying for daycare so her child should do all his pooping on MY watch instead of hers. Gah. I wonder if that's a common attitude.
playground1 11:13 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
I have one dcp who gives her child prunes and/or prune juice before daycare. The things she says and jokes she has made make it seem like her attitude is that she is paying for daycare so her child should do all his pooping on MY watch instead of hers. Gah. I wonder if that's a common attitude.
There are a couple of parents at my dc that bring their kids poopy every morning. I started asking them to change them, and it was all "oh, really? I didn't notice!". Really? You don't notice that the 1 year old 6 inches from your face has crap in his pants? Puh.
drseuss 11:16 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by queen_of_the_playground:
There are a couple of parents at my dc that bring their kids poopy every morning. I started asking them to change them, and it was all "oh, really? I didn't notice!". Really? You don't notice that the 1 year old 6 inches from your face has crap in his pants? Puh.
Prune mom does this to me all the time. There is no way you could 'not notice' it!
Mom of 4 12:00 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
A family asked me to mix Miralax into their child's first bottle of the day today due to constipation. Is this a typical thing to do at daycare? I've never been asked to give a laxative before.
Unless they have a signed form from a pediatrician and you feel comfortable administering meds, do NOT do it!!!!

Miralax can be mixed in ANY drink of the day, so doesn't need to be done at daycare; mom can do it at home with dinner or with a snack.
Mom of 4 12:01 PM 06-05-2014
ADDING: Miralax is not a laxative that is immediate. It can take a couple extra days before the child has a BM unlike laxatives that have a "contraction" effect.
SignMeUp 01:21 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
haha!! I'm already writing it in my head.
Yay
nanglgrl 02:34 PM 06-05-2014
Irradiated the title to the tune if "when you give a mouse a cookie
SillyGrl 01:39 PM 06-08-2014
Possibly. With a signed doctor's order stating it needed to be taken at a specific time that happened to be during the time the child is in your care.

If they want you to give it in the morning, though, they can give it before they bring the child. And I would be very clear that your policy when it comes to diarrhea will still be in effect, whether it is from the miralax or not.

I was a nurse for too long, I'm pretty strict with my medication policy.

I did some occasional babysitting a few years ago. Once when the parents were dropping off their son, she handed me a package of glycerin suppositories and told me to just give him one if he hadn't gone in an hour This was not me watching the boy for mom to work, this was me watching the boy occasionally for date night.
Blackcat31 04:45 PM 06-08-2014
Originally Posted by SillyGrl:

I am not a nurse and have a NO medication policy.

In other words I will NOT give a child any medication. period.

The ONLY exception is if the child is diabetic or something similar but other wise, I don't keep ANY Tylenol or Advil or anything like that on site and will NOT dispense under any circumstances.
Leigh 07:14 PM 06-08-2014
Originally Posted by SillyGrl:
Possibly. With a signed doctor's order stating it needed to be taken at a specific time that happened to be during the time the child is in your care.

If they want you to give it in the morning, though, they can give it before they bring the child. And I would be very clear that your policy when it comes to diarrhea will still be in effect, whether it is from the miralax or not.

I did some occasional babysitting a few years ago. Once when the parents were dropping off their son, she handed me a package of glycerin suppositories and told me to just give him one if he hadn't gone in an hour This was not me watching the boy for mom to work, this was me watching the boy occasionally for date night.
I have a foster child (infant) who takes a large dose of Miralax every morning. It's not a problem-his stools are soft, and sometimes loose, but it doesn't make a mess. Glycerin suppositories? Lazy parent who wants you to deal with the mess...they work quickly-there is no reason a parent can't give that at home.
Reply Up