Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wording for Closing when Schools Close
sahm1225 07:06 PM 03-12-2019
I live in the midwest, so our public schools rarely ever close because of weather. In the past ten years, we've had maybe 4 closed school days and it was because of the polar vortex (more than 30 below zero weather).

This time, all my parents kept their kids homes and I was paid for the days. I had one dcm (teacher) complain that her dd1 was such a pain that she had the urge to drive her to me since she paid for the day . Another dcm (teacher) said that she had really hoped other parents had brought their kids so she could've brought hers since she had errands to run.
This was the day that it hit -50 with the windchill. We're not used to that type of weather and cars weren't even turning on.
I want to update my contract to say that if the local public school closes, that I will also close and that it will be a paid day. Realistically, it won't happen again for another few years, but I don't want to lose income because of mother nature and honestly, I don't want to keep any kids overnight because their cars stall out!

Does anyone have any wording about weather closures that I can use?
LittleExplorers 06:54 AM 03-13-2019
My contract states when schools close due to weather, for the safety of the children, I close as well. I have only teacher families so they are all home anyway. My tuition is the same during the school year whether I am open or not. It states there is no discount for days there is no school or your child does not attend.

You could just say, due to safety I will close when schools close. Tuition will not be reduced. I would also address late starts and early releases if you have only teachers. For days the schedule changes due to weather, I open late. For early releases some teachers have to remain until all buses are empty so I do not close early. Many if not all are picked up early.

We have had 6 closures due to weather this year. Next year we may have none. Only one parent subtly complained, but she is just that way. Her husband teaches so she could have went to work if she wanted.
Tags:closing daycare - procedure, closing letter
Reply Up