Default Style Register Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's in a Name?
MsLisa 09:09 AM 03-25-2015
The Question:
In-Home child care provider is a Daycare.
What would you call someone who would provide childcare in that child's house?
(Babysitter? *cringe*)

I am a Before & After School Program Coordinator for my local YMCA. I work 6am to 9am & then 3pm to 6pm, everyday. Except for usual early dismissals, half days and no school days, as those I work almost 12hrs straight.

Yes, its nice to come home and eat breakfast, get stuff done around the house and put together my aftercare stuff (if any). But honestly I'm bored. I end up sitting in my kitchen with my laptop, trying not to go back to sleep, waiting for 3pm to roll around. SOOOOO....

I want to put myself back out there for a simple part-time childcare gig to fill out those hours (9am to 2pm). Not sure how I should go about marketing myself though. I fear i'm going to be lost in the sea of SAHMs who have similar desires (but they're in-home). I feel far too old to be considered a "babysitter".

I did my own in-home daycare before this for a little over a year, so i'm not new to this. Sadly most of my toys are at my Aftercare program or I would do it here again. I'd like to just provide care in their home instead (within a certain radius).I miss playing with just one or two kids and being the "Mary Poppins" of fun. I miss doing all the stuff I use to do that I can't do at my job cause the kids are flat out lunatics.

Any ideas?
Thriftylady 09:11 AM 03-25-2015
I would say that makes a person a Nanny.
Unregistered 09:31 AM 03-25-2015
I would say Nanny too or Caregiver
LindseyA 09:49 AM 03-25-2015
Nanny for sure! Hate the "babysitter" label!
laundrymom 10:33 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
Nanny for sure! Hate the "babysitter" label!
Unless you're charging babysitter rates, I'd say nanny.
Thriftylady 12:49 PM 03-25-2015
I also hate the "babysitter" label. I guess because it is what I did in high school. It was totally different than what I do as a "childcare provider". I am much smarter, more experienced, better trained, on and on and on lol. DCM and the kids call me a "babysitter". Hate it.
finsup 01:16 PM 03-25-2015
Nanny or childcare provider would work
284878 11:02 PM 03-27-2015
Babysitter is 12 to 18 years old, most likely in school. Does nights and weekend or after school in child home. No background check or contract. May not have any training including CPR. Meals are prepared or pizza is on the way. Can be easily replaced with out warning.

Nanny is over 18, may live in childs home, may drive family car. Has somewhat a regular schedule and hopefully a contract. Has background check, and training. Is more hands on with kids, cooks, cleans and tutors.
Unregistered 12:11 AM 03-28-2015
No one I know uses the term babysitter, or 'daycare' either for that matter- as we don't take care of days lol. It's childcare provider... And family childcare home. If we use professional language we will be viewed as professionals, we'll be treated more respectfully, and maybe someday we'll be paid more for the professional, valuable work we do.
Starburst 05:38 PM 03-28-2015
I read an article similar to this topic on, it said they would consider a babysitter to be more for occasional care, like once or twice a month for date night and that a better describes a regular childcare schedule. Though some also may debate that a nanny has more education/training than a babysitter (CD/ECE classes, first aid/CRP certified, etc.).

If the parents are still at home during child care, I would consider it more of a mother's helper/ assistant (or 'parent's helper' or 'parent's assistant'). My weekday job I would describe my job as more of a mother's helper because the mom is home most of the time (usually sleeping or getting ready for work while I take care of the baby) and my weekend job I consider more as a nanny (his mom's at work and I'm watching him all day alone for most of the day).

Other titles such as: caregiver, childcare professional, care provider, childcare provider, and freelance childcare provider also works. On my Facebook under occupation I put "independent childcare provider". If the child is special needs, caregiver may be more appropriate.
Tags:babysitter, nanny
Reply Up