Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Low To The Ground Climber Ideas??
jenboo 10:49 AM 11-21-2013
I have my health inspection on Tuesday and found out that I cannot have any climbing equipment that is over 20 inches without special padding underneath. No biggie..just get rid of the taller climber that I have.
well here is the problem. I have a 19 month old dcb that loves to climb! He has been climbing since 9-10 months old. Daily he tries to climb the baby gates, shelves, tables, etc. He does much better when he has had to chance to climb our taller climber outside. I definitely see a difference. DCB is very active and I already have a hard time providing enough for him to do so that he does not get bored and go wild.
Does anyone have ideas for something i can build (cheap) that would satisfy his need for climbing but be 20 inches or less from the ground? I plan on making a very low to the ground balance beam but thats all i can think of.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:57 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Does anyone have ideas for something i can build (cheap) that would satisfy his need for climbing but be 20 inches or less from the ground? I plan on making a very low to the ground balance beam but thats all i can think of.
I remember in one of Bev Bos' books (I think it was this one) she had these awesome ladders that were built by the parents in her program. They were just loose, so kids could prop them up to climb, or lay them across things to use as a bridge. Boards with a cleat underneath (to hook onto a base so it won't slip off) work well, too. Either could be paired with some big sturdy boxes or logs for all sorts of interesting creations.
Cat Herder 11:29 AM 11-21-2013
I am picking up drainage culvert... the black plastic kind. I will cut holes in the side every few feet to keep it dry and accessible. Kids love tunnels as much as climbers. It comes in several sizes and also has connectors.

Surely they won't be able to get that banned in 12 months?? I don't think it is even on their radar, yet...
Attached: culvert.jpg (11.0 KB) 
MamaBearCanada 11:46 AM 11-21-2013
What about building a basic wood box with a ramp going up each side? You could put slats or climbing footholds on the ramps or use a rope ladder on one side.

Or a variation on this:
http://mattwilderclimbing.blogspot.c...-wall.html?m=1
lovemylife 12:07 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am picking up drainage culvert... the black plastic kind. I will cut holes in the side every few feet to keep it dry and accessible. Kids love tunnels as much as climbers. It comes in several sizes and also has connectors.

Surely they won't be able to get that banned in 12 months?? I don't think it is even on their radar, yet...

TwinKristi 01:15 PM 11-21-2013
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0057G...ims_7?pi=SS115

This is cute and reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ED...=8-17&pi=SX200

This is much pricier but also great!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:12 PM 11-21-2013
I have the mats like go in horses stalls under my climbing stuff! Actually that is what the county purchased for us years ago. They are awesome because they are just mats, no rocks or mulch! Might be simpler to get a mat than figure out what you could have as a climber
BrooklynM 04:49 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I have the mats like go in horses stalls under my climbing stuff! Actually that is what the county purchased for us years ago. They are awesome because they are just mats, no rocks or mulch! Might be simpler to get a mat than figure out what you could have as a climber
Would you be able to find this online for us? Maybe this is an answer to my problems too! YAY! Hopefully they are affordable!
jenboo 06:19 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
where can i find those??
jenboo 06:20 PM 11-21-2013

Where do i get this from?? My DCks would love it!!
Sunshine74 10:22 PM 11-21-2013

I want one!
Cradle2crayons 10:28 PM 11-21-2013
That's a favpbulous isea. We have lots of road constructions going on right now with tons of those converts. And they usually have extra pieces. I never though to ask if I can gave to left overs.

Fabulous I will try that tomorrow.

My husband is awesome at building stuff so I'm making a list right now....

You guys are awesome!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:08 AM 11-22-2013
Ours came from Tractor Supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...t?cm_vc=-10005
Tags:climbers, outside play equipment, outside play ideas
Reply Up