Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question Related To Bad Weather / Delays Commuting
amberrose3dg 03:45 AM 01-08-2018
I was wondering how everyone here handles bad weather and if you charge families late fees for picking up late if the weather is bad especially if the weather has been predicted bad in the forecast for some time.
Personally I want to charge families and not feel bad when they knew it was coming and did nothing to prepare.
TSDaycare 04:02 AM 01-08-2018
I personally don't charge, although I don't deal with it very often here. While it annoys the heck out of me, I am lucky for the most part not to have to encounter that. If the parents seemed pretty careless about whether they are late or not and it's repeatedly happening, I may have to enforce it.
daycarediva 04:44 AM 01-08-2018
Depends.

For families who are regularly respectful/on time. They usually try to leave work early to pick up on time. Last week a dcm left work 20 minutes early only to arrive 10 minutes late. She sent texts before she left about leaving early and doing her best as the roads became increasingly worse. She came in apologetic. No, I didn't charge.

For families who show up 30 minutes past contracted pick up time, without so much as an apology, using the bad weather as an excuse when they weren't even working? Yep I charged.
Cat Herder 05:10 AM 01-08-2018
I definitely charge for that (known weather conditions) and would consider replacing.
MomBoss 05:13 AM 01-08-2018
I charge. They will have to leave work a lil early to make sure they can arrive on time. Regardless of the weather, i still have things to do after 5pm. If they are late, they will make me late.
LysesKids 05:30 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Depends.

For families who are regularly respectful/on time. They usually try to leave work early to pick up on time. Last week a dcm left work 20 minutes early only to arrive 10 minutes late. She sent texts before she left about leaving early and doing her best as the roads became increasingly worse. She came in apologetic. No, I didn't charge.

For families who show up 30 minutes past contracted pick up time, without so much as an apology, using the bad weather as an excuse when they weren't even working? Yep I charged.
THIS is what I do
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 01-08-2018
I wanted to clarify that I live in the deep south so any weather coming our way is headline *Breaking* news for days preceding it.

I have no experience in unpredictable climates.
hwichlaz 05:43 AM 01-08-2018
Case by Case. I have a lot of first responders as parents...and even some families where both parents are first responders. Sometimes they get held over at work for bad weather, disaster, murder etc. When that happens they pay my overtime fees, but not my late fees. They are very good about being on time the rest of the time, and they text me as soon as they know they are getting held over. Most of the time it's only for an hour until an aunt or grandparent can make it over to get them.
mamamanda 05:59 AM 01-08-2018
For me it depends on the situation. A parent who knows in advance & just doesn't care can pay a late fee. But if they leave work & honestly struggle to get here due to sleet & snow I don't typically charge for that. I'm a little more lax than some with pick up time anyway though. I don't give them a set pick up time. I close at 5 & I expect them to be here before that. Other than that, it's not a huge deal to me. Though my parents are all great right now about communicating what time to expect pick up so I can have the kids ready.
amberrose3dg 06:06 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Case by Case. I have a lot of first responders as parents...and even some families where both parents are first responders. Sometimes they get held over at work for bad weather, disaster, murder etc. When that happens they pay my overtime fees, but not my late fees. They are very good about being on time the rest of the time, and they text me as soon as they know they are getting held over. Most of the time it's only for an hour until an aunt or grandparent can make it over to get them.
Im more concerned about the careless ones who "have" to work but don't plan for anything to not even leave work early or for that matter on time and blame it on the weather.
Today we are supposed to have an ice storm start around 11. I was met with a lot of blank stares when I mentioned it.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 01-08-2018
I charge. No matter the circumstances.

If it's a known weather situation, I fully expect parents to plan ahead.

If it's an unavoidable thing that caused them to be late, I understand but still provided services and should still be compensated for them. If those services happen "after hours" then those fees apply.

To me its pretty black and white.
I charge for being late not WHY they are late.
That's the difference. (in regards to feeling/not feeling guilty )
Ariana 06:53 AM 01-08-2018
It depends. Some families have jobs where they cannot leave at a specific time but have to wait until their shift is over or the school day ends. If there is a snowstorm that starts mid day and I know that the commute will be ridiculous I don’t charge. If it is a family who makes their own hours then yes I charge because there is no excuse for not getting here on time.

I also appreciate a text to let me know and I also appreciate it if the parent has called the grandparents to come if they can’t get away or are stuck in traffic. Both of those things will make it less likely a family is charged.
LysesKids 07:40 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Im more concerned about the careless ones who "have" to work but don't plan for anything to not even leave work early or for that matter on time and blame it on the weather.
Today we are supposed to have an ice storm start around 11. I was met with a lot of blank stares when I mentioned it.
You are getting what I'm dealing with right now... I read your weather; I would have said daycare is closing early due to hazardous driving conditions expected. Heck, you might end up closing early if you lose power - they have no choice then lol
DaveA 07:40 AM 01-08-2018
I have 1 waiving of late fees due to weather/road emergencies per year (at my discretion) written into my policies. Otherwise yes I charge.
amberrose3dg 07:57 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I have 1 waiving of late fees due to weather/road emergencies per year (at my discretion) written into my policies. Otherwise yes I charge.
This is a good policy.
I may have to add something like this. I just have in my contract I charge for late no matter what. I am just finding parents acting like it is more of my issue for bad weather and not their issue( I warned that i will not give a pass for being late at pickup, they had 24 hours to plan for it). I have already had two families pick up and two more decide not to come. They haven't announced early dismissal yet but there is already ice on the roads.
LysesKids 08:22 AM 01-08-2018
This is a good policy.
I may have to add something like this. I just have in my contract I charge for late no matter what. I am just finding parents acting like it is more of my issue for bad weather and not their issue( I warned that i will not give a pass for being late at pickup, they had 24 hours to plan for it). I have already had two families pick up and two more decide not to come. They haven't announced early dismissal yet but there is already ice on the roads.
Just curious... What would you do if they called a State of Emergency; I personally tell parents I will be closing because it means that roads will be bad enough that Emergency personnel might not get here in a timely manner. If the government, schools & everyone else is closing, unless I have EMT's, Drs/nurses or cops/fireman as families, ( along with power) I close
Jupadia 08:24 AM 01-08-2018
I charge 15 per half hour if they let me know before 545 (close at 6). If not I charge 1 per min and will terminate if they are late to offton. As well that 15 dollar charge is up to me to allow a parent to do so if it's all the time I won't allow it.
amberrose3dg 08:25 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Just curious... What would you do if they called a State of Emergency; I personally tell parents I will be closing because it means that roads will be bad enough that Emergency personnel might not get here in a timely manner. If the goverment, schools & everyone else is closing, unless I have EMT's, nurses or cops as families, I close.
I close also. I told parents if school was closed early that I would be too as it means it is no longer safe. I am worried about the school age that come in the afternoon. Their parents most likely will be the ones to be "late". Telling them they to come pick up and them actually picking up on time are two different things. I know they will have that annoyed attitude and honestly I do not even feel like explaining myself one bit.
Luvnmykidz 09:03 AM 01-08-2018
They’ve dismissed schools early here already. However not one single parent has contacted me. I charge for late pick ups depending on the situation, sometimes there are really bad accidents on the highway and Parents are late. If I can see it on my gps that there is an accident or hear it on the news I wouldn’t charge, but the ones that may say there was a bad accident and there’s no proof then I charge, or if it’s consistent that they are late.
amberrose3dg 09:10 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
They’ve dismissed schools early here already. However not one single parent has contacted me. I charge for late pick ups depending on the situation, sometimes there are really bad accidents on the highway and Parents are late. If I can see it on my gps that there is an accident or hear it on the news I wouldn’t charge, but the ones that may say there was a bad accident and there’s no proof then I charge, or if it’s consistent that they are late.
They just announced that schools are dismissing at 2pm here. Lets see how this plays out. I have a hard time not being mad about late pickups when you knew it was coming. None of my parents are doctors, ems, nurses etc.. and most can leave work especially for the type of jobs they do.
Luvnmykidz 09:22 AM 01-08-2018
They just announced that schools are dismissing at 2pm here. Lets see how this plays out. I have a hard time not being mad about late pickups when you knew it was coming. None of my parents are doctors, ems, nurses etc.. and most can leave work especially for the type of jobs they do.
I would have a hard time not charging for their lack of preparation and consideration. I’m open from 6am until midnight and I have never encountered so many inconsiderate people when it comes to picking up on time and contacting me at appropriate times. They assume that since I’m open early and until midnight it’s fine for them to contact me at 5 am or 10/11 pm or pick up a little late. It’s ridiculous and even more ridiculous when I charge them a late fee and they say but you’re open later so I didn’t think it was a big deal. Then I have to remind them that they are contracted for specific hours only and late fees are billed for any time after that unless prior approved.
amberrose3dg 09:36 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
I would have a hard time not charging for their lack of preparation and consideration. I’m open from 6am until midnight and I have never encountered so many inconsiderate people when it comes to picking up on time and contacting me at appropriate times. They assume that since I’m open early and until midnight it’s fine for them to contact me at 5 am or 10/11 pm or pick up a little late. It’s ridiculous and even more ridiculous when I charge them a late fee and they say but you’re open later so I didn’t think it was a big deal. Then I have to remind them that they are contracted for specific hours only and late fees are billed for any time after that unless prior approved.
I am only open 6am to 5pm but that is long enough. I am pretty serious about not picking up late and terminate if it happens more than a couple of times.I only have one mom that I am thinking will pull some crap tonight , the same one that forgets to pay me on a regular basis.
Country Kids 10:42 AM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I wanted to clarify that I live in the deep south so any weather coming our way is headline *Breaking* news for days preceding it.

I always pictured you living in California for some reason!
Cat Herder 01:27 PM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I feel like I am being baited here.

Nope, not taking it.
LysesKids 01:48 PM 01-08-2018
I close also. I told parents if school was closed early that I would be too as it means it is no longer safe. I am worried about the school age that come in the afternoon. Their parents most likely will be the ones to be "late". Telling them they to come pick up and them actually picking up on time are two different things. I know they will have that annoyed attitude and honestly I do not even feel like explaining myself one bit.
Even my sister in Martinsburg, took off over an hour ago in Leesburg to get home. She said missing a few hours of work was worth it if it kept her alive. She called me to see how I was doing - yep all 4 of my babes showed even with icy roads this morning; almost every single school was closed in East TN LAST NIGHT, knowing the forecast
amberrose3dg 03:46 PM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Even my sister in Martinsburg, took off over an hour ago in Leesburg to get home. She said missing a few hours of work was worth it if it kept her alive. She called me to see how I was doing - yep all 4 of my babes showed even with icy roads this morning; almost every single school was closed in East TN LAST NIGHT, knowing the forecast
I did not get off early but no one showed late either. I always expect the worse from people
Ariana 05:01 PM 01-08-2018

Haha! Did you guys coin the term “cyclone bomb” to describe the weather we had up our way a few days back? Canadian news called it a winter storm” and the US news was calling it a cyclone bomb! It might be a legit term I have no idea!! Cracked me up and also scared me a little
Country Kids 11:00 AM 01-09-2018

Nope, not taking it.
No, I was being totally serious! I'm not sure why I thought this but I did. Maybe I do have you confused with someone else, but I'm pretty sure I always thought you live in Ca.

You not living in Ca. was my learning something new everyday for yesterday
CityGarden 11:10 AM 01-09-2018

Nope, not taking it.
No, I was being totally serious! I'm not sure why I thought this but I did. Maybe I do have you confused with someone else, but I'm pretty sure I always thought you live in Ca.

You not living in Ca. was my learning something new everyday for yesterday
The timing of this post is so funny because I too thought Cat Herder was in California. I just said as much today! LOL I wish I saw this earlier.

Sorry Cat Herder you must think I am crazy!
Tags:bad weather, transportation, transportation during bad weather, weather forecast, weather policy
Reply Up