Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm The Boss!
gumdrops 03:55 PM 10-30-2019
DCB almost 3...If I correct anyone or give anyone instructions, he repeats what I say to the child like he has authority. He's not doing it in a mocking way and he does it without much thought.

Do you ignore or tell him not to do it?

I've tried both and it's not helping. I want it to stop! Any suggestions?
Ms.Kay 03:58 PM 10-30-2019
I always say....Im the "mom" here ...and redirect them to something else.
Ariana 05:01 PM 10-30-2019
At 3 I would tell him to stop repeating. It is not really a normal part of language development so I would ask him to stop.
Cat Herder 08:44 AM 10-31-2019
Could be echolalia, could be he is accustomed to doing it at home with a younger sibling?

I'd redirect each and every time. "___, Go play toys."

I have DCM's who do the "Tell Mrs. Cat Herder...." constantly, instead of letting the child talk organically. That can also lead to this habit.
Leigh 10:34 AM 10-31-2019
This behavior is often caused by insecurity. Either the parents aren't letting him know that they can/will meet the child's needs or they aren't setting appropriate boundaries. I respond with " Thank you, Michael, but I am in charge here, so you only have work hard at being a kid. Kids don't tell other kids what to do, that job is for me". I tell them as often as necessary that I will take care of everyone because that is MY job, and that their job is to play and learn.
Ariana 10:42 AM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Could be echolalia.....
I think Echolalia would be repeating everything not this specific thing. I had a child who did a lot of echolalia but she would repeat almost everything.
Cat Herder 10:47 AM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I think Echolalia would be repeating everything not this specific thing. I had a child who did a lot of echolalia but she would repeat almost everything.
I had one who only repeated the last word of every sentence I said or if I paused for a couple of seconds. I think there is a range of behaviors involved.
Ariana 10:51 AM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I had one who only repeated the last word of every sentence I said or if I paused for a couple of seconds. I think there is a range of behaviors involved.
Yes what you have described is echolalia. He is repeating the last word of everything you say, not just when you are reprimanding someone else kwim? This kid is only repeating when she is reprimanding someone which I don’t feel fits the description of true echolalia.

Just my opinion on it
Unregistered 07:48 AM 11-15-2019
I have a 2 1/2 year old here who repeats what you say back to you in question form! If I say I need to go start lunch she will say You need to go start lunch? It goes on ALL day and makes me crazy!
littlefriends 07:56 AM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
I always say....Im the "mom" here ...and redirect them to something else.
Similar with me. I just tell the repeater that it's not their job to worry about the other kiddos, it's mine since I'm the grown up.
Tags:3 year old, echolalia
Reply Up