Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One year Olds and SCREECHING!
AfterSchoolMom 11:31 AM 03-01-2011
Can anyone think of a way to get a one year old to stop randomly screeching and screaming at the top of their lungs for no reason? I've got another that's a VERY light sleeper, and though she can sleep through playing and other normal noise, that sudden, ear piercing screech wakes her up every single time. It drives me batty.
littlemissmuffet 11:35 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Can anyone think of a way to get a one year old to stop randomly screeching and screaming at the top of their lungs for no reason? I've got another that's a VERY light sleeper, and though she can sleep through playing and other normal noise, that sudden, ear piercing screech wakes her up every single time. It drives me batty.
I have three 1 year olds and they all do it on occasion - though, before I started telling them "no squeeling/screaming" in a stern voice they did it ALL THE TIME!
AfterSchoolMom 05:05 PM 03-01-2011
Is there something off putting about my posts? I'm starting to take it a little bit personally that everytime I post something, lots of people look but hardly anyone responds...

I tried doing a search for this before I posted, but didn't see anything directly relating to this age group. Only posting now to bump it back up so that maybe someone will have some advice.

(Sorry for the self pity party, I'm just tired!)
DCMomOf3 05:10 PM 03-01-2011
oh, no no. I just didn't have any advice that worked for me. I think someone suggested getting quieter and quieter saying "use inside voices please" every time they screech.

I hope you figure it out, I get tired so much faster with any type of child-loud for a long period of time.
SandeeAR 05:32 PM 03-01-2011
Is there something off putting about my posts? I'm starting to take it a little bit personally that everytime I post something, lots of people look but hardly anyone responds...

I know how you feel. I even removed a reply on one thread, b/c I thought I had offended folks with my reply. Lots of looks, but no replies after mine.

As for the squeller, I have a now almost yr old, that did that as a 5 or 6month old. Each time kiddo did it, I lightly, and I do mean lightly, tapped her on the mouth with my first two fingers and said NO SCREAM, very firmly. After about a month, she stopped. Hasn't done it since.
Cat Herder 05:45 PM 03-01-2011

I tried doing a search for this before I posted, but didn't see anything directly relating to this age group. Only posting now to bump it back up so that maybe someone will have some advice.

No, my first thought was "when you find out let me know...."

I have one, too. Ironically he is my chef boyardee baby....

Currently when he starts I pick him up and sit him on the "screaming chair" (one of the soft seats in the reading corner) when he stops I ask him if he is ready to play... he smiles and I go get him.

When he starts again I pick him back up and walk him over to the reading corner, again...I am down to 30 times a day from about 100 in two weeks

So far it is working.. He can get out on his own, but he seems to just wait for my approval... I can't complain about that Also can't guarantee it will work for long...
squareone 05:47 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I know how you feel. I even removed a reply on one thread, b/c I thought I had offended folks with my reply. Lots of looks, but no replies after mine.

As for the squeller, I have a now almost yr old, that did that as a 5 or 6month old. Each time kiddo did it, I lightly, and I do mean lightly, tapped her on the mouth with my first two fingers and said NO SCREAM, very firmly. After about a month, she stopped. Hasn't done it since.

My squealer probably wasn't as constant as the OPs but I assure you it was no less irritating. I have done something similar to you SandeeAR in that I take the child's own hand and put it over their mouth and say "No Scream". Ater about 2 weeks of doing this all I had to do was say it and it worked. It stopped completely after about a month or so.
DCMomOf3 05:48 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:

You removed your post before I read it so I don't know, but maybe the comment was appropriate and no one else had things to add.
SilverSabre25 05:53 PM 03-01-2011
I've had this problem with a couple of my young 1's--both girls. While they were here, most of the other kids would screech at everything too. It's so much more peaceful now that they're gone! Even my other young 1 (a boy) doesn't screech anymore.

I wish I had some advice for you...I really think it's largely an age thing. Hey look at this big, powerful thing I can do with my voice! It's really fun! I can't talk yet and this feels powerful! Yay!
AfterSchoolMom 03:54 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
My squealer probably wasn't as constant as the OPs but I assure you it was no less irritating. I have done something similar to you SandeeAR in that I take the child's own hand and put it over their mouth and say "No Scream". Ater about 2 weeks of doing this all I had to do was say it and it worked. It stopped completely after about a month or so.
I really like this idea. It's gentle but still gets the point across. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel better today.
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:31 PM 03-02-2011
I am also hoping for some good advice for this. We have a dcb who's 3 yrs old and does it all the time (so I know it's a lot different from a one yr old doing it, but since he seems way behind developmentally, maybe something done for a 1 yr old would work for him). A lady from the state was here the other day and he walked over to her and looked up, screamed really loud, and walked away as if he hadn't done anything. Sometimes, though, he lets out a long continual high pitched scream. It doesn't seem normal the way he does it, so I think for him there's something more going on... Good luck with your screamer. Nothing curls my toes as fast as a high pitched scream!
Tags:sceaming, screeching
Reply Up