Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts On Perks For Kids And Parents Alike
DCP 04:54 AM 05-16-2012
Ok so in my area - you pay for childcare whether you use it or not! This is for vacations, days off, illness etc. It is a standard across the board for homes or centers. There is a very low amount that will offer no attendance - not paid. So all my clients are pretty used to it but there are still always someone that complain LOL
I do give them their own at 50% off one week each year. Not many take advantage of this time. I usually have these children 50 hours per week whether parents are working or not! I have had some that take a vacation week and still send their children for the full time. I am with these kids all the time, so I KNOW how much they miss Mommy or Daddy time!!!
I also have or have had some that should not be here due to illness and still get sent! Their reasoning is always the same "I pay for it..,I am going to use every last second of it"

I was thinking - to promote quality time with mom or dad especially with Summer approaching...that they can take ONE day per month unpaid, possibly two during summer but not in the same week. It will be a win win really - the kids gets parent time..and during the summer I will be down a child here and there which is always nice!! Money wise not so much...but I feel so bad for some of these kids all because "I pay for it - I am using it!" theory.
This would only be offered to FULL time parents - if the child is not here 5 days per week..it is not valid for them.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Possible future issues with this? Any input is greatly appreciated
I also thought - half day discount or something but not sure how that will work yet. This way - when they do have days off..they can do errands in the AM but if I offer a discount on early pick ups (again limited occurrences) maybe they will be more likely to give their kids that time..since they will save money

It can also be a bonus for using my services - since NO one else really has this option.
HappyPennie 05:19 AM 05-16-2012
First off- their excuse for bringing them because they are paying for it does not apply when the child is sick. A sick child should not be brought to daycare, they should be kept home to be cared for by their parents. It's not fair to the provider, other DC kids, or the sick child. Do you have a sickness policy in your handbook? I would remind them of it next time they try that one. Anyways...to the actual topic. In my area the providers and how they charge is kind of a mixture. Some charge for days off, some do not. I charge contracted hours whether they attend or not except for my vacation/personal/sick days and their sick days. I only allow 2 sick days per week though so if they are sick for a whole week they pay for 3 days. I don't feel right charging them if they can't be here due to something out of their control. If you wanted to do the discount idea for a day or two a month you could introduce it as a trial thing and see how much they actually use it and it would give you an idea income wise as well. Idk if you get a lot of drop ins or not but you could always set income from drop ins aside and use that to make up for when children are gone. Just an idea Good luck!
DCP 05:32 AM 05-16-2012
Jen
Yes I have a sick policy - I should of been more detailed...if I feel they should not be here due to illness and a parent sends them...generally before they can even get to work I am calling them back LOL But on occasion these kids need like ONE day to recoup and the parents do not allow them to which drags out the illness. They are not sick enough to send home per say but not exactly well enough to enjoy their day either. Two sick days per week would KILL me LOL - parents would use it for other reasons and just tell me they were sick (sad..but so true!)

I like the trial idea ALOT!!! This way if I end it..there is no argument..I can just tell them it did not work as well as I was expecting or something
Thank you!
MissK 07:30 AM 05-16-2012
I give my Full Time paying parents 5 days of absences per year that they don't pay - I could care less what they use them for but once they use them they are gone. This is per family - not per kid that they have in daycare and they do not roll over or accumulate from year to year. I do not let them use any of these days in the first 8 weeks or care or in the 2 week termination period. All my closings (vacation, illness, etc. - notice that I need to be closed/unavailable to offer care) are also unpaid, but that is just how I decided to run things
dEHmom 07:38 AM 05-16-2012
I think it sounds like a great idea to do a trial of it.

I would suggest making it perfectly clear that you need X days notice to use it at no charge, otherwise parents will be telling you last minute.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 05-16-2012
Why not give them "certificates" or something similar that is equal to one day off of care with no charge. Give out as many "tickets/certificates/vouchers" as you feel each family deserves. When they want to take the day and spend it with their child, they can turn in the voucher to you as "payment" for that day.

BTW~ what a nice idea to get some time off and to give the parents the opportunity to spend some qulaity day with their child.
DCP 08:59 AM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why not give them "certificates" or something similar that is equal to one day off of care with no charge. Give out as many "tickets/certificates/vouchers" as you feel each family deserves. When they want to take the day and spend it with their child, they can turn in the voucher to you as "payment" for that day.

BTW~ what a nice idea to get some time off and to give the parents the opportunity to spend some qulaity day with their child.
Blackcat - that is what I was hoping for!! Quality time with Family! The majority of these kids DO NOT know what that is. And it shows when they play and talk about their parents.

I had sent an email explaining the possible "trial". I have 6 clients, and along with this change I had another one that some may not like. I want to make sure everyone would benefit from the ideas prior to changing it, even if only for awhile

I was changing my rate to $2.50 more per week (not a huge change, but a change none the less) in exchange for the first vaca I take unpaid. {doesn't make up the difference..but helps in the long run without a major burden to them}
Second change was the days off - I decided to go WITH notice so that it is used for what I want it used for..quality time with the child. I want the child to have fun with Mom not be ill and in bed LOL...defeats the purpose of why i thought of it in the first place.

So I get my first reply - the response and I quote was " I love the vacation idea as I pay someone else when you take your vacation to watch her"..but the second idea does not apply to me because I send her when I do not have to work because I want my days off and vacations for me! LOL"

I do not know what to say to that!! Even saving money will not help this poor child!! I thought it was because "I pay it - I am using it" theory as she says it ALL the time..but I guess not!
mac60 09:05 AM 05-16-2012
While I totally understand where you are coming from, a daycare provider nor anyone else should ever have to offer money, an incentive or any other thing for a parent to be a parent to their child and spend time with them.
DCP 09:07 AM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
While I totally understand where you are coming from, a daycare provider nor anyone else should ever have to offer money, an incentive or any other thing for a parent to be a parent to their child and spend time with them.
I AGREE 100%!!!! {sad I am coming to this, one of the children I am doing this for...has been with me for 2.5 years. Only out if I am closed!! and is usually SENT home sick..not called in}
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 05-16-2012
I think you had a great idea but sadly as you are learning NOT all parents WANT to spend time with their children.

Despite incentives, discussions and anything else you can think to try...there are simply a few of them out there who do not charish or appreciate their child.

I have one who is here from open to close. Often more times than not, when he is picked up early or staying at home it is with another sitter or a neighbor. The mom is much like the one you have and simpy wants "me time" which translates into "time without my kid".

My honest advice to you is to stop trying. Those parents that value the time they have with their child will find a way to get it at any cost and those that don't will just never see the light so don't waste too much time trying or you will be sadly dissappointed.
DCP 09:31 AM 05-16-2012
Thanks Guys for all your input and blackcat - yes I am learning, I have said it before..the kids are not the only ones that learn things here!!

itlw8 09:46 AM 05-16-2012
It could be a good idea BUT I would make it a set day So you get some benifit also.

start by polling the parents. If you wanted to take a day off to spend with your child _____ would work best for my family

Then from those answers pick a day.

Dear parents for this summer you may choose to keep your child home on Fridays and not have to pay for the day. I will need to know by Thursday If your child will be staying home or coming on Friday so I can plan meals for those who may be in attendance.

Then have a sheet for everyone to sign on Thursdays.
momma2girls 01:07 PM 05-16-2012
I totally agree with blackcat- wow!! I am paying you, so even on all my vac. days, just staying at home days, I will be bringing my child/children to you at the same time drop off and pick up at the same time, if not a little later!! GRRR!!!!!
DCP 01:14 PM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I totally agree with blackcat- wow!! I am paying you, so even on all my vac. days, just staying at home days, I will be bringing my child/children to you at the same time drop off and pick up at the same time, if not a little later!! GRRR!!!!!
grrrr is exactly how I feel sometimes ;( Live and learn...some people just should not have had these little people!!
daycare 03:02 PM 05-16-2012
I am doing something like this, But I am choosing the day that way I have it off..

Basically what I will do is say friday June 15th is a free, no pay no stay day. Enjoy a day with your child on me.

Everyone will be required to sign up on a log. If I get 3 or more families to sign up for it, then I will close that day. Everyone will know what day it is going to be 30 days in advance so that they can make plans with thier own family and vice versa. I know that all of my families but one have a parent or grandma home that could watch the child, so I won't feel bad taking that day off.
Reply Up