Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Normal...Potty Question
WImom 11:37 AM 11-07-2013
DCB4 wakes up during nap almost every day to go potty or goes in his pull up if he happens to not wake up. He has been potty trained for over a year.

I decided to write it down yesterday and today -

12:15, 1:05, 2:48 and today 12:19, 1:32

He also goes twice in the morning before our nap time potty breaks. He doesn't drink a ton either. A cup of liquid (kid sized cup) at snack and lunch and sometimes after we play outside if it's hot or they are thirsty.

Is this normal? I did ask parents to talk to the doctor about 6 months ago when I noticed he was going 6 or more times here and the doctor said it was normal for a 3 year old. So I wondered now that he is four is it still normal?

It's annoying when he goes potty twice at nap since the bathroom is in the main play area which is also our nap room. He also doesn't get a full nap since he most of the time won't fall back to sleep.

I do tell him to make sure to get all the pee out especially when he goes before nap.
Margarete 11:50 AM 11-07-2013
My two questions are
How much time is there between lunch (when he drinks) and nap time?
Is this happening at home too, at night?
WImom 11:55 AM 11-07-2013
I always have him go last before nap so lunch is over about Noon or so and then he goes potty about 12:25/12:30 usually. Sometimes he has to go earlier so I have him go and then have him "try" again after story time (12:35/12:40).

Parents haven't really said if it's at home too or if they noticed. I have never really gotten a good answer from them. They do say he will wake up at night to go but not how many times, not sure if they know.
JoseyJo 12:56 PM 11-07-2013
Maybe he was potty trained by having him go every 30 min? I have heard that this can cause them not be able to hold as much urine and have to go little bits all the time. Not sure how this is fixed though...
WImom 01:06 PM 11-07-2013
Maybe Josey - I didn't have him here until after he was potty trained.
Evansmom 01:24 PM 11-07-2013
Last year when my son was 4 I noticed he was going to the bathroom to pee like 6-8 times per day. He wasn't drinking a ton of fluid and had no other symptoms but it concerned me so I took him into the doc. First time we went they checked him out, did a urine culture and he was fine so we went home. About a week later nothing had changed so we took him in again and ended up seeing a different doc bc ours was out. That doc suggested that our son was constipated and sometimes little boys in particular will mistake the urge to poop for the urge to pee and they withhold pooping because they don't want to slow down to take the time to poop. So they become constipated pretty quickly. Once they become constipated the constipation can push on the bladder and also make them have the urge to pee.

Sure enough I started him on some straight apple juice (he had only ever had diluted juice and very occasionally) and it did the trick. I was horrified to see the amount of poop that came out of him over the next week or so. but it stopped the constant peeing. The trick was getting him to stay on the toilet long enough everyday to reset his little body to become more regular.

Maybe this is the case with your daycare boy?
Cat Herder 04:41 PM 11-07-2013
I also would first rule out constipation. Consider the possibility that it could be new onset sleep time erectons (4 is a common age). "That" sensation could be confusing him a tad.

Frequent Urination (esp. in the periods after meals) could also be an indicator of Diabetes. Notice if it is worse after sugary treats?
daycare 04:47 PM 11-07-2013
my son was doing this for awhile because he was not going all the way when he needed to go. He was not fully emptying his bladder.

From advice from some girls on here, I then started going into the bathroom with him, turn on the faucet and asking him can you go longer ?? Push it all out, I would say.

I got it to stop......
WBee 11:47 AM 01-21-2015
Have they ruled out UTI and diabetes? I'm having the same issues here. DCB is 3.8 yrs. and I've had issues for a YEAR now. I've helped train him(took 9 mos.!!) but feel he wasn't ready, DCM pushed it anyway. Now he goes every 1/2 hour on most days and I don't have the time for this with other kids here now. (They were my first family.)DCD says he's unsure how often he goes at home because they don't keep track. They have ruled out diabetes and UTI and he is not constipated but they ignore me when I ask them to ask Dr. for other info. If anyone else can help please do!!
grateday 03:09 PM 01-21-2015
I am just know starting to wonder with a child I have in care too but I don't know what to make of it, informed parents though. I was thinking a lot of things:

Endocrine system- If something is going on in this system it can effect the urinating-These are disease conditions such as diabetes and more

Psychological- Stressor related/coping mechanism

Excitement because new to potty training- One of those kiddos that loves to go becauase of the encouragement and naturally a spirited upbeat child

Sensory- Not sure with the messages to the brain meaning as soon as the urine starts producing in the bladder it sends a message to the brain to go when the bladder is not really full yet.
SilverSabre25 03:11 PM 01-21-2015
This thread is well over a year old Just fyi
Reply Up