Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>excluding for symptoms
hope 07:39 AM 02-19-2015
I have a dcm that has had two sick children the past two weeks. It seems like it is one thing after another and although I know it is hard to stay home or find back up care I can not have sick kids here. One of her children had the croup, something viral and has been home all week. No fever, does have a cough, eating well. Threw up today. Dcm called nurse at pediatrician's office and said they told her throw up was just from the mucus, no big deal. I have to again exclude due to 24 hour rule and I know she will be upset. I am legally unlicensed and every time I tell her I am following the laws she throws in my face that i am not licensed. I still have rules and do my best to follow as if I were licensed. How do I word this to her? I feel like a broken record.
LysesKids 08:53 AM 02-19-2015
I personally would tell the mom, regardless of the fact that you are licensed exempt, that you are running a LEGAL SERVICE BUSINESS as a sole proprietor... she can follow the business policies set in the contract or she can go somewhere else... I have it plainly stated regardless of the reason for vomiting, that a child is sent home after one incident; it's up to her to get the problem cleared up.

I have a mom that has no back-up and she whines now & again, but she understands that it's also a sanitation issue, not just a health thing when her child throws up mucus (turned out kiddo had sinus infection & drainage hit her stomach) - I go thru the routine every few months with her
daycare 08:58 AM 02-19-2015

I agree...

Lic or not, you have obligations to fulfill that you are providing a safe and healthy environment for all children enrolled.

This would fall under your problems are not my problems. It is your responsibility to find back up care when you child is not able to participate in childcare.
BBG 08:59 AM 02-19-2015
I think some people just like to argue the point every time to try and get a different result.
The worst you are gonna say is no right? Hey, you may say yes one day... lol

Maybe 're-do' your policy handbook for "all parents"
daycarediva 09:02 AM 02-19-2015
As a legally license exempt provider previously, I was required to follow all state regulations. "No, I am not licensed but I am obligated to follow the state's guidelines for children enrolled in care since I am running a legal childcare business. These guidelines are outlined in my contract/handbook. I understand the inconvenience, but I can not provide sick child care."
hope 09:02 AM 02-19-2015
Update.......

The younger sibling was in my care today and threw up also. I called for pick up and said said I would see her Monday. She tried blaming the babies throw up on mucus also.

I have a 15 page handbook and it clearly states my sick policy. Sometimes it is just hard to say the same thing over and over.
AmyKidsCo 09:07 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

I agree...

Lic or not, you have obligations to fulfill that you are providing a safe and healthy environment for all children enrolled.

This would fall under your problems are not my problems. It is your responsibility to find back up care when you child is not able to participate in childcare.

Your first responsibility is to provide the best environment you can for all the children.
Tom Copeland had a recent blog post about vaccinations, but you could apply it to other illnesses. http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2015/...her-child.html
Reply Up