Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SIDS Update
Meeko 01:38 PM 09-05-2015
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for all the love! We really appreciate everyone's prayers and thoughts.

It has been a difficult two weeks. I miss that little guy so much.

His funeral was a week last Friday. A very emotional time, but the service was beautiful. His parents wanted it short and and as positive as possible. They said a few words, as did the grandparents and then everyone there (about 150 people) let go of bright colored balloons with messages on them. It was so pretty and a moving sight to see so many balloons rising into the sky.

The mom and I have called each other a lot over the past couple weeks. She called yesterday to tell me she is going back to work on Tuesday and big sister will be here. It is going to be the most emotional drop-off I have ever had in 30 years of childcare.

The parents are doing as well as can be expected. They are strong in their faith that they will see their baby again and that is helping them a lot.

Again...thank you for all the words of support. It means the world to us.

Thriftylady 02:28 PM 09-05-2015
Hugs to you all. The pain will lessen but this will never go away as you know. Any words seem so useless.
Josiegirl 02:34 PM 09-05-2015
{{{hugs}}}
mamamanda 04:53 PM 09-05-2015
I continue to think of you and pray for you Meeko. You are so much stronger than most would be in this situation and I'm sure their family is very blessed by your presence during tho time. Will be praying for you all day Tuesday.
Meeko 05:51 PM 09-05-2015
Our darling little James. 4mths old and never stopped smiling. RIP little man.
Attached: 889182.jpg (26.4 KB) 
Gemma 07:30 AM 09-06-2015
I'm still choked up when I think of this, I can only imagine how you and everyone involved must feel (((hug))))

I've heard of too many incidents like this one in the passed 2 years, so I made the decision and posted a note to parents, letting them know that I will no longer enroll infants.

I feel so bad for you and everyone who has had this happening to them
Meeko 08:40 AM 09-06-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I'm still choked up when I think of this, I can only imagine how you and everyone involved must feel (((hug))))

I've heard of too many incidents like this one in the passed 2 years, so I made the decision and posted a note to parents, letting them know that I will no longer enroll infants.

I feel so bad for you and everyone who has had this happening to them
I am no longer taking babies under one year. It meant saying goodbye to families I adore. However, I NEVER want to go through this again. They were very understanding about it.

Licensing told me it happens more than people think. They had another one right here in my county only two months ago. They told me that 20% of SIDS happens in daycare because babies spend so much time there and little ones sleep so much. That's terrifying.

I have been gambling for the past 30 years. All the classes I have taken...and shaken my head when hearing about SIDS and saying things like "Oh that's awful...I hope it never happens to me"......well it did....and it was the worst thing ever. Picking up a lifeless baby and feeling the panic rise is the most horrifying experience.

So I am taking one year and up now. One of my babies was the same age as James and he is a preemie. The odds of SIDS are even less in his favor and that's a risk I will not take. His mother understands and so I am just tending his older sibling for now. Grandma is going to tend the baby until he is old enough to return to me. The mom has been bringing him in when she picks up his sister, so I can have my hugs

I am sounding like a broken record, but thank you all so much for your support during this. I am eternally grateful.
midaycare 09:32 AM 09-06-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I am no longer taking babies under one year. It meant saying goodbye to families I adore. However, I NEVER want to go through this again. They were very understanding about it.

Licensing told me it happens more than people think. They had another one right here in my county only two months ago. They told me that 20% of SIDS happens in daycare because babies spend so much time there and little ones sleep so much. That's terrifying.

I have been gambling for the past 30 years. All the classes I have taken...and shaken my head when hearing about SIDS and saying things like "Oh that's awful...I hope it never happens to me"......well it did....and it was the worst thing ever. Picking up a lifeless baby and feeling the panic rise is the most horrifying experience.

So I am taking one year and up now. One of my babies was the same age as James and he is a preemie. The odds of SIDS are even less in his favor and that's a risk I will not take. His mother understands and so I am just tending his older sibling for now. Grandma is going to tend the baby until he is old enough to return to me. The mom has been bringing him in when she picks up his sister, so I can have my hugs

I am sounding like a broken record, but thank you all so much for your support during this. I am eternally grateful.

e.j. 10:12 AM 09-06-2015
Based on the picture you've shared, James was a beautiful baby.

I have also been thinking of you and James and his family on a daily basis since you first posted about him. I have an almost 8 month old in my care and although I've kept a close eye on him since he started here when he was 4 months old, I find myself checking on him even more often than before - especially when he's sleeping. Your experience has me feeling so uneasy. I've gone 19 years without experiencing what you have and I keep thinking, "Is it really worth the risk of taking on another infant for what I hope are my last 10 years of doing day care?" I recently interviewed a young couple who are expecting a baby in a few months and I'm really giving serious thought to whether I want to take him or not.

I'm sure your life has been changed forever by this experience. Given his parent's continued support and relationship with you, it's clear you loved and gave great care to that baby and his sister. Hopefully, knowing that will eventually give you peace of mind and heart.
mom2many 10:19 AM 09-06-2015
When I was pregnant with my first child, another mom in my lamaze class spoke of losing a baby to sids in her home daycare. I opened my daycare a year later and always had this concern fore front in my mind. I have taken care of so many little ones over the years and knew there was a always a risk, but never realized it was so high.

I've had two premies in recent years and had them sleep in my living room instead of the bedroom, so I could monitor them easier...but your situation makes me want to reconsider taking tiny babies. My two youngest, started here as infants and are now 1 1/2 & almost 2.

Hugs and prayers to you Meeko.
Michael 02:53 PM 09-06-2015
Very sad. Glad everyone is moving forward.
nannyde 03:18 PM 09-06-2015
For the vets it's a recognition that with every day you care for babies that your odds of having a tragedy increase. Nobody can be lucky for 30 years....

Oh for the early years when I believed if I did everything I knew to be right.. it wouldn't be me. Now I know it will be me because luck runs out.
Unregistered 04:50 PM 09-06-2015
Same here only 1 yr and up. We know someone and the same thing happened, did everything right but the parents unfortunately used the tragedy to try and profit. Took money from various charities in their community, and then quietly tried to go after their provider's insurance.

Imo it's no different then if someone, a relative etc. had a heart attack, stroke in your home. It's horrible but you can't prevent it, and it's no one's fault. Obviously your parent had good morals because sadly as we all know some don't.
Stephnrich 09:59 AM 09-07-2015
You are so brave in moving forward and continuing care. ((Hugs)) and prayers your way.
daycarediva 11:04 AM 09-07-2015
Oh my dear (((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) what a beautiful smile he had.
grateday 05:47 PM 09-07-2015
He looks happy and sweet. Meeko, I am glad you are taking it day by day and doing what is best for you
NoMoreJuice! 08:21 PM 09-07-2015
Oh, what a beautiful little guy. My heart still hurts so badly for you. I totally understand your decision to take 1 year and up from now on. I've watched a few babies in the past when I first started, but it made me a bit of a nervous wreck, and now I only take 18 months+. I always had a feeling that even if I did everything right, a tragedy could still happen. I'm so sorry that it happened to you!
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 09-08-2015
Keeping you, your family, James and his family in my thoughts and prayers.
Baby Beluga 08:33 AM 09-08-2015
to you Meeko
Play Care 09:56 AM 09-08-2015
Thinking of you all today and sending prayers your way!
Jack Sprat 10:48 AM 09-08-2015
In my thoughts and prayers
Tags:death - overcoming, sids
Reply Up