Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Cheating

How do you all deal with cheating at games? My two DCG's are siblings and they are horrible at it. One is Kindy, the other first grade. Sometimes I would like to think I could give them a game that is for their age and let them play while I sit near and say prep for the next activity. But every play seems to end up in me needing to intervene to stop cheating. So I always end up taking the game and putting it away after several warnings. Surely I am not the only one with this issue, so any other creative ways to solve this? I want games to be fun, not a fight!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Let them make their own rules! No real rules, no problems. What is the point of the game playing? Is it to learn to follow rules? Is it to play around and socialize and have fun? I guess it depends on what your purpose is. I consider K and first to be old enough to follow simple, real rules, but what's the point if it just causes you issues. Maybe let them take some pieces from one game and some from another and invent a game together!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let them make their own rules! No real rules, no problems. What is the point of the game playing? Is it to learn to follow rules? Is it to play around and socialize and have fun? I guess it depends on what your purpose is. I consider K and first to be old enough to follow simple, real rules, but what's the point if it just causes you issues. Maybe let them take some pieces from one game and some from another and invent a game together!
I may agree with you, if they didn't always end up in a fight!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
How do you all deal with cheating at games? My two DCG's are siblings and they are horrible at it. One is Kindy, the other first grade. Sometimes I would like to think I could give them a game that is for their age and let them play while I sit near and say prep for the next activity. But every play seems to end up in me needing to intervene to stop cheating. So I always end up taking the game and putting it away after several warnings. Surely I am not the only one with this issue, so any other creative ways to solve this? I want games to be fun, not a fight!
Is it always one child that cheats or do they take turns skirting the rules?
Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Is it always one child that cheats or do they take turns skirting the rules?
Mostly one. The other will once in a great while, but the younger sibling does it constantly.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
Mostly one. The other will once in a great while, but the younger sibling does it constantly.
As soon as someone cheats, end the game.

Reward the non-cheater verbally or with whatever motivates her/him.

Stress the importance of playing to have fun by initializing a game and putting it away right in the middle of it so that no one wins or loses....stress that everyone had fun playing and that having fun while playing is the point not playing to win.

I always taught my own kiddos that cheaters never win and winners never cheat.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Stress the importance of playing to have fun by initializing a game and putting it away right in the middle of it so that no one wins or loses....stress that everyone had fun playing and that having fun while playing is the point not playing to win.

This, and I really like a newer series of board games by Peaceable Kingdom. They are cooperative board games so you HAVE to work/strategize together to win the game. I absolutely love these games.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
This, and I really like a newer series of board games by Peaceable Kingdom. They are cooperative board games so you HAVE to work/strategize together to win the game. I absolutely love these games.
Agreed! They are great!!
Unless you are competitive... Cooperative games
Old 12-23-2015, 04:26 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would step in if fighting is getting out of control but I would use it as an opportunity for them to problem solve.

"Can you resolve this or do I need to put the game away?" If they need some ideas for resolution I will assist but at that age I will not direct or referee.

If fighting continues, game goes away and take it outside.

Or each get a deck of cards and are introduced to Solitaire and the Clock game.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks for the ideas. I have never heard of the cooperative games, I will have to google them.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Same here!

I tell the one not cheating that they should go find something else to play with since ____ isn't playing fair. No one likes playing alone and once someone is branded a "cheater", the other kids won't play with them thus most quickly change their tune. Now, if both parties are guilty, then I just take it away.