Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Food Program and Taxes
wdmmom 12:07 PM 04-24-2012
Last year I was not on the food program so I kept track of how many breakfast, lunch and snacks I served.

This year I am looking at the possibility of getting on the food program.

It is my understanding that you have to deliver the same type of information to them...what you served and to how many children, then you get a reimbursement check each month.

I know you would have to claim this as income but do you still get the standardized deduction for the meals you served on your taxes as well?
MyAngels 04:32 PM 04-24-2012
Yes, you still get the deduction. On the food program you can only claim 3 meals/snacks per day, and since I actually serve 4 (breakfast, am & pm snack and lunch) I can deduct more than what I'm paid on the program. I think the IRS guidelines actually allow up to 6 meals/snacks per day to be deducted.
TomCopeland 07:38 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Last year I was not on the food program so I kept track of how many breakfast, lunch and snacks I served.

This year I am looking at the possibility of getting on the food program.

It is my understanding that you have to deliver the same type of information to them...what you served and to how many children, then you get a reimbursement check each month.

I know you would have to claim this as income but do you still get the standardized deduction for the meals you served on your taxes as well?
You still get to use the standard meal allowance rate to claim food expenses, even if you are on the Food Program. Therefore, get on the Food Program! You are always financially better off. You can deduct up to one breakfast, one lunch, one supper, and three snacks per day, per child (if you serve that many).
Tags:food deductions, food program, meal expenses
Reply Up