Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do I do?
littlefriends 06:17 AM 11-15-2019
I accepted a new family this week (boy, barely 2 years) and it’s been nothing but headaches all week. Was supposed to start Monday but couldn’t because she didn’t have payment (I don’t accept into care without payment up front) so she brought him Tuesday morning with payment.

She was late (6:10, my close is 6:00) picking up that night (after calling me at 5:30 asking if I have a car seat she could borrow! Which no, I don’t). She sent her 16 year old daughter to get him (I’m licensed and can’t have anyone under 18 pick up which she knows because I specifically told her at interview when she mentioned the daughter)

She calls me all the time. I never answer because I’m busy and I can’t have a productive conversation while simultaneously taking proper care and attention to 10 toddlers alone). I ask parents to please email or text me during the day if they need to talk to me.

I have a 3 strikes you’re out policy on late pick ups. A family has 3 times of being late to pick up and I will terminate the care contract. Last night she was very close to being late again! She called me at 5:55 (I didn’t answer because I knew what it was about ) pulled in at 5:59 and was acting as if she’d almost died hurrying to get here on time. After I “joked” that she was lucky she made it because she’s already used up one of her strikes she said she might have to offer me a substantial raise in order to be able to be late more! Bribery??No thanks! I want people gone at 6, not more money!

I do what many of you do with the 2 week trial period at the beginning. Today I am giving her a term notice at pick up and I plan to have all of his stuff ready to hand her. My question is what do I do when she flips out?! She strikes me as the type to absolutely not take this well. I’m not sure how to do this. Do I put the notice in a sealed envelope? She’s obviously going to know what’s up as I’m giving her all his stuff with this sealed envelope. What do I say to try to keep all as calm as possible?
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 11-15-2019
Wait until the last second. As she's walking out the door, follow her so you are standing in the doorway. Then hand her the envelope and just say "I'm sorry but this is not working out. Here are DCB's things" and then step back into your house and close and lock the door.

Try to have someone else (preferably and adult) present when she picks up so that she can visually see you are not alone.

If she calls/texts or tries to contact you afterwards don't answer or respond. If she tries to come back into the house have the other adult answer the door and tell her to leave.
littlefriends 07:51 AM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wait until the last second. As she's walking out the door, follow her so you are standing in the doorway. Then hand her the envelope and just say "I'm sorry but this is not working out. Here are DCB's things" and then step back into your house and close and lock the door.

Try to have someone else (preferably and adult) present when she picks up so that she can visually see you are not alone.

If she calls/texts or tries to contact you afterwards don't answer or respond. If she tries to come back into the house have the other adult answer the door and tell her to leave.
Okay, Thank You Black Cat!
sunshst 07:09 PM 11-16-2019
This! Exactly as BlackCat described, step by step, until you close that door and she is gone. Only I wouldn't be opening the door again if she knocks/rings a door bell. You never know what kind of crazy might be lurking just waiting to be unleashed.
gumdrops 11:03 AM 11-19-2019
How did she take the news?
littlefriends 11:27 AM 11-19-2019
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
How did she take the news?
She was supposed to show up on Friday at 10:30 but didn’t. She’d called me that am saying she’d be late dropping off because she needed to figure out how to get my payment to me before 6pm (whatever that means). That was the last straw. I ended up emailing her the official term letter and texting that I was letting her go and to check her email for the letter. I also printed the letter to put in her file and texted her a picture of it to be sure she saw it. I was afraid she’d try to say she didn’t see the email. No reply from her. I put his stuff outside in a tote and in the term letter let her know she has 7 days to pick it up or it will be donated.
Pestle 11:28 AM 11-19-2019
I'm on tenterhooks. I've never even used the word "tenterhooks" before and I'm on them.

Edit: You posted before I did! Wow. She even failed at being terminated. What a disaster.
littlefriends 11:37 AM 11-19-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I'm on tenterhooks. I've never even used the word "tenterhooks" before and I'm on them.

Edit: You posted before I did! Wow. She even failed at being terminated. What a disaster.

I’m just glad I didn’t end up with craziness...the thought of that gives me the barfies. I’m a worrier and I always envision the worst when I have to give someone a “no”.
Tags:bad fit
Reply Up