Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Socal Food Programs
sharlan 07:52 AM 05-02-2013
I am CONSIDERING going on a food program, haven't decided, but would like to interview a couple.

Who do you use and why do you like them and what don't you like about them?
MarinaVanessa 10:18 AM 05-02-2013
It really does depend on how each food program works.

The food program I am on pays the higher tier making it worth it for me. There is also minimal paperwork, we do everything online so we keep track daily on Minute Menu Kids Pro and then submit our entries for the month once a month. That's it. No other paperwork for me than that other than when a new child enrolls so they have to fill out an enrollment form and I have to mail it in. Yearly we have to update all of the enrollment forms so they have to be done again at that time but not a big deal. That's why I do it.

I've heard other food program aren't so nice. Some have TONS of paperwork to keep track of, pay the lesser tier, have mean analysts and have super strict rules. I'd find out about what each one has to offer and what their specific rules are before signing up. Maybe even talk to a few providers in the area so see who they are enrolled in and what they like and don't like???
melilley 11:06 AM 05-02-2013
I agree with what MV said! I wasn't sure about going on it either because when I first signed up I had to do paper menus and send them in, but I'm on Minute Menu Kids and it's the best program ever! Plus I am also on the higher tier so it's so worth it! I actually just received my first full payment and it was $400! I only have 6 kids enrolled and 4 are full time and 2 part time so I think it's definitely worth it! Plus, if you provide food, you have to buy it anyways so why not get paid for it!
I do have to say, do interview them and/or ask lots of questions! I mistakenly went with the first sponsor who called me and I'm not too sure about them. I wish I would have went with a local sponsor mine is about an hour away, but she is in my area all the time, but, some food programs offer training vouchers for completing a great menu and the vouchers that I have gotten are for where my sponsor is from and I don't think I'll drive an hour away when I can go here! But if you aren't happy, they do have an open enrollment where you can switch sponsors, but it's only once a year.
sharlan 11:12 AM 05-02-2013
I'm trying to find out the different programs available in my area. I called our local CCR&R, but they only had one listing. KidNCare.
MarinaVanessa 11:17 AM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm trying to find out the different programs available in my area. I called our local CCR&R, but they only had one listing. KidNCare.
Have you tried googling them? You may or may not have others available to you. Where I live there are 3 but I went with the one that's in my city. The other 2 are 30 minutes away minimum and I just prefer to have them local anyway.
melilley 11:17 AM 05-02-2013
You could call your licensor if you are licensed. There are only a few around me so maybe that's the only one by you.?
Oneluckymom 11:46 AM 05-02-2013
Sharlan...I am with CDA nutrition program. I am in the inland empire and I think they service a large area.

http://www.cdasandiego.com/default.aspx

They have been great. No paper work at all for me other than when I have a new enrollment, which is minimal or when I have to update yearly, again nothing major at all.

Everything is tracked using minute menu...VERY easy!! No rules other than the obvious with meals. I have never been told I have to serve family style etc.

If you want to know who my food program analyst is I can PM you...she is awesome and super fun !! Maybe you can request her, who knows.

I highly recommend going with them.
proudmommyofthree 12:42 PM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Sharlan...I am with CDA nutrition program. I am in the inland empire and I think they service a large area.

http://www.cdasandiego.com/default.aspx

They have been great. No paper work at all for me other than when I have a new enrollment, which is minimal or when I have to update yearly, again nothing major at all.

Everything is tracked using minute menu...VERY easy!! No rules other than the obvious with meals. I have never been told I have to serve family style etc.

If you want to know who my food program analyst is I can PM you...she is awesome and super fun !! Maybe you can request her, who knows.

I highly recommend going with them.

I'm also with CDA. The only problem I had was when the state auditor came by last month. But other than that I love being on it. My rep is super nice and I do everyonthing online. I'm also inland empire, so I honk they will go out to you also.
Oneluckymom 12:47 PM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
I'm also with CDA. The only problem I had was when the state auditor came by last month. But other than that I love being on it. My rep is super nice and I do everyonthing online. I'm also inland empire, so I honk they will go out to you also.
I was " warned" that they would be making rounds. What actually happened when they came out?
proudmommyofthree 12:57 PM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I was " warned" that they would be making rounds. What actually happened when they came out?
Omg it was nerve wracking. I started a thread on it. I don't know how to post it on here by its on page 6. It details what happened. Just make sure when the star auditors do come, you serve everyone at the same time with all components on their plates and also milk served at the same time. The state rep was a you know what!!!. I didn't have the previous 2 days recorded and she was not happy about that's. I had just gotten back from a field trip so I was not prepared at all. I was so nervous. If I can pull up my thread and post here I will.
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 05-02-2013
Omg it was nerve wracking. I started a thread on it. I don't know how to post it on here by its on page 6. It details what happened. Just make sure when the star auditors do come, you serve everyone at the same time with all components on their plates and also milk served at the same time. The state rep was a you know what!!!. I didn't have the previous 2 days recorded and she was not happy about that's. I had just gotten back from a field trip so I was not prepared at all. I was so nervous. If I can pull up my thread and post here I will.
Is this the thread?

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61288
Oneluckymom 01:00 PM 05-02-2013
OMG....I remember that thread !! That's was you? Geez, I'm hoping I get lucky and NOT have to be the ONE next to have a visit. My food program lady said I would do fine, but still it is nerve raking I'm sure !!
sharlan 01:02 PM 05-02-2013
How do you handle when you go on fieldtrips? We go on 2 or 3 fieldtrips a week during the summer. I pack our food most of the time, but sometimes, we do eat at a restaurant.
Oneluckymom 01:09 PM 05-02-2013
I don't do field trips, but I think you would just claim those meals for each child present at the end of the day as would any other day. Restaurants I'm not sure...
proudmommyofthree 01:10 PM 05-02-2013
How do you handle when you go on fieldtrips? We go on 2 or 3 fieldtrips a week during the summer. I pack our food most of the time, but sometimes, we do eat at a restaurant.
I pack my food and take it with me. I call the office in San Diego and tell them I will not be home but I will be claiming my am snack and lunch or whatever it is I'm taking. I have just downloaded their app and according to the app I may say I'm out. But I have not used that feature yet. When school is out I take 3-4 week trips per week, sometimes im gone every day. As long as you call them they're ok with that.
Michelle 05:52 PM 05-02-2013
for our food program if you want to go on a field trip.. you have to call them and let them know the day before, tell them what you are serving and write it down, and then where you are going and what time you are serving the meal ( must be within your stated lunch time) in case they need to see you serve it to them..

We do it all the time and I have never had them come find us or whatever, it's just for their records in case they are audited.
sharlan 06:32 PM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
for our food program if you want to go on a field trip.. you have to call them and let them know the day before, tell them what you are serving and write it down, and then where you are going and what time you are serving the meal ( must be within your stated lunch time) in case they need to see you serve it to them..

We do it all the time and I have never had them come find us or whatever, it's just for their records in case they are audited.
They would have fun trying to hunt us down at DL, Raging Waters, or the Aquarium. My problem is that I often decide at the last minute.
Michelle 07:29 PM 05-02-2013
They would have fun trying to hunt us down at DL, Raging Waters, or the Aquarium. My problem is that I often decide at the last minute.

that actually happened!
They asked me where I was taking the kids and I said" Disneyland" and they are like " ummmm I can't observe a meal there..so just document what they ate"
Michelle 07:35 PM 05-02-2013
The best thing to do is tell them that you take field trips like every Mon/Wed/Fri or whatever and then they won't come on those days!
My dh took 4 of the preschoolers to DL today and I stayed home with the babies, so if they showed up it would have been ok, but just try to set a schedule for them

Also after being on it long enough you can pretty much predict when they are coming.

On the DL subject, let me know the next time you are going, we are going Mothers Day weekend
Tags:food program, food program - california
Reply Up