Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Milk Requirements
lovemykidstoo 05:56 AM 04-12-2019
I have 2 families with babies that are turning 12 months in the next week. Both moms have asked me if I would serve almond milk instead of whole milk when they turn 1. I called food program and they said no, unless it's medically necessary. Not just preference. I asked the 1 mom about organic milk, but she said no she wants almond. Anyone run into this?
CountryRoads 06:29 AM 04-12-2019
I'm not on the food program, so I don't know if this will be any help, but I don't supply "specialty" foods.

I serve what it is on my menu, and if a parent would like something different, then they need to supply it.

I actually have a dcg who drinks almond milk and mom brings a jug and leaves it here.
lovemykidstoo 06:31 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I'm not on the food program, so I don't know if this will be any help, but I don't supply "specialty" foods.

I serve what it is on my menu, and if a parent would like something different, then they need to supply it.

I actually have a dcg who drinks almond milk and mom brings a jug and leaves it here.
The problem is, even if they supply it, I have to serve whole milk.

One of these parents is the same one that continues to send her daughter in with an amber necklace. Every time I take it right off and hand it to her and tell her it's not allowed here. First of all I think they're dumb and secondly even if people think they work, hers is long so it hangs on top of her shirt. Doubt that's going to work anyway.
Snowmom 06:36 AM 04-12-2019
Yes, I have.
FP does not support Almond milk without a DR's special diet statement. But, if they want soy, only a parent note is needed.

https://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs...ubstitutes.pdf

Would they consider Lactose-Free milk? Lactaid (sold at Aldi's too) has a whole milk option. It is approved.
LittleExplorers 06:45 AM 04-12-2019
Do they say why? I would explain your required guidelines. You could offer to increase their rates and have them opt out of the food program if you don't want to miss out on the funds. That might change their mind.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 04-12-2019
Here is the milk substitution list and what you need to do to meet meal patterns

https://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs...ubstitutes.pdf

https://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs...lk%20Subst.pdf

https://www.providerschoice.com/pdfs...he%20CACFP.pdf
Pestle 06:50 AM 04-12-2019
I'm not on the food program yet, but I'm providing food like I am so it won't be a challenging transition. Since DD has a nut allergy it's been easy for me to just enforce my food allergy rules and say "I provide whole milk; you may send in soy milk in the original packaging. No other options." Other than removing child-specific allergens from the menu I don't adjust my meals or food policies for anybody because it's a life and death issue for families with food allergies, including my own family and two others currently enrolled.

Fairly sure one of my first families tried to sneak almond milk in one day in a glass bottle, claiming it was soy. I respect people who have nontraditional diets for ethical reasons, and I accommodate people who have nontraditional diets for digestive reasons, but when there's an anaphylactic allergy in play those other two groups dang well better adjust their habits so they don't kill somebody.
CountryRoads 06:53 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
The problem is, even if they supply it, I have to serve whole milk.

One of these parents is the same one that continues to send her daughter in with an amber necklace. Every time I take it right off and hand it to her and tell her it's not allowed here. First of all I think they're dumb and secondly even if people think they work, hers is long so it hangs on top of her shirt. Doubt that's going to work anyway.
Oh, gotcha! I don't know anything about the food program lol

I had a parent who always wrapped one of those necklaces around her child's ankle. You would think those things would be a safety hazard.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Do they say why? I would explain your required guidelines. You could offer to increase their rates and have them opt out of the food program if you don't want to miss out on the funds. That might change their mind.
Is that a legal option?

I've never looked into it but years ago (like 10/15 yrs) I thought I heard at a training or something that you can't raise rates for one family just because they don't want to be on the food program.

I wonder if that has changed or if it was true/false at all...
LittleExplorers 07:13 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is that a legal option?

I've never looked into it but years ago (like 10/15 yrs) I thought I heard at a training or something that you can't raise rates for one family just because they don't want to be on the food program.

I wonder if that has changed or if it was true/false at all...
I have never done it so it would be a good idea to check into it. I have not heard anything in my t rainjngs that you can't but I haven't read the contract since I started. As our cost goes up, I would think we could pass that along, but anything is possible when tied to government funds.
jenboo 07:15 AM 04-12-2019
This is probably the wrong answer but I hate cows milk and soy milk. When I reopen im not joining the food program specifically due to that requirement. What i used to do was have the parents bring their milk off choice. I put a pitcher of cows milk on the table and served the kids the milk they brought from home.

No one drank any of the milk anyway
lovemykidstoo 08:00 AM 04-12-2019
They both dont' want them to drink cows milk because they're afraid of hormones.

The one family when he was younger wanted me to use the nursery water that comes in a jug to mix his formula with it. Our tap water is just fine. There is nothing wrong with it at all.
Cat Herder 08:09 AM 04-12-2019
Every. Single. Client. wants almond milk, now. Even the ones that were drinking milk here two years ago. All claim "allergy" (constipation, eczema, slowed appetite), none can provide a medical statement. All can fill out a feeding plan (required form), though, and request substitutions. The problem I am having is that all the parents want vanilla flavored almond milk. It is frustrating because the kids won't drink the unflavored as vanilla is what they drink at home.

I simply changed my menu to include a dairy component that excludes milk (cheese, yogurt) to make sure they are getting some calcium. I am not on the food program, but my regs require me to meet the component with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I must follow the same rules as the public school system.

"Non-Dairy Beverages

For children or adults who cannot consume fluid milk due to non-disability medical or other special dietary needs, non-dairy beverages may be served in place of fluid milk. This has been in effect since September 15, 2011 and allows the CACFP to better serve the dietary needs of its participants. Non-dairy beverages must be nutritionally equivalent to milk and meet the nutritional standards for fortification of calcium, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, and other nutrients to levels found in cow’s milk. The nutrient standards for non-dairy beverages are outlined in the CACFP regulations at 7 CFR 226.20(g)(3). As stated above, non-dairy beverages served to children 1 through 5 years old must be unflavored due to the higher sugar content of flavored varieties.

CACFP State agencies have the discretion to identify appropriate substitutions that meet these requirements. FNS encourages CACFP State agencies to coordinate with the State agency operating the National School Lunch Program to ensure that the identified locally available substitutions are consistent among the Child Nutrition Programs.

Parents, guardians, adult participants, or a person on behalf of the adult participant, must provide a written request for the non-dairy milk substitution that is nutritionally equivalent to milk. A medical statement is not required. For example, if a parent has a child who follows a vegan diet, the parent must submit a written request to the child’s center or daycare home asking that soy milk be served in place of cow’s milk. The written request must identify the medical or other special dietary need that restricts the diet of the child or adult.

Non-dairy beverage substitutions are served at the option and the expense of the center or day care home.
storybookending 11:18 AM 04-12-2019
I don’t participate in the food program. I just wanted to mention the cultural difference here that I find fascinating. Many of you have stated that many clients are requesting almond milk. I live in a rural farming town in WI. I have never had this request (although I am fairly new but I did work in a larger center for 7 years). I had one child in all my time drink almond milk and it was for dietary reasons. There are actually petitions in my state to have the word “milk” removed from packaging on almond and other “milks”. Only “hippies” drink almond milk. The dairy industry is still such a big deal here that people also petition that cows milk should actually cost more in stores because farmers are being robbed. Just things I found interesting here.
Cat Herder 11:39 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I don’t participate in the food program. I just wanted to mention the cultural difference here that I find fascinating. Many of you have stated that many clients are requesting almond milk. I live in a rural farming town in WI. I have never had this request (although I am fairly new but I did work in a larger center for 7 years). I had one child in all my time drink almond milk and it was for dietary reasons. There are actually petitions in my state to have the word “milk” removed from packaging on almond and other “milks”. Only “hippies” drink almond milk. The dairy industry is still such a big deal here that people also petition that cows milk should actually cost more in stores because farmers are being robbed. Just things I found interesting here.
My clients are really rural, deep south and definitely not hippies. Here it is more about the cost efficiency of extended expiration dates and high temperatures/humidity making the thought of drinking milk as a beverage nauseating. We are all about the ice cream, yogurt, cheese, butter, whipped cream, and pudding, though. Buttermilk is a huge thing, too. Just not at my house, unless it's going in some biscuits.
Cat Herder 11:48 AM 04-12-2019
Forgot to mention that one of the biggest blows to many here was when they no longer allowed powdered milk. That was more common to see than gallons when I was coming up. The poor and perceived food waste.
storybookending 11:51 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My clients are really rural, deep south and definitely not hippies. Here it is more about the cost efficiency of extended expiration dates and high temperatures/humidity making the thought of drinking milk as a beverage nauseating. We are all about the ice cream, yogurt, cheese, butter, whipped cream, and pudding, though. Buttermilk is a huge thing, too. Just not at my house, unless it's going in some biscuits.
What are the prices of cows milk vs almond milk like for you all. Here I can get a gallon of milk for $1.77, almond milk is $1.94 a quart which comes to $7.76 a gallon. Obviously that’s because most cows milk available here is produced here. I just got back from a vacation in Hawaii a couple weeks ago. I took a picture of the cows milk there and it was listed at $6.99 a gallon.
Cat Herder 12:07 PM 04-12-2019
On Monday my DH paid $3.98 for a gallon of 1% that expires April 20th and $1.98 for a quart of Silk Almond that expires on May 29th.

There is 0 chance I will use that gallon of milk before it expires but my DH loves his cereal. The Silk has also replaced my coffee creamer.

(oh, and just checked my weekend flier and the milk is on sale today with a coupon for $2.81, while supplies last)
Mom2Two 12:12 PM 04-12-2019
I like the idea above where you put a pitcher (like, use a blender bottle maybe) and small cups and make it available. That would meet the requirement for food program, I think.

Personally, we just do the food program milk requirements. But I have had some kids who don't want dairy milk but it's not really medical. I just give those kids some milk and also their water cups. I plan on tossing the milk. But I might ask about switching to just doing family style for milk.
happymom 12:39 PM 04-12-2019
I don't know the difference but I'm pretty positive my daycare center is on the food program (I can not imagine they would not be) and my son came home complaining that they just give him milk and he doesn't like milk.

I was able to ask that they give him water instead, and they acted like it was no problem. They just had me make a note, didn't need a doctors note. It was just his personal preference.
storybookending 01:04 PM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:
I don't know the difference but I'm pretty positive my daycare center is on the food program (I can not imagine they would not be) and my son came home complaining that they just give him milk and he doesn't like milk.

I was able to ask that they give him water instead, and they acted like it was no problem. They just had me make a note, didn't need a doctors note. It was just his personal preference.
At the center when I ran a school aged program I filled about half the cups with milk and half with water and as long as we had enough on hand to feed every child if they all chose milk we were fine. Their milk program was called the special milk program.
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:

More than likely it's because "most" are required to OFFER.
Your son speaks and is old enough to make choices.

I have a 2 yr old that I know does not like milk.
I ask her everyday if she wants milk or water.
She chooses water.
I am still reimbursed as I offered, she declined.
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
There are actually petitions in my state to have the word “milk” removed from packaging on almond and other “milks”.
The request to have the word milk removed from soy and almond etc milk is from the FDA

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2141212002/
lovemykidstoo 09:53 AM 04-15-2019
I told mom what the food program rep said when I called and that was that if she wants almond milk she needs a medical reason written by the doctor. She says what if I buy it. UGH I said it doesn't matter who pays for it.

Milk is the only option under our food program for that category. Cheese/yogurt is under "meat". He is not old enough to make a family style meal his choice and since it's the only option in that category I have to serve it.

This is from the mom that when I asked what solid foods he was eating, she now says he's eating everything including peanut butter. She said he loves it and that her husband feeds it to him by the spoonfull. He's 11 months old.
Tags:food program, food program - milk requirements, milk requirements
Reply Up