Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Kind Of A House Or Home You Use For Your Family Daycare?
Baan Dek Lek 03:17 PM 06-24-2013
I have a town home/row home and looking for taking care of 2-3 kids plus my own baby. I am worrying if it will work or any potential customers will think that it is too small or smaller than their houses. I can use my backyard for (messy) play area (like water/sand play/ biking) and there are 2 playgrounds in walking distances in my community. I am wondering if I can get customers.
Does anyone have the same type of home like me?
TheGoodLife 04:27 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Baan Dek Lek:
I have a town home/row home and looking for taking care of 2-3 kids plus my own baby. I am worrying if it will work or any potential customers will think that it is too small or smaller than their houses. I can use my backyard for (messy) play area (like water/sand play/ biking) and there are 2 playgrounds in walking distances in my community. I am wondering if I can get customers.
Does anyone have the same type of home like me?
There are a LOT of split entry, smaller homes in my city used for home DC. We actually moved out of our split to get a 2 story walk-out in order to open my business, as I wanted a bigger basement area (and we were trying for and subsequently expected our DD3). Many split entries here are similar to if not smaller than the town homes in the area. I think you will be fine, as long as there's nothing that says you can't do a home business from there. Good luck to you!!!!
AmyKidsCo 05:33 PM 06-24-2013
I think if you emphasize the positives it'll be fine: small group size = more one-on-one attention, cozy/homelike atmosphere, kids can't "hide" or get lost as easily as in a large center, etc.
MotherNature 05:47 PM 06-24-2013
We live in a duplex side by side. We rent, and it has a bit of a backyard, not fully fenced though, and I have parents that love me b/c of what I offer that's different than most, not b/c I have 1500 sq foot of just daycare space or a huge backyard fully fenced or something. I know some people have been successful in an apt complex. Good luck! I know I worried initially too that no one would come if I wasn't in a house all to ourselves.
MarinaVanessa 06:04 PM 06-24-2013
I live in a condo townhouse. 1,200 square ft with one full bathroom and three bedrooms upstairs and the living room, dining room, kitchen and half bath downstairs. I only use the downstairs for daycare so I extend my space to the back patio (I can't really call it a yard). I do just fine. You just have to be creative with your space and turn the negatives into positives.

Here are photos of my space.
Meeko 06:34 PM 06-24-2013
House with basement. 3000 sq ft. Basement used mainly for daycare only, except we have a family room down there.
Michael 07:21 PM 06-24-2013
Other daycare with small room/space.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=small+room
TheGoodLife 08:04 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I live in a condo townhouse. 1,200 square ft with one full bathroom and three bedrooms upstairs and the living room, dining room, kitchen and half bath downstairs. I only use the downstairs for daycare so I extend my space to the back patio (I can't really call it a yard). I do just fine. You just have to be creative with your space and turn the negatives into positives.

My3cents 11:00 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

I love your web page and might ask you for some help in the future in doing my own. Thanks for sharing-
LK5kids 02:54 PM 06-25-2013
We bought a house just or child care....a 1940's era bungalow. Nice arch between living room and dining room. Sort of open concept and in very good condition. It had been well taken care of.

Downfall? No trees or shade in the backyard and a microscopic kitchen without enough counter to put out 8 plates. I don't want to do family style. I will have to take everything off the counters and also put a board across the double sink once I am licensed and have a full enrollment and absolutely need more pace.
Tags:small room
Reply Up