Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Endless Paperwork with Early Head Start
dbslas 07:48 PM 10-15-2013
Do any of you have either Early Head Start or Head Start children? We have 6 Early Head Start and 6 community. The insane amount of paperwork with Head Start is driving me insane! It just seems like we are spending so much time doing observations, individualizing for each child, home visits, parent-teacher conferences, monthly goals for each domain for each child, setting family goals with the parents, riding the parents about dental visits, doctor visits, proof of employment, schooling, etc.

I believe in the program. I believe it serves our community. But the idiots in charge of the program have NO clue how doing all this paperwork gets in the way of our real job of caring for, teaching, and nurturing these young lives. Not to mention that Head Start Centers have many employees to manage all of the paperwork, whereas the family childcare home generally has 1 or 2 total people handling it all. Grrrrr..... end rant.
Leigh 08:38 PM 10-15-2013
Wow-do you TEACH Headstart? I guess I am confused by the question-as a provider whose kids leave for Headstart, I have never been asked to do anything.
se7en 08:53 PM 10-15-2013
Can someone explain Head Start to me ? I know it`s a type of pre - school. That's all I know. Thanks.
dbslas 08:58 PM 10-15-2013
Yes. We are contracted for 6 Early Head Start (0-3years) children. I presume the paperwork/requirements are similar to the Head Start Centers. It is A LOT of work. Plus Head Start office staff comes to our home several times a year to observe us, grade us, review our files, etc.
blandino 09:13 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by se7en:
Can someone explain Head Start to me ? I know it`s a type of pre - school. That's all I know. Thanks.
Head Start is a program that encourages early education & family services & support for low income families. I believe you have to financially qualify for their services.
butterfly 09:15 PM 10-15-2013
I've had foster children in head start. I HATED the paperwork for head start. I only ended up sending one child to head start due to the amount of paperwork, home visits, scheduling pickups/drop offs - a HUGE PITA!! It's wonderful for parents who can't afford a traditional preschool or don't have access to a great daycare provider, etc. but the ridiculous paperwork is just too much!!
dbslas 09:29 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I've had foster children in head start. I HATED the paperwork for head start. I only ended up sending one child to head start due to the amount of paperwork, home visits, scheduling pickups/drop offs - a HUGE PITA!! It's wonderful for parents who can't afford a traditional preschool or don't have access to a great daycare provider, etc. but the ridiculous paperwork is just too much!!
Do you mean the paperwork for you as a parent, or you as a provider that had Head Start children? The paperwork that we have to do with the parents is nothing compared to what we as providers have to do that has nothing to do with the parents. My own child was in head start and I never minded one bit doing whatever paperwork the provider asked of me because I was getting wonderful care for my child and whatever they needed, I provided no problem. But as a provider (well, i am the assistant who does much of the paperwork), it is absurd, and overkill as many of the forms are basically asking the same things, just worded differently.

It just seems like we are supposed to be doctors (we actually have to take their height and weight and make sure they get their physicals, dentals, shots, etc). social workers (must know how the family is doing -- do they need anything, have to invade their home, make sure they arrive by a certain time, call them if they don't show, give them resources on anything they need, and so on. It's endless.
Heidi 05:02 AM 10-16-2013
No...she is an early head start PROVIDER. Basically, sub-contracted by Headstart to provide the services in her home center, vs. them going to a commercial-building program directly through them.
LK5kids 05:48 AM 10-16-2013
I was part of a Head Start family child care program about 15 years ago. It was for kids 3-5 yrs. it was a pilot program. It lasted two years and there wasn't any paperwork....can you believe it

For the person who asked Head Start is a federal gov. Preschool program.
Leanna 06:33 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
Do any of you have either Early Head Start or Head Start children? We have 6 Early Head Start and 6 community. The insane amount of paperwork with Head Start is driving me insane! It just seems like we are spending so much time doing observations, individualizing for each child, home visits, parent-teacher conferences, monthly goals for each domain for each child, setting family goals with the parents, riding the parents about dental visits, doctor visits, proof of employment, schooling, etc.

I believe in the program. I believe it serves our community. But the idiots in charge of the program have NO clue how doing all this paperwork gets in the way of our real job of caring for, teaching, and nurturing these young lives. Not to mention that Head Start Centers have many employees to manage all of the paperwork, whereas the family childcare home generally has 1 or 2 total people handling it all. Grrrrr..... end rant.
Prior to being a family care provider I was a teacher supervisor at a Head Start/Early Head Start program. I agree that the paperwork is more than cumbersome. It was difficult to comply with all of the demands with teachers, a nurse, social worker, and myself all pitching in - I can't imagine doing it all on my own as a provider and still being able t supervise and interact with the children like I'd want. I think the program is wonderful but obviously something needs tweaking.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Prior to being a family care provider I was a teacher supervisor at a Head Start/Early Head Start program. I agree that the paperwork is more than cumbersome. It was difficult to comply with all of the demands with teachers, a nurse, social worker, and myself all pitching in - I can't imagine doing it all on my own as a provider and still being able t supervise and interact with the children like I'd want. I think the program is wonderful but obviously something needs tweaking.
I also worked as a teacher in Head Start prior to child care.

The paperwork was ridiculous....

I do not support or believe in the program though. Like a lot of things, everything looks great on paper but isn't at all or even close in real life.
Leanna 06:51 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I do not support or believe in the program though. Like a lot of things, everything looks great on paper but isn't at all or even close in real life.
Really? Interesting. Do you mind sharing what aspect(s) of the program (other than paperwork!) you don't like or don't agree with? Just curious.
itlw8 07:00 AM 10-16-2013
The were looking for family childcares to participate in early Head Start here. I believe in the program but there was no way I could do it and still serve other children . Yet I would need the others to make an income.

Sis is the administrator at our district early childhood program it includes and early headstart for teen moms. parents have to jump through tons of hoops because a good part of the success is changing the family . So if they have to do lots there is always a paper trail and you know who does that.

When I decide to scale back in a few years I may actually do it if they still include Family childcares. I think I would have to get reaccredited first.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 10-16-2013
Really? Interesting. Do you mind sharing what aspect(s) of the program (other than paperwork!) you don't like or don't agree with? Just curious.
I do not agree with the push to academically educate children so young.

I think that the program should focus on the basic necessities and since so many families that participate are low income, the focus should be on teaching families how to become independent and self-sufficient verses just keeping them in the system.

I can't say that ALL Head Start programs are the same but where I worked, the gossip, condescending attitudes about enrolled families and their personal lives was astounding.

We were out right "trained" to think that NO parent participating had more than an 8th grade education. We were "rewarded" every time, we convinced a family to enroll or use a government program.

The program is THE biggest waster of funding with catered lunches, outings and conferences. Grant money that was spent on things that weren't needed and outright against the rules.

But hey...it's a grant right... If we didn't spend it all, we didn't get as much next year.

I could go on and on but honestly the biggest thing for me was that even Head Start doesn't think their own program is successful but yet the government insists on spending billions on a program that can't even prove it's own worth and effort.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 10-16-2013
Here is the findings of Head Starts own study on the program's effectiveness.

VERY clearly it says that based on the information available, the results show that providing access to Head Start did not appear to have much impact on children and their academic success beyond 1st grade and no impact beyond grade 3.

So for $7+ BILLION dollars per year, that is the results.
Leanna 09:52 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do not agree with the push to academically educate children so young.

I think that the program should focus on the basic necessities and since so many families that participate are low income, the focus should be on teaching families how to become independent and self-sufficient verses just keeping them in the system.

I can't say that ALL Head Start programs are the same but where I worked, the gossip, condescending attitudes about enrolled families and their personal lives was astounding.

We were out right "trained" to think that NO parent participating had more than an 8th grade education. We were "rewarded" every time, we convinced a family to enroll or use a government program.

The program is THE biggest waster of funding with catered lunches, outings and conferences. Grant money that was spent on things that weren't needed and outright against the rules.

But hey...it's a grant right... If we didn't spend it all, we didn't get as much next year.

I could go on and on but honestly the biggest thing for me was that even Head Start doesn't think their own program is successful but yet the government insists on spending billions on a program that can't even prove it's own worth and effort.
Wow...did you work at the same Head Start as me???

I do feel however, that the program provided a safe place for children to be for the better part of the day plus nutritious meals...and free child care for many working parents with no other options. To me that was more important that all of their "indicators" and "outcomes."
Blackcat31 10:03 AM 10-16-2013
Wow...did you work at the same Head Start as me???

I do feel however, that the program provided a safe place for children to be for the better part of the day plus nutritious meals...and free child care for many working parents with no other options. To me that was more important that all of their "indicators" and "outcomes."
LOL! Glad to hear it was not just my Head Start...although that is sad that those kinds of things happen in other places too....

I DO agree that the immediate positives were a good thing
dbslas 06:11 PM 10-16-2013
[quote=Blackcat31;399547]I do not agree with the push to academically educate children so young.

I agree with you as far as focusing so much on academics at such a young age. Unfortunately, the program defines success/failures based on how the children are scored in each domain based on their age, however does not take into consideration that many of these children come to us not even speaking English (we don't speak Spanish), or even exposed to a group daycare/preschool with other children. However, by the time they leave I can wholeheartedly say that these children are at or above where they are "supposed" to be.

As far as teaching families how to become independent -- this program does. That is where I turn into a "social worker". We are supposed to find out what they need: schooling/better employment/food/housing, etc. etc., and work with them to make it all happen. My issue with this is that I feel it is not MY job as the provider to take on this role. I feel the Head Start office staff should be handling this aspect of it, as well as making sure they are working/going to school by collecting paystubs/class schedules, making sure their children have annual physicals/dentals, etc., then we could focus more on the child.

That type of behavior can be found in any working environment, not specific to Head Start. We all complain here about certain parents and their children and how they get under our skin. I don't see any difference. I certainly don't condone talking poorly about any family based solely on their education or lack thereof, their income or lack thereof. That being said, it DOES get under my skin when parents abuse the program or feel entitled and show no appreciation. But again, this could be for many other programs -- not just Head Start

We were out right "trained" to think that NO parent participating had more than an 8th grade education. We were "rewarded" every time, we convinced a family to enroll or use a government program. That is unfortunate. We do not get any rewards for anything and have seen such a diverse group of parents throughout the years using this program. I could never assume or be "trained" to think that all enrolled parents have only an 8th grade education. And even if they ALL did -- an 8th grade education does not mean 8th grade intelligence.

Unfortunately, this happens way too often, but again, not specific to just Head Start programs.

In my humble opinion, the program would be a bigger success if the people doling out all the stupid paperwork, and rating scales, and educational "goals" for 0-5 year olds, and just let the providers and teachers TEACH the way we do with our community families, then they might see that educating Head Start children should be no different then educating any other child. Let them be kids, learn through play, and they will all do fine! We shouldn't be forced to document that jonny picked his nose at 26 months, jamie stacked 5 blocks, but susie, the same age can only stack 3 so SHE IS BEHIND FOR HER AGE OH MY GOD CALL IN THE EXPERTS TO OBSERVE HER AND FIND OUT WHY THE PROGRAM IS A FAILURE!

So basically, I do believe in the program. I have seen in literally change families' lives. As will every program that is subsidized, you are going to have people who appreciate the help and make sure to use the tools offered to better their situations and you will have those who just want to handout. But stop the madness with the paperwork.

Tags:head start
Reply Up