Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default The Child That Acts Fine But Coughs Every 5 Minutes

What to do? I have a 4y old DCG that sometimes covers and sometimes doesn't but is coughing like every 5 minutes or more. I'm tired of being a broken record or cough your cough and today at lunch after warning her if she doesn't cover I'm putting her at her own table, which I ended up having to do. Do I just do this with everything? Tell them to keep her home? She's acting fine otherwise.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I had a dcb last week that had that terrible cough and he was coughing ALOT. He was fine otherwise. I let him stay because I also have that cough and I feel fine otherwise. It can hang on forever!! As long as he's not running a fever or anything I would let him stay. Also, with the covering of the mouth. I don't know if it helps that much anyway. The way these kids handle toys, those germs are everywhere anyway.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM
New Daycare.com Member

My son has asthma and ALWAYS has a chronic cough after an illness...personally I would be furious if someone made him sit at his own table because of this!
If she is attending shouldn't it be assumed that she is no longer contagious?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM

I knowmy son has a dry cough right now. He is doing it a lot but there is nothing there and seems to feel fine not a temp or anything just annoying for everyone to listen to. I sent him to school today to.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snips&snails View Post
My son has asthma and ALWAYS has a chronic cough after an illness...personally I would be furious if someone made him sit at his own table because of this!
It may be that the child is not contagious but who wants to have their food coughed on. I have made children sit at their own table if they are not able to cover coughing and sneezing. The table isn't far from the rest of us and I move from table to table. I'm not letting the other kids get coughed on just because a child is not covering their mouth.

K

dd12
ds 10
dd 8
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snips&snails View Post
Assumed by who? Colds are contagious, but I can't exclude for the basic common cold... otherwise, I'd never have any kids here!! So no, it should not be assumed.
Also, parents bring sick kids to daycare ALL THE TIME (a common complaint here on the forum) so to think a parent would keep a contagious child home because it's the right thing to do is incorrect.

Anyhow, we don't know if this child is contagious or not, but the provider is doing her best to protect the group as a whole. I personally would be furious if my daycare provider didn't care and was allowing my child and his food to be coughed all over. GROSS!

Oh and the OP said nothing about her dck having asthma...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Her table is right next to theirs she's just not facing over their food (my reg table is a big square). She is next to it so her coughing is only going over her stuff.

I know her parents give her meds in the morning but not sure if it's for the cough or a fever, I would assume cough since she is acting fine and a fever didn't come on yesterday afternoon once the meds wore off.

I have all preschool age here so toys don't go in the mouth. I've also set up the nap mats so she's not coughing on anyone. The other kids are getting annoyed that she keeps coughing on them.

I think she's coughed 5 times while I was typing this.

No asthma - came in yesterday with congestion and a cough.