Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Burnt out......
angelicpretty 06:44 AM 05-03-2012
Hey everyone

I work at a school age center and we are open this year until June 20. (At which time I am transitioning to a different job.)

I need advice because both myself and my co-worker are BURNT OUT

We have two full months to go and both of us are simply exhausted from the day to day grind. The kids and their behavior is awful and I can fess up to the fact that most days I feel like i'm too tired to care. We still uphold our in-room behavior plan but one of the main problems with the company I work for is that no matter how awful the kids act, there really are no long-term consequences besides a write-up on a sheet of paper that no one will ever see. Lately we have done nothing extra outside of homework time and outside time. (No extra games, activities, etc.)

As crazy as this sounds, our group of kids doesn't care for doing art projects. They all attend a really great school and by the time they arrive to our care they are "over it" in terms of guided activities. Also my end of year budget is very low. At the beginning of the year I was able to hold their interest but it has become almost impossible lately. It is also difficult to entertain an age range of kids from 5-11 and to find something the older kids don't think is "for little kids."

Most days I am dragging myself to work. Yes, I love these kids and yes we have good moments-but for the most part, I just feel bogged down and a little depressed.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can turn the next two months around to be more positive for everyone?
Solandia 07:28 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by angelicpretty:
Hey everyone

I work at a school age center and we are open this year until June 20. (At which time I am transitioning to a different job.)

I need advice because both myself and my co-worker are BURNT OUT

We have two full months to go and both of us are simply exhausted from the day to day grind. The kids and their behavior is awful and I can fess up to the fact that most days I feel like i'm too tired to care. We still uphold our in-room behavior plan but one of the main problems with the company I work for is that no matter how awful the kids act, there really are no long-term consequences besides a write-up on a sheet of paper that no one will ever see. Lately we have done nothing extra outside of homework time and outside time. (No extra games, activities, etc.)

As crazy as this sounds, our group of kids doesn't care for doing art projects. They all attend a really great school and by the time they arrive to our care they are "over it" in terms of guided activities. Also my end of year budget is very low. At the beginning of the year I was able to hold their interest but it has become almost impossible lately. It is also difficult to entertain an age range of kids from 5-11 and to find something the older kids don't think is "for little kids."

Most days I am dragging myself to work. Yes, I love these kids and yes we have good moments-but for the most part, I just feel bogged down and a little depressed.

Does anyone have any advice for how I can turn the next two months around to be more positive for everyone?
It is an Olympic year...do track and field events! Good, old-fashioned running around and throwing things. I would group the kids into "countries" to make their own flag(which could be judged by the other teachers as another 'event' for best flag). Have the points for winning accummulate until the end of the year, maintain a leaderboard and everything. Have Gold/Silver/Bronze/participation medals from Oriental Trading for the closing ceremonies. I love the Olympics!

It's the time of year, though...everyone, including the kids, are antsy as hell...crabby and waiting for the school year to just end already. Just ask the school teachers how much they just love April & May in their classrooms, LOL.
3girls 08:44 AM 05-03-2012
Self care for you! Can you make time in the morning to go for a walk or run before work?
Ariana 09:21 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
It is an Olympic year...do track and field events! Good, old-fashioned running around and throwing things. I would group the kids into "countries" to make their own flag(which could be judged by the other teachers as another 'event' for best flag). Have the points for winning accummulate until the end of the year, maintain a leaderboard and everything. Have Gold/Silver/Bronze/participation medals from Oriental Trading for the closing ceremonies. I love the Olympics!

It's the time of year, though...everyone, including the kids, are antsy as hell...crabby and waiting for the school year to just end already. Just ask the school teachers how much they just love April & May in their classrooms, LOL.
I agree with physical activity. They're sitting all day long and when they get to you they need to blow off steam!!
Tags:burn out, burnout, end of the year
Reply Up