Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Allow Shoes In Daycare
mindi1314 02:00 PM 01-30-2014
I'm talking about parents.
We are a no shoe in the house family and I have a sign on my entrance door to daycare to please remove shoes. I have asked parents multiple times to please not wear shoes and include it in my quarterly newsletter EVERY time yet I have 2 consistent offenders.

thoughts....
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 01-30-2014
"Hey, Mary! I've been really clear about my "no shoes in the house" policy. Could you remove your shoes please."

Don't ask, nudge, remind or beg. TELL.

This is YOUR house. The rugs/carpets aren't going to speak up and tell your parents and obviously the parents aren't hearing or listening so this is one of those times where you are just going to have to be blunt and firm about what you want.
mindi1314 02:16 PM 01-30-2014
I just don't get it - I ask the same 2 parents at least twice a week to please leave their shoes upstairs. One mom always says - oh but these boots are just so difficult to get on and off. The other dad always says oh yah, I keep forgetting.

I think I'm not coming across firm enough. I know I need to stand my ground.

Thanks - just need a nice firm way to say it and a backbone to enforce.
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by mindi1314:
I just don't get it - I ask the same 2 parents at least twice a week to please leave their shoes upstairs. One mom always says - oh but these boots are just so difficult to get on and off. The other dad always says oh yah, I keep forgetting.

I think I'm not coming across firm enough. I know I need to stand my ground.

Thanks - just need a nice firm way to say it and a backbone to enforce.
It IS hard to be firm. I just try to make a nice mix of firmness and humor because you do have to see these people everyday but yet don't want dirty floors.

Maybe try handing them the mop when they walk in.....tell them "shoes off
or mop...your choice"

Or when the mom says that her boots are hard to remove, just tell it's okay she doesn't have to remove her boots....you'll just send her the bill for the professional carpet cleaning you will be having done as soon as she leaves.

Bet her boots suddenly become easier to remove.
Second Home 02:25 PM 01-30-2014
All shoes come off at the front door . For safety and cleanliness.

I have had parents complain that their kids want to keep their shoes on .
Nope no shoes , they can bring soft slippers but nothing that will hurt little fingers if they step on someones hand .
jenboo 02:37 PM 01-30-2014
You could get the shoe cover things. Maybe have a few pairs in a basket by the door. They wouldnt have to be replaced very often.
I can see how it could be annoying to have to take my shoes off for 5 minutes to drop my kids off and then have to put them back on, especially if they dont slip right on.

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Skid-Safe...ds=shoe+covers
Cat Herder 03:08 PM 01-30-2014
Problem: I think I'm not coming across firm enough. I know I need to stand my ground.

Continuation of problem: Thanks - just need a nice firm way to say it and a backbone to enforce.
You do not have to sugar coat things for adults. Save your nice for the kid screaming for poptarts.

"Shoes off or stay on the porch". Adults can choose the option that works for them without hurt feelings...

You can do it
Meeko 03:24 PM 01-30-2014
No shoes.

I have a no shoes sign outside and several in the entry!

I also tell the kids to tell their parents that no shoes are allowed in the house. It's fun to hear a child tell off their parent if they try and step on my carpet!

I make licensing and food program people take off their shes too.
preschoolteacher 05:07 PM 01-30-2014
No shoes!

I live in a snowy, snowy, SNOWY state where shoes track in muck 9 months out of the year. Here, shoes off is definitely the norm in most people's homes. Honestly, I would never keep my shoes on in anybody's house ever.

I actually have parents who won't step a toe from my front entryway mat now that there is snow on the ground. They are worried about tracking in muck. I have told them before, "Don't worry about getting a little snow on the floor!" It's wood. It will mop clean.

Today at pick-up time, all 5 families picked up at once. You should have seen how crowded it was in that entryway. I told them they could step in a little bit, but no one did!!
BrooklynM 06:11 PM 01-30-2014
I allow shoes except in the playroom itself, since it is all foam tiles. The rest of the house is hardwood and tile so I don't worry and there is no snow here at all so I don't have to worry about that. Plus, I grew up in a house where I wasn't allowed to wear shoes or go barefoot, socks only and when my dad vacuumed he told me not to mess up the lines it made on the carpet. All of my life I swore I would never have a no shoe policy, lol.

I wear shoes all day myself, most days because when I don't, my back really starts hurting.
Play Care 03:06 AM 01-31-2014
Parents never come in past my foyer when dropping off or picking up. When they have come in for various events, they have all taken off their shoes. If they have a hard time heading *direct* requests, is there anyway you can gate off an area and have that be the designated "drop off" spot? "My carpets are taking a beating since people won't remove shoes, so this is the new drop off/pick up procedure."
Maria2013 05:20 AM 01-31-2014
I'm talking about parents.
We are a no shoe in the house family and I have a sign on my entrance door to daycare to please remove shoes. I have asked parents multiple times to please not wear shoes and include it in my quarterly newsletter EVERY time yet I have 2 consistent offenders.

thoughts....
I don't wear shoes and I don't allow kids with shoes, most parents choose to remove theirs and those that don't, really just stay by the door so no big deal
Crazy8 06:05 AM 01-31-2014
for the no shoes people…. do you all have carpeting? I have thought of going no shoes (except for me, I always wear shoes, hate not having them on) but I have wood laminate floors and they are too slippery for just socks and hate how the bottom of socks get dirty even just after floors were cleaned!! Would need to switch to slippers or something.
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
for the no shoes people…. do you all have carpeting? I have thought of going no shoes (except for me, I always wear shoes, hate not having them on) but I have wood laminate floors and they are too slippery for just socks and hate how the bottom of socks get dirty even just after floors were cleaned!! Would need to switch to slippers or something.
I have carpet at daycare but at my home I have all tile and hardwood floors.
I go barefoot or wear socks. Our floors are heated.
mia 07:50 AM 01-31-2014
No shoes as well.....

I had one client do this all the time... I finally reminded her not to wear them into the daycare area ( into part of house then down carpeted stairs to the daycare ).
She of course did not listen.. so I posted this note on my parent board

" NOTICE
JUST A REMINDER THAT WITH THE COLD AND FLU SEASON UPON US.

I ASK THAT ALL MY CLIENTS USE THE HAND SANITIZER THAT IS LOCATED ON TOP OF THE CUBBIES, BEFORE AND AFTER ENTERING. THIS WILL HELP CUT BACK ON THE SPREAD OF GERMS THAT MAY BE GOING AROUND.

I ALSO ASK THAT YOU REMOVE YOUR BOOTS, SHOES, AS WELL AS ALL OF YOUR CHILD'S OUTER WEAR BEFORE COMING DOWN TO THE DAYCARE AREA. FOR THIS WILL HELP TO ENSURE THAT THE CENTER STAYS CLEANER AND SAFER FOR YOUR LITTLE ONES AT PLAY.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING "

Since I posted all clients have been removing shoes, boots, child's outer wear. Mind you I don't believe that they are using the hand sanitizer. At least my floors and carpet in the house is cleaner......

The daycare children ( only 2 of them ) wear slippers ( 1 of them ) wears indoor shoes (she's 1 ) so I allow her for now till she gets better at walking...then it's slipper time for her.....
KDC 08:03 AM 01-31-2014
I had the SAME issue. I sent an e-mail with bullet points of my pet peeves to better communicate instead of meekly asking. It seemed ridiculous asking grown adults to remove their shoes before walking on carpet. but...

Parents, please remove footwear before stepping in carpeted areas. My son sat on the carpet to play a game and had to change his pants due to wetness, which shouldn't happen. Also, babies crawl on the floor and it's gross, so DON'T DO IT!

It did the trick!! Good luck!
SSWonders 08:15 AM 01-31-2014
Nope. No shoes on anyone whether they live here or not.
Maria2013 09:04 AM 01-31-2014
I have carpet everywhere except in the eating room
Play Care 09:12 AM 01-31-2014
We have carpet in the family room and formal living room (the formal living room is the dc room - thank goodness or it would be a wasted space otherwise ) our foyer and dining room is hard wood. Living in a cold weather climate most people take off shoes when they are visiting your home. And of course in another month it will be "mud" season... It's also not unusual for guests to wear boots that come off at the door and put on another pair of shoes/slippers for to wear in the house. My dcp's don't go past the throw rug I the foyer, and I can see it being a pain to do daily for quick drop offs and picks ups.
daycarediva 09:45 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
You could get the shoe cover things. Maybe have a few pairs in a basket by the door. They wouldnt have to be replaced very often.
I can see how it could be annoying to have to take my shoes off for 5 minutes to drop my kids off and then have to put them back on, especially if they dont slip right on.

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Skid-Safe...ds=shoe+covers
This was my solution at my old house/setup. They had to walk down a long hallway to get to the daycare area (back formal sitting room of our old home). The cubbies were by the front door, so they would get the kids all undone, and then shoe cover if it was more convenient, and then walk them to the play room if they wanted. Worked great, never had a complaint.

Originally Posted by Meeko:
No shoes.

I have a no shoes sign outside and several in the entry!

I also tell the kids to tell their parents that no shoes are allowed in the house. It's fun to hear a child tell off their parent if they try and step on my carpet!

I make licensing and food program people take off their shes too.
Tattle tale 3 year olds are AWESOME sometimes! My one 3.5yo dcb announces it- to no one in particular- every time somebody breaks a rule.

"C'S MOM IS WEARING SHOES IN THE HOUSE!"

Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
No shoes!

I live in a snowy, snowy, SNOWY state where shoes track in muck 9 months out of the year. Here, shoes off is definitely the norm in most people's homes. Honestly, I would never keep my shoes on in anybody's house ever.

I actually have parents who won't step a toe from my front entryway mat now that there is snow on the ground. They are worried about tracking in muck. I have told them before, "Don't worry about getting a little snow on the floor!" It's wood. It will mop clean.

Today at pick-up time, all 5 families picked up at once. You should have seen how crowded it was in that entryway. I told them they could step in a little bit, but no one did!!
This is ONE THING they have only had to be asked not to do once. I've never had anyone question it. I also have a small entry and this has happened. funny.
Jack Sprat 11:43 AM 01-31-2014
We are no shoes here as well. I made slippers for the kids to wear and put silicon dots on the bottom for traction. Parents usually kick off their shoes, or stand on rug right by the door. I have carpet in our living room and the rest is tile or wood.

I'm putting a sign on the door this weekend to notify parents to take off their snow covered shoes. I want something that rhymes and is catchy. For those who may be a bit dense.
Tags:backbone, disrespectful parents, enforcing policies - consistency, shoes - inside, shoes inside
Reply Up