Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Before and after school questions
jokalima 08:10 AM 07-28-2014
I've never done it. Got a call and because I need the income I said yes. What things do you do in before school care? The rate changes for the school closing a whole week and having the child here that week, would it be the regular fee? Same for a full day?

Thanks
Meeko 08:44 AM 07-28-2014
I didn't have any before and after school age kids this past school year, but a couple of my kids will be going to KG in the fall. I also expect to keep them after that too.

My rate doesn't change for school age kids. I know that parents can often find cheaper care, but I don't do part-time at all. One space. One price. Regardless of attendance or hours.

My schoolies have always been kids that have been with me since they were tiny. Their parents are used to paying the same amount every single week and don't want to look for other care. They still drop off their kids in the morning and pick up in the evening.....what happens in between they don't really think about.
KSDC 10:00 AM 07-28-2014
I do before/after SA. I only do this for children that aged out of my normal program. I don't take new children for this. I charge a weekly fee based on the hours that they contract for.

It works for me because I have some teacher's kids that leave me right after school. So, teacher's kids leave as SA arrive. My state allows me to be a couple over right after school to cover this.

When there is no school, the SA kiddos pay the full-time rate for the day(s).
daycarediva 10:03 AM 07-28-2014
I charge 1/2 my weekly rate for before and after SA $87.50-regardless of hours used.

On breaks, days off, summer, they are full rate.
Second Home 10:05 AM 07-28-2014
I charge one rate for S/A kids $50 a week . That puts them on the bus in the am and gets them off in the PM . They are here for 1 hour before and 1 hour after the bus .

If there is no school they must check to see if I have room and then pay for the drop in spot . I charge 30 per day for drop in ,so they would owe an additional $20 for the drop in spot to make up the difference between B/a and drop in .

Also I require a written note for any drop in days where the is no school ( days on the school calendar where you now in advance school is closed), if they do not show then they still owe for the spot . I have lost $$ because someone says they will be here then has someone who will watch the child for free and I can not fill the spot on short notice .

I would rather not do before and after school care but if those are the only clients then I will take them . It is easy to fill the 1 hour with something to do , breakfast or snacks then play games color or outside in the afternoon .
MsLisa 10:13 AM 07-28-2014
My first clients {and so far only } was for Before & After School Care.
Her son was in the same school as my daughter but a year younger. He was dropped off at 7am, we had breakfast and watched educational programs on Netflix until it was time to leave at 8:15. Although sometimes they would just run off & play, depending on how groggy everyone is. lol. We'd also talk about what we wanted to do after school.
I would then pick them up at 3:15 & depending on the day we would either do fun stuff at home, go outside or go out to the parks. I wasn't required to help with homework but it was offered.
Half days we would go on a field trip somewhere. His parents often gave me money before hand if needed.
No school days his parents usually kept him home.

I only charged $65 a week. Mind you, it was my 1st ever client and I did it more for the experience. This year I plan on charging $85/week. Its not a lot of work really & not as strict or stressful as a full on daycare. I enjoyed it.
Annalee 10:26 AM 07-28-2014
I charge the same as my ft slots so that usually means I don't have school kids, but every once in a while I get some that will pay that full price and that is the ONLY way I would keep school kids.
jokalima 01:32 AM 07-30-2014
I was a bit stressed thinking that she would ask about what we would do during that tim... she never asked, she was here for less than 7 minutes probably and ask very little questions, then said it seemed like a good fit. I know it's only before and after but I thought patents would be a bit more interested in this, I would.
MsLisa 08:13 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by jokalima:
I was a bit stressed thinking that she would ask about what we would do during that tim... she never asked, she was here for less than 7 minutes probably and ask very little questions, then said it seemed like a good fit. I know it's only before and after but I thought patents would be a bit more interested in this, I would.
That's exactly how my B&A School Care mom was!
She met me at a book store to get to know each other. She dropped him off at my house that Monday & left. I insisted on giving her a tour but she really wasn't interested. In those 6 months the most we spoke was 5 minutes a day when she picked him up or text if we went somewhere/she's late.

Its basically keeping their child happy and safe for those very few hours. Most people in my area use grandparents for it. There aren't many after care programs & school buses are scary these days. Its the best alternative.

So...If they have homework, help. If not, give them a snack and some fun activities. Take them to the park. Save big trips for half-days.
Its really REALLY easy. I personally can't wait to start back up.
Reply Up