Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Arriving 10 Minutes Earlier Than Scheduled??
pinkcrayonz 07:42 AM 03-17-2011
I live in a relativly small town and I always seem to have parents that need to come earlier and earlier each day.... my open time is 750 am which is ample time for parents to drop off and arrive at work... Ive timed it .... I have it in my policy my door is unlocked at 750 am....but for years there always seems to be one parent that doesnt "get" that.... 734 am this morning i had kids on my door stop.............. door is locked so they rinng door bell ....my front door opens to my livin room, so ignoring it and continuing on with my morning is not really possible......
I just need any suggestions as to how to phrase not to come any earlier than you supposed to , every thing i want to saywhen i say it outloud, to me comes out rude. thanks
laundrymom 08:20 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by pinkcrayonz:
I live in a relativly small town and I always seem to have parents that need to come earlier and earlier each day.... my open time is 750 am which is ample time for parents to drop off and arrive at work... Ive timed it .... I have it in my policy my door is unlocked at 750 am....but for years there always seems to be one parent that doesnt "get" that.... 734 am this morning i had kids on my door stop.............. door is locked so they rinng door bell ....my front door opens to my livin room, so ignoring it and continuing on with my morning is not really possible......
I just need any suggestions as to how to phrase not to come any earlier than you supposed to , every thing i want to saywhen i say it outloud, to me comes out rude. thanks
Wrap yourself in a blanket up to your neck go to the door, crack it say, I'm dressing, I'll be right back. LOCK DOOR Go, stay gone until opening time at which you answer saying, you were 10 minutes early, I am never ready for kids until 750. Good thing it wasn't raining huh??
DCMomOf3 08:21 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Wrap yourself in a blanket up to your neck go to the door, crack it say, I'm dressing, I'll be right back. LOCK DOOR Go, stay gone until opening time at which you answer saying, you were 10 minutes early, I am never ready for kids until 750. Good thing it wasn't raining huh??
that is an idea.

Welcome to the forum!
TBird 08:31 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
BWAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I'd just tweak it a little so that poor baby girl/boy isn't standing out in the cold with silly mom. Stop mom dead inside the living room and tell her that she has to STAY there with him until you put your iron & ironing board away (which you will put up from now on until this problem is solved) because you are NEVER ready for kids until drop off time at 7:50 a.m. Then DISAPPEAR with your iron and ironing board until 7:50 a.m. or until makeup is applied....or whichever comes first. GUARANTEED she won't come another morning just to stand in your living room until you get ready!!!

I mean these are ideas if you don't like confrontation. I'd just tell her that I'm not ready for kids now....this is why I don't open until 7:50.
daycare 08:43 AM 03-17-2011
I wish i had laundry mom's backbone.

I am the letter queen.... If it happened even once I would send out an email reminding everyone about my policy Highlighting the Early drop off /LATE FEE that will apply for those that break the rule.

I let it slide once and if it happens again, I hit them with the fee..

The only time that I did have to send the letter out, a few families came to me and asked for a copy of their contract which states their agreed hours of care.
Mrs.Ky 08:50 AM 03-17-2011
I just flat out dont answer the door till my CELL says 7:30am they can knock all they want too I did this a few months back to one of my dcp she never came again before 7:30am
daycare 08:54 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
I just flat out dont answer the door till my CELL says 7:30am they can knock all they want too I did this a few months back to one of my dcp she never came again before 7:30am
I wish I could do this. My house is up at 5am daily. My first kid comes at 6am and is never the early one. I also have older kids that are getting ready early in the morning and they are the ones who often open the door.

Boy do I wish I could do that....lol
Little People 08:54 AM 03-17-2011
Make a sign that says:

DayCare Opens at 7:50 a.m, DO NOT ring bell till 7:50!!
Meyou 08:58 AM 03-17-2011
I've had one family try to pull the early arrival with me. The first time I was pleasant enough since I thought they would only show up 15 minutes early if it was an emergency.

The second time I opened the door and apologized profusely for losing track of time and not having my door open at 7:30 for them and keeping them waiting on my doorstep. As Dad stood there going..."uh, uh...I dont think its 7:30 yet" doing the fake check the watch look and turned bright red. lol I then apologized to him for not being clear enough with my opening time and did he have any other questions about my business hours that I failed to cover properly? Never.late.again. In fact he will wait in the car out front until 7:32 or 7:33 to bring them in.
missnikki 08:58 AM 03-17-2011
Do you have a hubby that would answer in his skivvies?
daycare 09:01 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
lmao hes never home but that would be a treat for whoever was at my front door. lmao all of my DCM think my husband is so hot... I want them to be punished not rewarded.....lol
texascare 09:03 AM 03-17-2011
Get an open/closed sign and put it up on the door. I think you can print a cute one off at Daycarelady.com.....
TBird 09:06 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I wish i had laundry mom's backbone.

I am the letter queen.... If it happened even once I would send out an email reminding everyone about my policy Highlighting the Early drop off /LATE FEE that will apply for those that break the rule.

I let it slide once and if it happens again, I hit them with the fee..

The only time that I did have to send the letter out, a few families came to me and asked for a copy of their contract which states their agreed hours of care.
Why did they ask for a copy of their contract....did they seriously not know what your business hours are???
pinkcrayonz 09:23 AM 03-17-2011
Thankyou!!!! Ilove the ideas, I have made a sign and will post it... althoughI may ask my husband if he is" willing" to answer door one in am ,lol,you guys have given me back my backbone thankyou
daycare 09:24 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Why did they ask for a copy of their contract....did they seriously not know what your business hours are???
belive it or not they could not recall their contracted times. I have both mom and dads that pick up and drop off and half the time the dads dont know what is going on.
TBird 09:29 AM 03-17-2011
belive it or not they could not recall their contracted times. I have both mom and dads that pick up and drop off and half the time the dads dont know what is going on.
Oh...the dads...nuff said. LOL!!!
nannyde 09:33 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:

Boxers or briefs?
daycare 09:34 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Boxers or briefs?
lmao............i cant stop laughing......ahhahaha
TBird 09:47 AM 03-17-2011
Just another side note (then I'll shut up 'cause I'm probably talking too much)....

The ironing board thing really happened to me, that's why I mentioned it. A mom came one morning (she wasn't early but I had no clue they were coming) and my ironing board was still up....the iron was blazing HOT and her little one is a "runner" so I was scared to death!!! She had to stay until I got the thing completely put away...I wasn't taking any chances.

Just goes to show that it's a safety issue if you're not completely ready to be open for business. Ok, shutting up now....
SandeeAR 09:51 AM 03-17-2011
Maybe you should post a sign on the door with the each of the kids and their contracted hours. That way parents couldn't say they "didn't know".
daycare 09:53 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Just another side note (then I'll shut up 'cause I'm probably talking too much)....

The ironing board thing really happened to me, that's why I mentioned it. A mom came one morning (she wasn't early but I had no clue they were coming) and my ironing board was still up....the iron was blazing HOT and her little one is a "runner" so I was scared to death!!! She had to stay until I got the thing completely put away...I wasn't taking any chances.

Just goes to show that it's a safety issue if you're not completely ready to be open for business. Ok, shutting up now....
lol i LOVE reading your post and responses...talk on... makes my day fly by...

We are cutting paper, glue cotton balls and using tweezers at the art table right now...Gets old watching them so talking to eveyone here is fun...
kidkair 11:36 AM 03-17-2011
When I was having a problem with a parent coming just a few minutes early I put a clock set to the same second as my cell right outside the door. I never said a word about it. I just made sure I was in the kitchen 5 minutes prior to opening so he wouldn't see me until I came to open the door. After I put up the clock he learned to walk from the bus stop a little slower so I'd be open.
Lucy 11:41 AM 03-17-2011
Sounds like our houses are set up differently, but I am able to keep the living room lights off and still be getting ready for my day. They can ring the bell all they want. If it's cold they can get back in their heated car. If they have the nerve to say they've been waiting 10 minutes, I look at the clock and ask a rhetorical "oh, am I late?" When we both see on the clock that I'm not, I say "I guess I didn't hear the bell. I was brushing my teeth. My start time is X" In 17 yrs I haven't really had this problem much, but one mom started doing it not too long ago, and this method cured it after about 3 times. I had to do the puzzled look at the clock just once. The other two times SHE actually said, "oh, guess I'm a bit early". After having to wait outside until my opening time these 3 times, she quit coming early. She learned that it wasn't going to make me open the door just because she was ringing my bell early.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 03-17-2011
My parents all use a punch-in and punch-out style time clock. They punch the time card upon arrival and if it reads anywhere prior to the opening/contracted time of arrival, I add $1 per minute for early drop off.

Amazing how "on time" people can be when money is involved.
I have one dad who would come in 15 minutes early and not punch his card til after he said his goodbyes and all and tried to save himself a few minutes....now if they do not immediately reach for their time card, I do it and hand it to them....
AfterSchoolMom 11:52 AM 03-17-2011
I totally agree with LittlePeople. Make the sign, post it on the front door, and DON'T ANSWER the door until your opening time, no matter what. If it's truly and "emergency" then they should have called you before arriving early.
daycare 12:47 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My parents all use a punch-in and punch-out style time clock. They punch the time card upon arrival and if it reads anywhere prior to the opening/contracted time of arrival, I add $1 per minute for early drop off.

Amazing how "on time" people can be when money is involved.
I have one dad who would come in 15 minutes early and not punch his card til after he said his goodbyes and all and tried to save himself a few minutes....now if they do not immediately reach for their time card, I do it and hand it to them....
fantastic... where did you get the time clock at? i would love me one of them...lol
Cat Herder 12:50 PM 03-17-2011
I simply cut off outdoor lighting after my kids get on the bus.

No lights, no entry......
AfterSchoolMom 01:16 PM 03-17-2011
Oh, here's another idea...put duct tape over the doorbell!
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 03-17-2011
fantastic... where did you get the time clock at? i would love me one of them...lol
e-bay. Best $50 bucks I ever spent. Had all the same problems everyone else has until I got a time clock.

Since I do not live at my daycare house, people seem to think because I am there, I am open and I can't do the lights off on the porch because ours is automatic dusk to dawn so when I get there a light is on so I can see the door lock etc in the wee hours of the morning.

I sometimes come up to 1 hour earlier than first kid is scheduled so I can clean, put groceries awa, have a cup of coffee or prepare stuff for the day. One of my families can sense when I get there because they would show up EVERY time I came early...(sometimes think they are lurking down the block until I drive by ) and I couldn't stand it any more so I started charging for early drop off as if it was late pickup.

But then I had a family who would mark down 2:00 when it was really 2:25 when they picked up and I got tired of them fudging hours (they are limited by assistance program to a certain number of hours per day) so I got the time clock. No problems since I started charging and got the clock.
Cat Herder 02:45 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Oh, here's another idea...put duct tape over the doorbell!
Mines been broken for almost 12 years.....

Maybe I should look into getting it fixed.......
momatheart 02:56 PM 03-17-2011
I would disconnect the doorbell and post a sign.

Hey go out early and be jogging up to your house and then tell them you will shower and be available to open at 7:50. LOL Or arrive with tons of groceries and tell them you have to put these all away and will be ready to open at 7:50

If I get to work early and there are people in the parking lot I WILL NOT open early I let them stand outside. I DO NOT care what the weather is doing.
And believe me I have gotten my Karma on that one when I get to a store early before they open,

Early drop offs and late pick ups are ONE of my pet peeves. Or would that be TWO of my pet peeves?
Unregistered 04:13 PM 03-17-2011
When I still had "Stalker Dad" here, I ended up having to put a BIG sign on the door both with the hours and with an "OPEN/CLOSED" part ...I wouldn't flip the sign to OPEN until it was 7:00 a.m. exactly and I kept the door locked and no lights on in the front rooms...for overkill, I put a cheap clock OUTSIDE right beside the door so no one could say they didn't know what time it was...LOL!

He was the WORST for trying to show up early but then stayed on and on and on to "chat"...grrrr....
happykidschildcare 07:10 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
Make a sign that says:

DayCare Opens at 7:50 a.m, DO NOT ring bell till 7:50!!
thats what I would do, along with not answering my door until I open
happykidschildcare 07:13 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
e-bay. Best $50 bucks I ever spent. Had all the same problems everyone else has until I got a time clock.

Since I do not live at my daycare house, people seem to think because I am there, I am open and I can't do the lights off on the porch because ours is automatic dusk to dawn so when I get there a light is on so I can see the door lock etc in the wee hours of the morning.

I sometimes come up to 1 hour earlier than first kid is scheduled so I can clean, put groceries awa, have a cup of coffee or prepare stuff for the day. One of my families can sense when I get there because they would show up EVERY time I came early...(sometimes think they are lurking down the block until I drive by ) and I couldn't stand it any more so I started charging for early drop off as if it was late pickup.

But then I had a family who would mark down 2:00 when it was really 2:25 when they picked up and I got tired of them fudging hours (they are limited by assistance program to a certain number of hours per day) so I got the time clock. No problems since I started charging and got the clock.
time clock? have a link so I can check that out?
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
time clock? have a link so I can check that out?
This is the one I got:
http://acedepot.com/timex-t100.html

....off of E-bay for $50 and it included 500 time cards and 2 extra print ribbons. I looked around to see how readily available the time cards and ribbon cartridges were and my local office supply store carries them so...I am only saddened that I didn't find this earlier in my career!
Tags:early arrival
Reply Up