Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Close Down! I'm Feeling Guilty!
JustMe 04:33 PM 01-10-2013
I have been considering closing down for a while due to multiple reasons. I just don't like sharing my home with my business, for one. Also I am going to have a baby in a month or so. Also one of my parents drives me nuts. Well today, my other family told me that they were thinking of leaving, so I mentioned that I was thinking of closing, and that solidified both of our decisions. That mom is very nice and easy to talk to, and she hadn't wanted to leave because she didn't want to leave me with less income, but financially it didn't make sense for her to keep working. No hard feelings either way.

Now I have the other family to contend with. They are acquaintances of ours. I have actually posted about them before because the mom is a very controlling person. I know this news is not going to go over well at all, and I dread telling them. How much notice should I give? Should I tell her on a Friday? Is it okay to send a message through facebook (this is how we usually communicate when not talking face to face)? I just really dread her reaction, and she keeps saying how stressed she is lately too. And, on top of all of that, she just gave me a nice Christmas gift so I feel guilty. And I will continue to see her quite a bit so..... I don't know. It's going to be so awkward!
Michael 04:35 PM 01-10-2013
Here are a couple threads with closing notices that may be helpful: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+sample+letter
JustMe 04:48 PM 01-10-2013
Thanks! There are some good ideas there!
daycare 05:05 PM 01-10-2013
perhaps you can just find a reasonable real excuse...'

Like you are PG and not feeling well and feel it is for the best to close.....

Or

The other family is leaving and I really can't afford to operate with only one family here. I decided that it will be best to close...

It's not like you are saying I don't like you so I am closing....lol
bunnyslippers 04:54 AM 01-11-2013
I am struggling with this, too. I am closing in June, at the end of the school year. I haven't told any of the families, b/c I need their income until then and I am afraid they will leave early.

I have had all of these families for years, and know that they will be shocked and probably a little bit mad. Our children are all friends, they work in my son's school, our husbands are friendly...just tough all around.

I think they will be mad when they find out I waited to tell them, b/c we are prettyt involved in one another's worlds, but I know if I tell them it may lead to other problems. I am waiting until after April vacation...but I am nervous ALL the time!
JustMe 05:57 AM 01-11-2013
I probably will end up using a real excuse, but it's still going to make them mad... and like bunnyslippers, I just dread it. Our older kids are friends too. I know I can't be responsible for their reaction and I just need to do what is best for our family, but it's so tough to give other people bad news...

On a related note, acquiring a backbone would be a very good thing should I ever decide to do daycare again.
Heidi 06:08 AM 01-11-2013
Ok, if there is one thing I've learned over all these years (ok...I may have learned a few more), is NEVER feel guilty.

I love my dck's, love my families, always have, with few exceptions. But, I can tell you without a doubt, that if any one of them decided to make a change in their life (moving, quitting job, divorcing, etc), not one would think "Wow, how will this affect my dcp?"

We are providing a service. A very personal, special service, but a service none-the-less. If you decide to no longer provide the service, you should do exactly what your policy manual says and get over the guilt! Please!

You can do it kindly, you can give them a list of other dcp's or the referal agency, but that's it.
JustMe 06:42 AM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Ok, if there is one thing I've learned over all these years (ok...I may have learned a few more), is NEVER feel guilty.

I love my dck's, love my families, always have, with few exceptions. But, I can tell you without a doubt, that if any one of them decided to make a change in their life (moving, quitting job, divorcing, etc), not one would think "Wow, how will this affect my dcp?"

We are providing a service. A very personal, special service, but a service none-the-less. If you decide to no longer provide the service, you should do exactly what your policy manual says and get over the guilt! Please!

You can do it kindly, you can give them a list of other dcp's or the referal agency, but that's it.
Thank for this response, I needed to hear that! Very good point about them not considering their daycare in their life plans, I had not thought about it like that.
JustMe 04:37 PM 01-11-2013
I did it! Thanks for the help and suggestions! I did it face-to-face. I am so relieved!
Starburst 08:54 PM 01-11-2013
If the other reasons you have are too personal you can just say you are closing down to have the baby and that you are not sure if you will open after the baby is born, or that you want to focus on your baby for now and that you are willing (if you are) to help refer them to other providers or put in a good recommendation for them. but other than that you need to do what is best for you and your family.
Tags:close daycare - sample letter, closing daycare, closing daycare - how to
Reply Up