Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>When to Start Counting Hours?
Boymom 02:11 PM 03-30-2016
If I started my daycare at the end of June 2015, can I count all the hours when I researched daycare tables, crafts, making my contract, daily schedule, etc? I spent an enormous amount of time, of course, starting up my daycare and I don't want to lose all of those hours
TomCopeland 02:36 PM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
If I started my daycare at the end of June 2015, can I count all the hours when I researched daycare tables, crafts, making my contract, daily schedule, etc? I spent an enormous amount of time, of course, starting up my daycare and I don't want to lose all of those hours
Let's say you started working on these activities on March 1st. If you count hours starting in March you'll have to divide them by the total number of hours in the year from March - December. Then you can deduct house expenses from March - December. If you start counting hours as of the end of June, you would divide them by the number of hours in the year from the end of June to December. Then you would deduct house expenses from the end of June - December. I think you'll be better off using the second method. It will give you a higher time-space % and you can use this higher percent for non-house expenses.
Boymom 02:49 PM 03-30-2016
Thank you for such a fast response! So if I calculated the hours from June 29th (first daycare kid) to December 31st, but I bought things in May and started working on my contract also in May, would I have to change my start date to May in MMK? And if I change it to May, could I write off Rent, utilities starting in May, or do I start that at the end of June when I started watching my first daycare kid? Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm understanding! :-)
TomCopeland 07:03 AM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Thank you for such a fast response! So if I calculated the hours from June 29th (first daycare kid) to December 31st, but I bought things in May and started working on my contract also in May, would I have to change my start date to May in MMK? And if I change it to May, could I write off Rent, utilities starting in May, or do I start that at the end of June when I started watching my first daycare kid? Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm understanding! :-)
If you started counting hours on June 29th you can still deduct expenses not associated with the house before that date. If you started counting hours in May you could start counting house expenses as of that date and could count any non house expenses before and after that date.
Boymom 07:11 AM 03-31-2016
Thank you very much, Tom!
Tags:deduction - hours, tom copeland
Reply Up