Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With An Infant That..
DancingQueen 06:41 AM 05-16-2011
is only happy when held or being rocked.
Swing doesn't work. But car seat works as long as I keep moving it.
The minute I stop she screams.

I wear her when I can but she doesn't love the sling either.

The biggest problem is that she is exhausted constantly but startles with the slightest noises. She HATES noise.
You can see how that might be a problem for her being in a daycare.

This is the same infant that wasn't taking a bottle very well. She will take it for me now but the minute some noise comes up she pulls away from the bottle and screams for five minutes then calms and takes it again.
She sleeps fine then a noise and she startles and cries til I rock the seat again.

I knwo everyone has their own way of dealing with it and I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions so that I can come up with a plan that will work here for me.
Live and Learn 06:46 AM 05-16-2011
How old is she?
DancingQueen 06:50 AM 05-16-2011
3.5 months
laundrymom 06:56 AM 05-16-2011
Please tell me she is not sleeping in a car seat, swing, bouncer, or anywhere other than a crib or pnp with no blankets, pillows or toys

http://www.sids.org/

Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
is only happy when held or being rocked.
Swing doesn't work. But car seat works as long as I keep moving it.
The minute I stop she screams.

I wear her when I can but she doesn't love the sling either.

The biggest problem is that she is exhausted constantly but startles with the slightest noises. She HATES noise.
You can see how that might be a problem for her being in a daycare.

This is the same infant that wasn't taking a bottle very well. She will take it for me now but the minute some noise comes up she pulls away from the bottle and screams for five minutes then calms and takes it again.
She sleeps fine then a noise and she startles and cries til I rock the seat again.

I knwo everyone has their own way of dealing with it and I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions so that I can come up with a plan that will work here for me.

laundrymom 06:57 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Please tell me she is not sleeping in a car seat, swing, bouncer, or anywhere other than a crib or pnp with no blankets, pillows or toys

http://www.sids.org/
I'm sorry if I seem a bit OCD about this but my niece died of SIDS. It's personal to me.
AfterSchoolMom 06:58 AM 05-16-2011
Is she startling awake? Have you tried swaddling her?

Earlier in the year I had an infant very like this. I swaddled her and she slept right beside a large fan (pointed in the other direction, of course). It was loud, but the "white noise" usually kept her asleep for a very long time - she slept longer here than she did at home. She also wanted to be rocked, but as long as I used the fan, it wasn't necessary.
DancingQueen 07:04 AM 05-16-2011
I've tried swaddling - not working.

She is in a carseat in front of me sleeping at the moment. This is at mom's request. Mom would rather she not lie down in a pnp yet. Mom's best friend apparently had her newborn baby die at daycare. The final reasoning was SIDS She was lying on her back in pnp and rolled over. This is incredibly an recent incident which is why mom is a wreck about it. She just went back to work 1 1/2 weeks ago.

(I should add that I lost a niece and a nephew to SIDS - I am incredibly OCD about it - which is why this infant isn't more than an arms reach from me at every moment - it is why I choose to not let her CIO and it is why I choose to wear her as much as I do)
DancingQueen 07:05 AM 05-16-2011
It is almost as if she just isn't reaching that solid state of sleep. But basically if she isn't moving she's screaming.
SilverSabre25 07:08 AM 05-16-2011
Have you ever read "Happiest Baby on the Block"?

It sounds like she might benefit from some of the tips in that book.

Does she take a pacifier?

White noise really, really might help her get asleep/stay asleep.

Was she a preemie?
DancingQueen 07:13 AM 05-16-2011
I haven't read the book. But I'll check it out.

She won't take a pacifier (and remember is just barely taking a bottle - she's got to be pretty worked up to accept it).

she was not a preemie.

She just startles easily and it really upsets her. Regardless of wether she is awake or asleep or taking a bottle or anything else.
Qpmomma 07:33 AM 05-16-2011
Is she breastfed at home? If so, you may want to try other ways of feeding.

My baby (breastfed) was colicky. Daycare would put her in a vibrating bouncy seat and rock her with thier foot when feeding or takong care of the other babies. We also swaddled and did paci (which is probally why we had such a hard time breastfeeding in the beginning). Keep moving her. I know it's a pain, but that's the only thing that helped my baby.
laundrymom 07:37 AM 05-16-2011
My condolences to all of you. SIDS is such an ugly monster. I urge you to talk to mom about having baby in pnp or crib in arm reach of you instead of car seat. Sleeping in car seat is a risk factor for SIDS. I know the raw emotion involved in this subject. I hate very few things in life, SIDS is one. I am a passionate advocate for SIDS education and prevention. My attitude comes off mean sometimes but I promise I'm being abrupt out of concern, not spite.
MG&Lsmom 08:06 AM 05-16-2011
I wish I had some advice for you. that is exactly how the baby I started with last fall was. She startled awake at every little change in sound, temp, movement, etc. She was on formula and took a bottle just fine. But she never adjusted to group care and I termed her after 2 months. I won't Is she an only? Does she sleep in silence at home?
Cat Herder 08:08 AM 05-16-2011
I am a SIDS Mom...this child should not be sleeping in a carseat.

Please have the mom talk to her pediatrician asap.

Please check with your State as you could be held liable by allowing it in your home.

Tough situation, I know, but no need to make it worse.

Good luck, hun.
Meeko 08:26 AM 05-16-2011
Licensing here requires a baby be removed from a car seat as soon as they arrive...even if they are sound asleep.

My own youngest is 14 years old now...but had such bad reflux as an infant the doc TOLD me to have her sleep in her car seat. It helped a lot. I guess things change! My boys are in their late 20's and were always put down to sleep on their tummy's!!!!

I
snowborden1 08:33 AM 05-16-2011
I had one like that and white noise is all that helped. He still sleeps with the fan on at nap time and is 2 now.
nannyde 08:37 AM 05-16-2011
We aren't allowed to use anything but a firm surface lying them flat on their back for sleep.

The parents can't give permission to do the wrong thing.

If this baby is going to sleep upright in a seat we would be required to get a Dr's. note saying that the child must. I don't think too many docs would want to be on the hook for that.

Once a baby can flip there really isn't much I can do to stop it. I've tried flipping them back and never had it work. Every kid I have ever had flips back in a nanosecond. You can't be in the business of repeatedly putting them back over and over. It's not realistic in this setting and it can be hard on their back, neck, head to be put back on their back repeatedly minute to minute.

If this Mom wants this baby's minute to minute be upright then she needs to do that herself. Asking someone else to make that happen is asking someone to do the wrong thing.

She needs to get real because soon enough that baby will be flipping over in her bed at night while all the adults are snooozing away. How is going to manage having her upright then?
DancingQueen 09:19 AM 05-16-2011
Times clearly have changed and I will read up on the latest and share with mom. I do appreciate your input. just 5 years ago my doc encouraged me to allow my daughter to sleep in a swing at night. And when I did my research then I really found nothing in regards to SIDS so Is this a new developement? And clearly if it is a risk then it won't be happening any longer in my home.

But while I research that - can we go back to the original question.
What about wake time. etc. I mean.. again - if she isn't moving - she's crying. Any suggestions for wake time?

Also - if you go out somewhere and baby is in her car seat.. and she falls asleep. Do you take her out and put her down in pnp?

This happens daily when we bring my dd to preschool - baby falls asleep on teh drive
we come back here for nap time and she is sound asleep in the carseat.
DancingQueen 09:22 AM 05-16-2011
I just checked my regulations and there isn't anything at all regarding sleeping except that they have to have 2 exits and a smoke detector while sleeping.

I'm not saying this is allowing me permission - because I'm not looking for it. If it is a risk - it won't be happening - i just wanted to see what my state had for nap time rules.
nannyde 09:30 AM 05-16-2011
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...ositioning.pdf
Cat Herder 09:33 AM 05-16-2011
What about wake time. etc. I mean.. again - if she isn't moving - she's crying. Any suggestions for wake time?
I use a sleep sheep with my preemies who have an exaggerated startle response. It has a Velcro loop to attach it to her pnp.

They have been FANTASTIC!!!

http://www.sleepsheepandfriends.com/sheep.html

another helpful link:
http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3138&q=390660
nannyde 09:35 AM 05-16-2011
Times clearly have changed and I will read up on the latest and share with mom. I do appreciate your input. just 5 years ago my doc encouraged me to allow my daughter to sleep in a swing at night. And when I did my research then I really found nothing in regards to SIDS so Is this a new developement? And clearly if it is a risk then it won't be happening any longer in my home.

Also - if you go out somewhere and baby is in her car seat.. and she falls asleep. Do you take her out and put her down in pnp?

This happens daily when we bring my dd to preschool - baby falls asleep on teh drive
I don't allow car seats in the house but yes... no sleeping in any equipment here but a firm mattress on their back.
MG&Lsmom 09:41 AM 05-16-2011

Can you transfer her the pnp without waking her? I'm assuming no. I would not allow her to sleep in the carseat anymore. I'll see if I can find the link to the research that was passed around last fall.

Have you allowed her to scream a bit to see if she calms down while awake? This is where the DCPs of my termed baby and I came to blows and eventual termination. They didn't want her to cry at all, however I was also not allowed to hold her all day. Tell me how that works? So I had to entertain her all day while awake. So for her it wasn't always movement, but I had to be in her face interacting with her 100% of her awake time or she'd scream. There were just times I couldn't do that and she'd just have to cry. Other people needed feeding, diaper changes, hugs, etc.
laundrymom 09:56 AM 05-16-2011
New research yes, when kids arrive here sleeping in car seat I take them out immediately and transfer to bed. The only place they sleep here is in their bed. I would carefully and compassionately talk to mom " I am sorry mom, i know you are scared, i know you are absolutely terrified, but i cannot nap her in a seat new data has shown an increased risk of sids for infants sleeping anywhere except a firm flat surface it is hard for me to talk to you about this but i have to do everything in my power to provide the safest environment i can for these kids. I know the pack and play scares you but it the safest place for her. Why dont we go ahead and put a plan in place to give her the best tools we know of to keep her safe? First, safe sleep environment, no bumpers, blankets or toys, a good tight fitting sheet and a cooler sleep environment. 61-66 degrees is optimal. A baby who is too warm, has a higher risk for SIDS. Use a sleep sack if needed but no blanket second, lots of tummy time while awake, yhat will strengthen her muscles and lets get her turning over . Once a child can roll over it cuts the sids risk dramatically. I know it's scary but I must follow the latest research and guidelines. I hope you understand. "

I don't even have a swing here. It's too much of a crutch for me, personally. I would be tempted to use it too much. I would personally provide her with a full tummy, dry dipe and safe sleep area, and begin the teaching of self soothing. The startle reflex is a GOOD thing. Babies who startle easy have a lower risk of SIDS. Research is hard because for every bit of data a life has ended. It's an unfair research process because data is gathered from grieving families, it's such an ugly reality. Please rethink the seat. If you want pm me I'll call you, I'll find you and mom training and support. I'll do anything. If it saves one child, I'll do it. Sending love.....

youretooloud 09:57 AM 05-16-2011
What other kinds of carriers do you have besides the sling? What position is she in, in the sling? Does she hate it all? Or just certain positions?

I've found that a babywrap helps because you can put her in so many positions that there's bound to be one she likes. It takes longer to put on, but if it gives you both peace and quiet it's worth it.

What do the parents do at home? How does she sleep with them?

I know you don't want to put her in another room, but is there a quiet dark room for her to sleep in? Maybe if she gets a few good solid sleeps in, she'll feel better. I know I can't miss out on sleep and be happy the next day.

I would think that swaddling or one of those armless swaddling straight jacket things. (can't remember the name) Would cut down on the startle response. If she startles, and her arms can move, she wakes up.. but, if she can't move, she's only waking partially and can fall back asleep.
MG&Lsmom 10:00 AM 05-16-2011
Found one. This specifically talks about premature infants but there was also a study done on fullterm and otherwise healthy babies that I can't find.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...110/2/401.full
laundrymom 10:01 AM 05-16-2011
As for teaching self soothing, let her fuss. Give her love, let her fuss, over and over. She will fall asleep eventually. Crying does not increase SIDS risk. Let her fuss a bit if you know she is dry fed and sleepy. It may take days but you will be doing her a favor, self soothing will last her entire life.
laundrymom 10:02 AM 05-16-2011
I have to add, if mom fights you on the safe sleep position, I would terminate care the liability is too great.
DancingQueen 10:08 AM 05-16-2011
Can you tell this is my first daycare baby?

I've had 4 children of my own. All four of them had me terrified of SIDS. I never let them CIO, I wore them all the time, I co-slept, I bf way beyond the recommended time, never allowed them near smoke or people that have smoked and have smoke on their clothes..
and the list goes on and on.

So this being my first dc baby I am feeling all of those same things. Letting her cry is really hard for me.. although it IS getting a little easier. When another child needs my attention I just have to let her fuss a bit. She just doesn't stop though - she gets so incredibly worked up. Breaks my heart.
laundrymom 10:15 AM 05-16-2011
Can you tell this is my first daycare baby?

I've had 4 children of my own. All four of them had me terrified of SIDS. I never let them CIO, I wore them all the time, I co-slept, I bf way beyond the recommended time, never allowed them near smoke or people that have smoked and have smoke on their clothes..
and the list goes on and on.

So this being my first dc baby I am feeling all of those same things. Letting her cry is really hard for me.. although it IS getting a little easier. When another child needs my attention I just have to let her fuss a bit. She just doesn't stop though - she gets so incredibly worked up. Breaks my heart.
I was the same way, at my safe sleep training, a statement was made, a crying baby is a living baby.

SIDS is very scary because no matter how careful you are, it still happens. It is an evil reality that makes no sense. But hopefully learning, preparing, doing all we know to do will be enough. I am thinking of you.....
DancingQueen 10:22 AM 05-16-2011
I did my senior thesis in high school on SIDS. It was a few months after my niece had died. She was 8 weeks old.

I was in 7th grade when my nephew died and he was 10 weeks old.

I always tell people that no one should ever have to see a coffin that small.

I don't beleive anything has had more of an impact on my entire life than the site of those 2 coffins. It literally was the deciding factor on how I planned to parent. (which I might add was INCREDIBLY different than anyone I knew or anything I grew up with. Breastfeeding was unheard of in my family and co-sleeping was absolutely the worst parenting choice one could make. I won NO popularity contests. And here I am almost 17 years later making an amateur mistake like this. I always preach to everyone to stay up to date on the research. I don't know how I could have let this tid bit slip.
CdnMumof4 10:32 AM 05-16-2011
poor baby..so young to be in daycare :-(

Lots of snuggles, try a fan in her room [obviously not aimed at her, but for the noise] or even a white noise machine- to prevent waking with slight noise.

sounds like she just needs her mama, that's a tough one. I say wear her when you can, feed her in a quiet room if/when you can, don't rock her to sleep but rock her and calm her, and then start the 'sleep training' while at your home. rocking her to sleep is only settig yourself up for more struggles as she gets older.

good luck mama!!!
Cat Herder 11:02 AM 05-16-2011
I know I would have given anything to have a Maternity system like Canadas....

Unfortunately ALL my DCK's start at 6-8 weeks, CdnMum0f4.

It is the norm.
youretooloud 11:14 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

It is the norm.
I've had kids start at less than two weeks old.
Qpmomma 12:00 PM 05-16-2011
Just a few months ago my pedi told me to have my baby sleep in her carseat when she had a cold to drain the fluid. And what about when theysleep in the car for car rides?? I drive an hour one way to get to work and my baby takes her naps then. What should I do? Pull over and wake her up? Truth is, you can do everything "right" and stil have a baby die of it. In fact, some experts tell you to have the baby sleep in thier own bed yo prevent it and some tell you the best thing is co-sleeping. No one knows what causes SIDS.
nannyde 12:24 PM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Qpmomma:
Just a few months ago my pedi told me to have my baby sleep in her carseat when she had a cold to drain the fluid. And what about when theysleep in the car for car rides?? I drive an hour one way to get to work and my baby takes her naps then. What should I do? Pull over and wake her up? Truth is, you can do everything "right" and stil have a baby die of it. In fact, some experts tell you to have the baby sleep in thier own bed yo prevent it and some tell you the best thing is co-sleeping. No one knows what causes SIDS.
I wouldn't have a baby sleep in a seat sitting up for a cold to drain the fluid.

If a baby sleeps in a car then of course you are not going to wake them up. I don't know of a case where a baby has died of sids during a car ride. It's not really sids we are talking about anyway... it's positional asphyxia.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...hlight=jutting

We DO know about things that increase a baby's liklihood of dying during sleep. That's where the back to sleep campaign began. It's saved many infant lives.

We do the best with what we know.
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

It is the norm.
OT, but Catherder you'd be out of business in Czech. I have a mom from there and she said the government pays you to stay home with your child for up to 3 full years! This applies to mom AND dad or a combination of both. There are no childcare there and your employer cannot fire you or dissolve your job.

It is sad that the most industrialized nation in the world has the poorest maternity (paternity) leave plan.

I've taken them in past years at 6 weeks and once when I first open, got special permission to take an infant (of a family member) at 4 days old!!

Now I try to limit the age to a minimum of 12 months.
Cat Herder 01:15 PM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OT, but Catherder you'd be out of business in Czech. I have a mom from there and she said the government pays you to stay home with your child for up to 3 full years! This applies to mom AND dad or a combination of both. There are no childcare there and your employer cannot fire you or dissolve your job.

It is sad that the most industrialized nation in the world has the poorest maternity (paternity) leave plan.
I would so LOVE to be put out of business by parents being able to be with their kids!!!

I cannot imagine how my life would have been if I did not have to work for the first three years of my childrens lives. That is like a dream world of glitter and unicorns IMHO....

I am creative enough to find another way to make an income but I will never get that lost time with my babies back.
laundrymom 02:48 PM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Qpmomma:
They are actually coming very close to figuring it out. and the vibration from the car keep them arroused enough while car is in motion to help reduce sids. Its when they are sitting, still in a seat, inclined. That is not recommended. Back to sleep, every nap, every nighttime, back to sleep is the safest place for them. Ive not heard of an expert in sids research say cosleeping in the same bed is useful for reducing sids. But Id like to read the research. They do recommend if you must co sleep, to do it in a co room, not a co bed. infants sleeping IN an adult bed raises the risk for sids signifigantly. I plead with everyone to educate themselves on the latest research, keep informed, find local trainings, educate everyone you can. The best defense against sids is prevention.
Cat Herder 03:15 PM 05-16-2011
Thank You Laundrymom.

It wears me out mentally talking about SIDS. I am glad you are here.
sahm2three 04:03 PM 05-16-2011
No idea because I have a 1 year old like that and a 5 month old too. It has been a rough day. I will have to take time to read the responses for this. I hope there is something to help us both!
jen2651 04:28 PM 05-16-2011
Please do check your sleeping regs. In MN babies must be in a pac and play or crib (to be changing soon). If they fall asleep in the swing, carseat etc, you need to place them in their designated space. The ONLY thing a parent can sign off on is you are able to place them on their tummies...not in a carseat etc. If a baby has reflux, you need to put a wedge under their mattress. If they need the vibration, you need to set your pac adn play on top of the vibrating chair...

SIDS is a horrible thing. I can't but help wonder how many of the lives saved are due to back sleeping or just becoming more knowledgeable on different things such as smoking, smoking in the house, better food for baby and mama etc? Not trying to dispute the significant drop in SIDS rates....just curious.
DaisyMamma 04:45 PM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I've had kids start at less than two weeks old.
Oh my, don't parents want to enjoy their infants?
that's just wrong. those will be the same parents who drop their kids off for 12 hours even when they have the day off
Cat Herder 04:55 PM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
SIDS is a horrible thing. I can't but help wonder how many of the lives saved are due to back sleeping or just becoming more knowledgeable on different things such as smoking, smoking in the house, better food for baby and mama etc? Not trying to dispute the significant drop in SIDS rates....just curious.
It is multiple things, like you said, Jen. Along with temperature regulation, mammalian dive reflex, toys and bedding in the crib, positional asphyxia, prenatal care, smoking near infants, etc, etc, etc...

My kids were part of the actual "Back to Sleep" study after I lost my first son to SIDS at 6 months old, breastfed, full-term, non-smoke environment and able to roll independantly....

They were also on apnea-bradycardia monitors for their fist 12 months to further collect data. Blood tests, sleep studies, heat studies, sudden loud noise studies etc...it was long, time consuming and tedious.

The difference in how we put babies to sleep is in the fact that we are caring for someone Else's child...not our own.

I know my former provider still drops things in the grocery store if she sees me walk through the door 21 years later. I have witnessed her walk into a door trying to hide from me at the movies. She almost miscarried her own child during the investigation. Her marriage did not survive it. That is just not something I'd ever wish on any of you.

Go by the book so you can sleep at night if it happens in your daycare, that is the point I want to convey. YKWIM?
laundrymom 08:54 AM 05-17-2011
Cat,.... Sending you love.
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
Please do check your sleeping regs. In MN babies must be in a pac and play or crib (to be changing soon). If they fall asleep in the swing, carseat etc, you need to place them in their designated space. The ONLY thing a parent can sign off on is you are able to place them on their tummies...not in a carseat etc. If a baby has reflux, you need to put a wedge under their mattress. If they need the vibration, you need to set your pac adn play on top of the vibrating chair...

In MN infants and babies cannot use a pack and play if the sides are mesh. I have yet to see a PNP that does not have mesh sides personally.

Subp. 9.Infant and newborn sleeping space.There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.

(Infants are defined as children from birth to age 12 months in MN.)
DancingQueen 09:46 AM 05-17-2011
http://www.parenting.com/article/ask...-a-sids-danger
DancingQueen 09:49 AM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by :
Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.
I'd love to see what they consider a suitable sleeping pnp for an infant
youretooloud 10:08 AM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
that's just wrong. those will be the same parents who drop their kids off for 12 hours even when they have the day off

Well, some mothers have no choice. One boy came to me because his Dad refused to work, and refused to pay child support, and refused to babysit their kids. So, Mom being self employed had to work. She was a process server for lawyers. She left the hospital alone, in her own car, and on her way home from the hospital, she made two stops for her boss. Her newborn was in my care a few days later. He slept constantly for the first two months anyway.

Then the other one was the start of the gulf war. Her husband was a fighter pilot and for some reason the families weren't getting checks back home. So, mom had to go back to work right away.
youretooloud 10:10 AM 05-17-2011

I have portable cribs, PLUS PNPs, and those portable cribs aren't very portable at all.
SilverSabre25 10:13 AM 05-17-2011
duh...the babies aren't supposed to sleep at daycare! They're supposed to be awake all day long, being taught with the best curriculum materials (that include 30 minute daily science lessons!), so that they go home and sleep all night for their parents and then are magically able to get into the poshest private preschool at age 3--you know, the one that has a tuition that rivals that of Harvard! Gosh, isn't it obvious?!

Can you hear (well, read) the sarcasm?

(I'm still trying to figure out why mesh is dangerous )
DancingQueen 10:30 AM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by :
Originally Posted by lymemomma View Post
As hard as it is to leave our babies when we really have no choice - I just can't imagine how I would have responded if someone were to have insinuated that I didn't want to enjoy my child.
unfortunately not everyone has a choice (I didn't way back when). parents do the best they can - so they do their best to find providers that are as fantastic as some people on here in hopes that they are (at the very least) giving them someone who will love and care for them in the hours that they have no choice but to be absent.
Tags:constant attention, holding, holding baby, needy
Reply Up