Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Do You Buy Your Books?
sahm1225 01:13 PM 11-15-2013
My search function isn't working for some reason so sorry if this had been asked before.

I usually get them at thrift stores, garage sales or hand me downs.

I'm curious where everyone else gets their books from?

Thanks!
Cat Herder 01:16 PM 11-15-2013
Scholastic Book Clubs for the Daycare.

Amazon for my family.
momofsix 01:18 PM 11-15-2013
Same as you-sometimes I can find a ton, sometimes they're all junk. Just keeps me coming back to keep looking! I also buy old books from the library, they always have used books for sale here.
I've taken to taking a lot of books out on loan from the library too. I'll look up what we're studying on amazon and get good book recommendations and then I'll put them on hold at our library. I can get a whole slew of books on whatever unit we're studying!
CedarCreek 01:21 PM 11-15-2013
Half price book store!
daycare 01:23 PM 11-15-2013
first choice is yard sales..... I have bought $100.00 books for .25$

Then I would say scholastic, but I am not crazy about the quality

Then amazon, I have amazon prime, so I don't pay shipping. Amazon prime rocks, especially if you use it for TV too...
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 11-15-2013
Scholastic.
Unregistered 02:32 PM 11-15-2013
Our library has a sale ever Saturday .25 cents a book.
blandino 02:33 PM 11-15-2013
Up until I read about Scholastic on the forums, I was buying them at Target, and paying 10.00-20.00 a book. I now use Scholastic or Amazon - and I save a ton of money.

I buy board books for the book corner, from the Target 1.00 section. Since they are out to play with for toddlers and preschoolers, they don't last long. So I prefer to buy the inexpensive ones and replace them often.
KidGrind 02:49 PM 11-15-2013
Yard sales

Amazon

Barnes and Noble
Laurel 04:47 PM 11-15-2013
Yard sales, thift shops, some are given to me, buy some various places like
Amazon or Barnes and Noble, dollar store, etc.

Can someone answer a question about Scholastic? I tried their book clubs one time but I found them to be such a huge hassle. Because of my age group I had to get two of the clubs (ex. Fireflys and ? forget the other names). Then I was supposed to sell them to parents which I don't like doing. Then it seems like each month they had deals but the deals were always different. To me it was such a hassle. Can't you just buy them outright? I would like to be able to go online, pick some out and purchase them just like I would do at Barnes and Noble online. Can I?

I haven't checked in a long time. Maybe that is possible now?

Thanks, Laurel
Josiegirl 05:07 AM 11-16-2013
Mostly yard sales unless I see something special at thrift stores, etc. I will order Elephant and Piggie books off amazon, just because they're our favs right now.
It's terribly difficult to pay full price when sometimes the dcks can destroy them in 30 seconds.
Lavender 05:40 AM 11-16-2013
Thrift stores, Amazon (esp. used books on Amazon), sometimes Scholastic but they don't have as much for me since I have babies.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:37 AM 11-16-2013
Library book sales, thrift stores, tag sales, Amazon (used). You've heard all those already. So here's my best tip: paperbackswap.com. You post books you don't want anymore (don't have to be paperback) and people request them. You mail out a book and pay shipping (my accountant says you can write off the shipping as you would the price of a book) and then you get a point. You can use that point to request a free book from someone else. So basically, the books cost the price of shipping.
Josiegirl 08:07 AM 11-16-2013
I do Paperbackswap also. And when you sign up and post 10 books, I believe you get 1 free credit to use. Correct me if I'm wrong Nothingwithoutjoy. Most of the time the books come to you in really good shape. Once in awhile you get something you wouldn't have even paid .25 for at a yard sale. And with the cost of postage at around 2.50 or so a book you want to make sure you're getting a book you really want. For example, I've been building my collection of 'Journey Around....' so I put them on my wishlist there and have patiently gotten a few. I also got a nice 'signing with children' book there. It is a good option. They also have sister sites, swapping DVDs and CDs.
sleepinghart 09:05 AM 11-16-2013
-Scholastic(the Book Fairs at our local schools of course and the school's fundraisers too)

-Amazon.com(..can get them new or used for very reasonable prices)

-Borders/Ingles

-Just many, many numerous different places

~These are just a few of the places I get my books from- not at all a complete list by far. ....Just a couple of the most recent and most frequented places I've bought from lately .
nothingwithoutjoy 09:50 AM 11-16-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I do Paperbackswap also. And when you sign up and post 10 books, I believe you get 1 free credit to use. Correct me if I'm wrong Nothingwithoutjoy. Most of the time the books come to you in really good shape. Once in awhile you get something you wouldn't have even paid .25 for at a yard sale. And with the cost of postage at around 2.50 or so a book you want to make sure you're getting a book you really want.
Yes, I agree. Overall, I think it's worth it. I've learned to be careful to check the publisher--I don't want Scholastic books anymore; crummy quality.
Maria2013 09:51 AM 11-16-2013
all my books come from donations
e.j. 09:06 PM 11-16-2013
Scholastic Books warehouse sales
Donations from dc families, friends and relatives
Library book sales
Amazon
If I see something I have to have and/or there is a good enough sale, I also buy at retail stores like Target, Barnes & Noble, BJ's, Sam's Club, etc.
Starburst 09:11 PM 11-19-2013
I've gotten some good ones (classics) at my local Good Will
Play Care 03:00 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Yard sales, thift shops, some are given to me, buy some various places like
Amazon or Barnes and Noble, dollar store, etc.

Can someone answer a question about Scholastic? I tried their book clubs one time but I found them to be such a huge hassle. Because of my age group I had to get two of the clubs (ex. Fireflys and ? forget the other names). Then I was supposed to sell them to parents which I don't like doing. Then it seems like each month they had deals but the deals were always different. To me it was such a hassle. Can't you just buy them outright? I would like to be able to go online, pick some out and purchase them just like I would do at Barnes and Noble online. Can I?

I haven't checked in a long time. Maybe that is possible now?

Thanks, Laurel
I did Scholastic for a couple of years. I found that after a couple of years the books were the same - so people who had ordered quite a bit at first no longer did as they had all the books. Also when I had kids with siblings in school, parents always ordered from the school, not me.
The quality - occasionally I get a good book from them, and I put it up to be used on special occasions. They are not books that can be left on the low shelf (IME)
I found the ordering to be problematic - unless you get $20 in orders (not likely in a small in home dc) you could only order through the mail (IIRC?) otherwise they slapped on a huge fee.
I did call to get the catalogues again just to see what they had and if it was worth trying to start it up again. I wasn't that impressed.
Laurel 04:44 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I did Scholastic for a couple of years. I found that after a couple of years the books were the same - so people who had ordered quite a bit at first no longer did as they had all the books. Also when I had kids with siblings in school, parents always ordered from the school, not me.
The quality - occasionally I get a good book from them, and I put it up to be used on special occasions. They are not books that can be left on the low shelf (IME)
I found the ordering to be problematic - unless you get $20 in orders (not likely in a small in home dc) you could only order through the mail (IIRC?) otherwise they slapped on a huge fee.
I did call to get the catalogues again just to see what they had and if it was worth trying to start it up again. I wasn't that impressed.
Thanks!

It was a hassle because if you ordered such and such then you get a free book or got points or something. Then you add the points or whatever but if you just bought one more book you could save shipping and if you give up your first born to them then you get even more bonus points and either use them now or save them. Then I'd get it down and the next month the offers had changed with new incentives. But, but, I just learned last months!

Laurel (or I could just be dumb)
Lianne 05:03 AM 11-20-2013
Kids books - dollar store, thrift stores, mom2mom sales local buy & sell groups on FB, garage sales.

Adult books - I don't buy them. I use the library. I hate spending money on a book I'll read once and then give away. I don't have space in my home to house my own books. I can justify buying kids books because they are used over and over for years
Crazy8 06:12 AM 11-20-2013
I only buy board books now... I have a large collection of "real" books and my kids usually leave by age 3-3.5 so no independent reading goes on here. I find the board books that are out for the kids are the ones that get ruined so those are the ones I have to replace/add to. I do garage sales, the dollar store and Target's dollar spot sometimes has some. Books are sooo expensive at retail!
Tags:books - how did you get them
Reply Up