Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Calling Parents To Pick Up Infant
HappyEverAfter 12:49 PM 09-13-2017
Ugh, ok so I just had to call a parent to come pick up their baby for the first time ever. He woke up screaming at 10:15 and stayed that way without stopping for even a second. I tried gripe water and Tylenol to no avail. Tried changinghim, feeding him, tried the swing, tried walking around, sang to him, you name it, I tried it. Checked his temp and it was 99.1 about an hour after giving Tylenol. Finally messaged the parents at noon, explained how he was feeling and the dad came to get him an hour and a half later. By the time dad got there he had cried himself to sleep in my arms. They are super overprotective parents typically so I felt like they would want to know he was so miserable but now I'm wondering if it makes me look as if I can't handle caring for him. Was there something more I should've done or was it ok to call for a pick up? How do you all handle an inconsolable infant? I'm fairly new to all this so I'm just second guessing myself.
Ariana 12:56 PM 09-13-2017
You did way more than I would have done. Inconsolable child means pickup in my contract. I never give Tylenol unless the fever is so high I am worried about a seizure.

You did nothing wrong!!!
Michael 01:02 PM 09-13-2017
Could be the start of colic.
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 09-13-2017
Look up Purple Crying

http://purplecrying.info/
LysesKids 02:13 PM 09-13-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Look up Purple Crying

http://purplecrying.info/
I had a parent berate me when I mentioned this... they thought I had to be doing something to their child for the babe to be crying so much - I will not tolerate being accused of something I know I didn't do; I ended up terming and then I got a call a few months later stating child did the same @ the new provider. I haven't been an infant provider for years for no reason
HappyEverAfter 04:10 PM 09-13-2017
Thanks for the reassurance and also for the info on purple crying. I'd not heard of this but it does seem to somewhat fit with his behaviors today. He also just started teething and has been fussy in the past due to digestive issues but this was literally nonstop screaming for more than an hour. Usually even if he's been screaming, I can get him intermittently calmed down until eventually he totally calms down but he wasn't calming down even a little bit today. It was to the point that the other 2 kids I watch were crying too. I'm curious to see what his mom will say tomorrow when she drops him off. Dad didn't seem bothered that I'd called.
e.j. 06:09 PM 09-13-2017
Originally Posted by Starrygirl:
Checked his temp and it was 99.1 about an hour after giving Tylenol.
My sick policy states that kids have to be fever free for at least 24 hours before they will be allowed back into care. The fact that he had a temp of 99.1 after being given Tylenol makes me wonder how high his temp would have been without medication, especially given his behavior. Personally, I would have told the parents to keep me updated but that they would have to keep him home tomorrow.
Mom2Two 06:19 PM 09-13-2017
Wow, seems like Tylenol works after about 30 minutes, so yeah, I wonder what it would have been like without it.

I too would never give meds like that. I won't even give them with a parent note. If a child needs meds they need to be caring for the child themselves.

How old is the child?
HappyEverAfter 07:50 PM 09-13-2017
He is 3.5 months old. The pediatrician approved him having 1.25ml of Tylenol every 4hrs as needed for teething. I don't mind administering a dose on occasion so long as the parent approves and provides it. He is with me 10-11 hrs a day, Monday-Friday and this is only the 3rd time he's had to have Tylenol.
daycare 08:23 PM 09-13-2017
being that its an infant and their own way to communicate, I would have sent home as well too.

I think the only thing that I would not have done was to give the child they meds. I don't do meds, but everyone does things differently.

I have rule about unsettled children that after 45 minutes we cant get them to settle we will call to pick up.

I also have in my policy that one child's needs cannot jeopardize the care of others. in your case I would have used both of these as a reason to send the infant home.

hope that you are feeling ok, I know how hard it is to listen to crying.
HappyEverAfter 06:30 AM 09-14-2017
So DCM dropped off DCB this morning. She wasn't upset that I sent him home. Apparently DCD (who picked him up) said he stayed fussy for quite some time. Didn't calm down fully until DCM got home from work that evening and even then wasn't totally calm. She says it was likely a combination of teething pain and constipation pain. DCB does have digestive issues so the constipation would be a reasonable guess. She informed me it had been 2 days since he pooped at home. He'd only gone once while in my care and it was a very small amount the day before. I had no idea he hadn't been going at home. She said he finally was able to poop around 7 last night and then went to sleep almost immediately afterward and slept for 6 hours straight. Said he would've slept even longer but she woke him up so she could give him a bath. Personally, after the day he had I would've skipped the bath and let him sleep until he woke up, but whatever. He seems good this morning. Played a little and then went to sleep at his normal nap time with no fussing. Fingers crossed that he makes it through the whole day without a repeat performance of yesterday!
Mom2Two 03:19 PM 09-14-2017
Constipation! Poor kid!
Max 08:19 AM 09-15-2017
Constipation is no joke.. when my son was 3 he was in so much pain from it, he was crying non stop on the toilet yelling "the poop won't come out!"

Funny now, lol, not at the time. Ok maybe a little...
Tags:colic, infant - crying
Reply Up