Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Allow Cough Drops in Your Daycare Center?
gfrack 07:56 AM 02-26-2019
Just wondering what other centers do. Seems like a choking hazard to me.

Thanks for your input
Snowmom 08:06 AM 02-26-2019
For a child, no.

For an employee (or me), yes. But they would need to be kept locked up/out of reach.
Cat Herder 08:09 AM 02-26-2019
No.

It is a medication and must be labeled with the childs name, prescribing physician, dosage and timing instructions, signed by parents, treatment effect/side effect documentation with forms to be kept on record for two years. Just too much drama for OTC's.

I just make them some warm honey tea.

The sad thing is it is the same for "medicated" chapstick. Stick to the strawberry flavor lipbalm, label it and keep it in their own cubby and you are all good.
DaveA 09:00 AM 02-26-2019
Nope. It's too much of a headache because it's counted as a medicine.
Jupadia 09:13 AM 02-26-2019
No, cough drops are medication. As well they dont recomend cough syrup for the under 6 crowd (at least in Canada). My own kids I have made honey tea for (after age 1), and it has helped.
I dont let kids come in on cough syrup (or drops) because 1) it's not recomend 2) can mask symptoms 3) its medication

I would take one myself but of course not leave it near the daycare space
Josiegirl 09:58 AM 02-26-2019
Choking hazard IMO. I don't care what age, unless it's the adults.
hwichlaz 12:15 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No.

It is a medication and must be labeled with the childs name, prescribing physician, dosage and timing instructions, signed by parents, treatment effect/side effect documentation with forms to be kept on record for two years. Just too much drama for OTC's.

I just make them some warm honey tea.

The sad thing is it is the same for "medicated" chapstick. Stick to the strawberry flavor lipbalm, label it and keep it in their own cubby and you are all good.
not allowed to serve tea here :P

I allow them as long as they are the fruit pectin variety, and on a lollipop stick. I make them stay at the counter on a chair with them. So not actual cough drops with suppressant in them, but a lozenge.
Cat Herder 12:35 PM 02-26-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
not allowed to serve tea here :P
There are no leaves in it . Children's cough and sore throat tea.

I make a similar one with stewed/strained prunes and a bit of brown sugar for constipation. I am old school. I think it may simply make them feel special and pampered more than it works, but who really knows.

I love the sugar free safety suckers, though. They make breathing treatments go much more smoothly.
hwichlaz 08:52 PM 02-27-2019
There are no leaves in it . Children's cough and sore throat tea.
  • Juice one lemon.
  • Bring the water to a boil.
  • Mix the honey and lemon juice into the hot water until the honey dissolves.
  • Pour into a mug and enjoy.

I make a similar one with stewed/strained prunes and a bit of brown sugar for constipation. I am old school. I think it may simply make them feel special and pampered more than it works, but who really knows.

I love the sugar free safety suckers, though. They make breathing treatments go much more smoothly.
No flavored water. Tea is flavored water.

It's stupid, I know. But it's the California Healthy Beverages Act of 2012
Cat Herder 04:34 AM 02-28-2019
No flavored water. Tea is flavored water.

It's stupid, I know. But it's the California Healthy Beverages Act of 2012
Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks

We had a version of that but in training, they really only applied it to flavored milk and kool-aid type drinks. It lasted less than two years when parents in public school went through the roof. It seems chocolate milk in school is a human right. Ok, exaggerated, but if we had seen that kind of parent response to end school bullying and get drug dealers off campus, we may actually be making some headway by now.
Hunni Bee 10:06 AM 02-28-2019

We had a version of that but in training, they really only applied it to flavored milk and kool-aid type drinks. It lasted less than two years when parents in public school went through the roof. It seems chocolate milk in school is a human right. Ok, exaggerated, but if we had seen that kind of parent response to end school bullying and get drug dealers off campus, we may actually be making some headway by now.
My more tenured coworkers told me that at my school, the parents once demanded that we serve more "fun foods" so every couple weeks, they had Papa John's pizza brought in. This was in the mid-2000s and QRIS probably faint if we did such a thing now, and I imagine it got right expensive. But really?
CeriBear 11:48 AM 03-03-2019
Not for the children.

Employees can have them if they are kept locked up and out of kids reach.
hwichlaz 03:35 PM 03-03-2019

It only applies to child care.
Cat Herder 04:22 AM 03-04-2019
It only applies to child care.
That sounds tough. Sorry.

We are regulated under the DOE so have the same rules as public schools, now. The guidelines were a good bit different when we were under the DHR. Some changed for the better, some for the worst. You know how that goes.
Tags:cough drops, medication - policy
Reply Up