Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts
284878 08:59 AM 02-10-2020
I have a new DCB 14 months that comes 730-330. GMA is paying for care because she works from home and GMA said DCB gets held to sleep. So if I have trouble with getting him asleep to call her for pickup around two. Would you call?

I am thinking that I am going to suggest a before nap schedule and GMA can just nap him at home then go back to work. Would you suggest this?
Cat Herder 09:15 AM 02-10-2020
Does Gma have custody? What is her goal for putting him in care?
284878 09:40 AM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Does Gma have custody? What is her goal for putting him in care?

GMA is the DC for DCB but also works at home. She worked with DCM to find dc so she could get some work done in the morning, since DCB has gotten very active. DCM is married and in trade school with a broken foot. So right now GMA is doing all the pick ups and drop off.
Cat Herder 10:02 AM 02-10-2020
Has he napped with you, yet? Is he disruptive?

IME, "Gma care" part-time/short time kids become full-time/all day by 18-24 months. I'd start planning for how I intend to go forward.
rosieteddy 10:09 AM 02-10-2020
Nope I would not call for 2pm pickup. That would be so disruptive to your day. I at most would want him picked up at 12:45 1 at latest.Do you offer half days?Once you start making concessions others start to want "special"treatment as well.
Ariana 11:32 AM 02-10-2020
I would wean him off needing to be held. That will help everyone long term including the child. Clear it with grandma first of course. Picking up in the middle of the day would not work for me.
284878 12:38 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Has he napped with you, yet? Is he disruptive?

IME, "Gma care" part-time/short time kids become full-time/all day by 18-24 months. I'd start planning for how I intend to go forward.
Today was his second day. He is not disruptive. GMA was saying it more out of love. She didn't want me to deal with him if he wouldn't nap.

All my kids are pt and GMA care when not here.

Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Nope I would not call for 2pm pickup. That would be so disruptive to your day. I at most would want him picked up at 12:45 1 at latest.Do you offer half days?Once you start making concessions others start to want "special"treatment as well.
You probably have a reason why you call it special care, I am not sure how it is. I allow scheduled nap time pick ups, this would just be me calling GMA if he didn't sleep by two vs her picking up at three.

I was having an issue with using gma as a rescue line.

Yes I offer all pt care, I don't offer ft care or care on Fridays.

I was wondering if I should just recommend half days so GMA and DCM wouldn't worry so much.

Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would wean him off needing to be held. That will help everyone long term including the child. Clear it with grandma first of course. Picking up in the middle of the day would not work for me.
I did talk to GMA, she knows that she is at fault as much as mom and dad. This was her solution to help with the day. He gets picked up after nap either way.

Today he had blankie from GMA and he slept. They picked up already, he was happier when he woke today. I still have dck napping when he left, none of them woke.
rosieteddy 01:46 PM 02-10-2020
I wasn't sure you offered half days.My program was set up that if a child was leaving early they had to pick up before nap.I did discourage that ,that is what I meant by "special".
284878 02:50 PM 02-10-2020
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I wasn't sure you offered half days.My program was set up that if a child was leaving early they had to pick up before nap.I did discourage that ,that is what I meant by "special".
Okay that makes sense, I knew you had a reason.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 02-11-2020
I wouldn't entertain any child that wasn't able to sleep without being held to sleep.

Like a previous poster said, offer half day care that doesn't require nap participation that way, their bad habits won;'t effect you or your daily routine.

If they want to work into full days, it's a good time for THE PARENT to start teaching the child how to fall asleep without being held.

I think it's awfully selfish of the parent to train their child to sleep that way and then give the issue to someone else to manage (and even that person is needing to pass the issue off onto others.)

Seems it would be in child's best interests for parent to do whats right for CHILD verse what's easiest. But what do I know...
Tags:crib to cot, preparing children, transitioning to 1 nap a day
Reply Up