Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>YOUR Definition Of Full/Part Time
SilverSabre25 07:28 AM 03-16-2011
How do YOU define full time care or part time care? As in, where is the line between full and part time? I'm writing a new part into my handbook.
Zoe 07:29 AM 03-16-2011
It used to be 3 days or less and I would charge a daily rate. That got me in trouble and I hated not making enough money. So now I have a fixed rate for full-time (125/week/kid). Part time is 3 days or less, but they are still charged a fixed weekly rate of 90/week. This kinda encourages them to do full-time.
SilverSabre25 07:32 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
It used to be 3 days or less and I would charge a daily rate. That got me in trouble and I hated not making enough money. So now I have a fixed rate for full-time (125/week/kid). Part time is 3 days or less, but they are still charged a fixed weekly rate of 90/week. This kinda encourages them to do full-time.
Do you ever have anyone argue about the number of hours--like, "but I'm only using you for three hours a day, shouldn't that be part time?"
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 03-16-2011
For me full time is 4 days a week or more for a fixed rate of $150 per week. and part time is 2-3 days a week for $100 per week. Anything less than 2 days a week is considered drop in which I charge $40 for.

I used to do half and full days but had too many wanting the half day that ran right across lunch and left no options for filling the unsed part of the day so now if you are here for even an hour the whole day is yours.
jen 07:38 AM 03-16-2011
3 days is part time, doesn't matter if they are here for an hour or for 10 hours. Four or more days is considered full time.
Zoe 07:39 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For me full time is 4 days a week or more for a fixed rate of $150 per week. and part time is 2-3 days a week for $100 per week. Anything less than 2 days a week is considered drop in which I charge $40 for.

I used to do half and full days but had too many wanting the half day that ran right across lunch and left no options for filling the unsed part of the day so now if you are here for even an hour the whole day is yours.
Yes, this exactly. If they only need me for a couple of hours, then it's kinda hard to find someone to "fill" the spot for the rest of the hours. It's a weekly rate. I'm aimed for people who need a full day. That way I have a set schedule and it isn't interrupted at meal times or nap times. This is MY situation, but I'm sure there are others who do it differently.
Symphony 07:42 AM 03-16-2011
My FT/PT line is whether or not the child crosses the noon hour. So you can be here 7-12 or 12-5 and be part time, but if you are here from 11-1 it is full. This is because I define part time as two full time spots. If the schedule only allows for half of that spot to be filled, than it is considered FT.

I also do it for variable schedules. For example, I have a family where mom works everyday, and dad works 3 on and 3 off. So dcb is here just on dad's work days, but it changes every week. So they are a full time spot because I cannot advertise the other days. I tell them if they can bring me a client with the opposite schedule, I will gladly switch them to PT.
mac60 07:44 AM 03-16-2011
I have a 3 day minimum. So I guess that is my part time.
TBird 07:44 AM 03-16-2011
FULL TIME: I consider it for SOLID parents that work M-F at least 6 to 8 hours per day. I charge a Flat Fee so I suggest parents make good use of the 10 hours per day that I provide. Otherwise, they may feel "slighted" because I'm charging them for a full day/week REGARDLESS.

PART TIME: At least 3 full days per week (I don't think it's worth doing much less...the kids don't get acclimated). Again, if they don't use the full day they are being charged the Flat Fee REGARDLESS.
Meyou 07:46 AM 03-16-2011
Fulltime is 4 or 5 days a week with a schedule that never changes. I charge a flat fee per day.

Partime is 3-5 days a week with a schedule that changes either with which days per week are needed or what hours per day are needed. Minimum charge per week is 3 full days regardless of attendance or $90. I also do half days for part timers which is either 730am to 1230pm or 1230pm to 530pm for $18/day.
krystamichelle 07:48 AM 03-16-2011
I don't do part time, but in my contract, I have it written as less than 32 hours. If it goes less than that, I just charge by the hour. Full time is a flat rate, with a max of 60 hours/week.
ninosqueridos 07:51 AM 03-16-2011
I don't differentiate really. I charge a flat rate per day, and they pay for however many days they need me. They must be the same days each week. And I do not offer hourly rates at all so even if they're here 3 hours, they pay for the whole day.

(Note: I realize I'm "shorting myself" a few bucks by not charging more per day if they are here less than 5 days per week - but this is easier and works for me. And I do give major priority to 5 days per week care. )
daycare 08:04 AM 03-16-2011
I charge 250 a week.. you use it how you want. if you come one day cool, if you come 5 great... Most of my kids come 3 days a week....

I did however goof up and I took a part time kid a few years back when I started. Well that kid just left and now the only thing I have is a really weird schedule to offer M.Tu.F... So far no one wants it. I am also considering doing drop in on these days, but I hate drop in. It is not money you can always count on..
MN Day Mom 08:05 AM 03-16-2011
I only have Full Time rates... I don't deal with trying to coordinate part time kids. They can come part time hours, but they will pay full time rates. Simply put my slots are all at full time rates.

I've only had a few people question this and I simply tell them that their child would be filling one of my slots and with their child in this slot it would prevent me from taking another child full time.
Mrs.Ky 08:17 AM 03-16-2011
I only do fulltime and I charge 125 a week but I do do drop in care for friends, or old daycare families who left on good terms I charge 25 a day per child no matter how many hours it is they are here for that day. Part time to me is 3 days or less no matter how many hours they are here in that day and I would charge 25 a day.
Meeko 09:13 AM 03-16-2011
I don't do "part-time" at all....even though I have some kids who are here part-times hours.

I charge a flat fee for the week. We are open from 6AM to 6PM and parents can use as many hours as they like, but the rate remains the same regardless of attendance or hours. This has saved me countless hours of frustrating number crunching/different amounts for each client etc. Every client pays in advance before a second of day care is provided. Book keeping is easy when everyone pays the same.

When interested clients call I tell them the policy. It works well for those who have weird schedules or want to hit the salon after work etc. I don't care what the parent is doing during the day as long as they pick up by 6PM. My day care moms love the fact they can go Christmas shopping or whatever after work, without worrying about about going over hours or owing me more money.

Doesn't work for everyone...but does for me!
TBird 09:30 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I charge 250 a week.. you use it how you want. if you come one day cool, if you come 5 great... Most of my kids come 3 days a week....

I did however goof up and I took a part time kid a few years back when I started. Well that kid just left and now the only thing I have is a really weird schedule to offer M.Tu.F... So far no one wants it. I am also considering doing drop in on these days, but I hate drop in. It is not money you can always count on..
Can I ask if you're in the northeast??? I've been toying with raising my rates. 5 years ago when my little one had a provider, we paid her $200/wk...she wasn't licensed and didn't provide food or preschool. I do sooooo much more and it's 5 years later so I'm thinking that I may be short-changing myself!!!
daysofelijah 09:30 AM 03-16-2011
4-5 days OR over 30 hours. I think I am too lenient with the part timers. I lose a lot of money from my two main families that originally started out full-time, then changed to only wanting 3 days a week.
nannyde 09:32 AM 03-16-2011
Don't have part time kids but three and four days are part time paid at 25 percent per day of the total weekly rate.

If I charged 100 a week then full time kids would pay 20 dollars a day. With the 25 percent per day the three day a week kid would pay 75 dollars a week. (3X25=75)

I never have four day a week kids because the rate for four and five days is identical. I don't do less than three days per week.
daycare 09:32 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Can I ask if you're in the northeast??? I've been toying with raising my rates. 5 years ago when my little one had a provider, we paid her $200/wk...she wasn't licensed and didn't provide food or preschool. I do sooooo much more and it's 5 years later so I'm thinking that I may be short-changing myself!!!
I am in SF.... and I am actually not on the high side here.. I teach preschool and offer food.... I raised my rates this year by $30.00 monthly per child....
TBird 09:53 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am in SF.... and I am actually not on the high side here.. I teach preschool and offer food.... I raised my rates this year by $30.00 monthly per child....
Wow...you go girl!!! I bet you're worth every penny...I know I am!!!
Bizzymom1111 10:09 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I don't do "part-time" at all....even though I have some kids who are here part-times hours.

I charge a flat fee for the week. We are open from 6AM to 6PM and parents can use as many hours as they like, but the rate remains the same regardless of attendance or hours. This has saved me countless hours of frustrating number crunching/different amounts for each client etc. Every client pays in advance before a second of day care is provided. Book keeping is easy when everyone pays the same.

When interested clients call I tell them the policy. It works well for those who have weird schedules or want to hit the salon after work etc. I don't care what the parent is doing during the day as long as they pick up by 6PM. My day care moms love the fact they can go Christmas shopping or whatever after work, without worrying about about going over hours or owing me more money.

Doesn't work for everyone...but does for
me!
This sounds so much easier!! I hate dealing with all the different amounts, and days, etc. I sort of do something similar where if a family has varied hours from week to week, they pay me my weekly rate. Then I don't care when they bring their child. My full time is considered 25+ hours/week, and part time is anything less then that with a 3 day minimum. But my part timers HAVE to have a set schedule, to get part time rates(daily rates) or else they pay full week rates. But I like the idea of everyone paying the same no matter what.
krystamichelle 10:22 AM 03-16-2011
I know I'm shortchanging myself. I watch two children at 90/week for each one, and I provide snacks and preschool!! The only reason I did it for such a cheap price is because my fiance and I needed the money pretty quickly. Otherwise, it would have been at least $25/day per child. ETA: I'm from the midwest.
TBird 10:31 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by krystamichelle:
I know I'm shortchanging myself. I watch two children at 90/week for each one, and I provide snacks and preschool!! The only reason I did it for such a cheap price is because my fiance and I needed the money pretty quickly. Otherwise, it would have been at least $25/day per child. ETA: I'm from the midwest.
Oh my goodness krystamichelle, I don't even know how you can afford it. I'm assuming that rates are a bit lower in the midwest, but still...just the fact that you're doing preschool and providing the food...but you're right...sometimes we get roped in just to get started. There is a brighter day coming...I'm convinced of it!!!
daycare 10:37 AM 03-16-2011
Wow...you go girl!!! I bet you're worth every penny...I know I am!!!
heheh thanks.. I was actually a lot lower than the other people in my area and the parents knew it. The other DC also dont teach the programs that I teach so I had to do something. I have not done my taxes yet and I am shakin in my boots to see how much I will owe....lol
juliebug 10:51 AM 03-16-2011
3 days or less part time 4 or 5 day full time.

it doesn't matter how many hours just how many days!
Abigail 10:52 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by krystamichelle:
How long have you been open? Have you ever redone your contract and raises the rates a little? You should if it has been awhile.
MG&Lsmom 10:54 AM 03-16-2011
I have all 'part timers'. I charge a daily rate: $25 <5 hrs, $35 >5 hours. I have two families that are each 2 days/week and one that I do back up care about 1x/month. One family has 3 kids, so they fill up all my spots in one fell swoop. I offer drop in care and have a couple of moms who use me for that. I personally like the part timers schedules. I'll never be really full and that's ok with me for now. I can count on having 1 day off a week to be with just my own kids or volunteer last minute to read to my daughter's preschool class. I'm getting a reputation for being able to do the crazy schedule and back up care and already have 4 weeks of the summer totally booked for other providers vacations. I've also found that so many parents around here are looking for 2-3 days, telecommuters who have to go into the office 2 days a week, health care workers, law enforcement officers and retail workers. Unfortunately everyone needs Fridays and I'm full just that one day every other week.
ammama 11:16 AM 03-16-2011
I love PT kids, and most of my kids are PTers. FT is 4 days a week (i'm only open 4 days a week) and I charge a flat monthly rate. PT is a daily rate, and I have kids who come 1-3 days a week, which must be the same days each week, and they pay regardless of attendance. I don't know why my 3 day a week families don't just pay the flat montly rate, because it works out to be about the same as the daily rate, and they could use that extra day per week if they wanted to.

The number of hours makes no difference in the fee, although i'm thinking in the future I may offer a bit of a discount if they pick up before 4:30 (i'm open until 5:30).
squareone 11:43 AM 03-16-2011
I consider part time 20 hours or less and full-time is more than 20 hours. The part-time schedule must be the same days each week or else they will be considered a drop-in and pay a higher rate with no guaranteed spot.
nannyde 03:29 PM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

Doesn't work for everyone...but does for me!
For me,
I couldn't do those long of hours per kid. I haven't ever had a kid that could tolerate that unless they had two full days off during the week. These guys NEED to be with their parents with many hours AWAKE every day. There's no cheating a clock... twelve hours is twelve hours. That's the math I care about. Doing rates based on hours is way easier than dealing with a kid who doesn't have much face time with their parents.... imho

I have a friend who has centers and she did the open hour thing for a while. She had so many clients using all or nearly all of the twelve hours that she ended up having to do an adjusted rate for early pick up and a higher rate for the "possibility" of doing a twelve hour day.

Once she attached money to it it dropped dramatically. Kids who were in care twelve hours a day for months went to nine hours a day the day the rate changed. It's amazing how much attaching money to total hours really gets the total hours down to what they really need. That's great for the kids and the parents.

Can you tell me how you feel about kids being in care twelve hours? Do you have a population base that rarely uses it even tho it's available at no additional cost?
Unregistered 03:47 PM 03-16-2011
I defne ft as 4-5 days a week of care. 1-3 days is pt. For example if a child comes 4 hours a day monday-Friday that to me is ft.
Debbie
Meeko 07:43 PM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For me,
I couldn't do those long of hours per kid. I haven't ever had a kid that could tolerate that unless they had two full days off during the week. These guys NEED to be with their parents with many hours AWAKE every day. There's no cheating a clock... twelve hours is twelve hours. That's the math I care about. Doing rates based on hours is way easier than dealing with a kid who doesn't have much face time with their parents.... imho

I have a friend who has centers and she did the open hour thing for a while. She had so many clients using all or nearly all of the twelve hours that she ended up having to do an adjusted rate for early pick up and a higher rate for the "possibility" of doing a twelve hour day.

Once she attached money to it it dropped dramatically. Kids who were in care twelve hours a day for months went to nine hours a day the day the rate changed. It's amazing how much attaching money to total hours really gets the total hours down to what they really need. That's great for the kids and the parents.

Can you tell me how you feel about kids being in care twelve hours? Do you have a population base that rarely uses it even tho it's available at no additional cost?
The parents don't usually use 12 hours. Most are 6-9 on average. What they like is being able to drop off at 6AM and pick up by 2PM or drop off at 10AM and pick up at 6PM. They like the flexibility.

I have sometimes had a little one for 12 hours...but it has been circumstances that have been a little different. One mom was at her dad's funeral and they didn't want to drag their toddler around all day. I have had mom's that are sick and have taken advantage of 12 hours of rest.

On the whole, it hasn't been abused. I don't like the idea of a child being with me for 12 hours for the most part as they usually need their parents. However,,,,very sadly....over the past 27 years of child care I have had several children who I KNOW are better off with me....and I hated to hand them back to the "parents" (and I use that term lightly.) I'm sure some of you have felt the same!
Cat Herder 05:04 AM 03-17-2011
Q. Where is the line between full and part time?

A. The line is pretty bold here. Enrolled vs. Not Enrolled

I have a set rate, am open 10 hours/5 days a week, and my parents routinely use all but minutes each day.

I use MMK...it was eye opening to see those reports.

My DCK' average 9.48 hours per day.

That is the norm for my area....

I used to offer variable rates/hours...but all went to this within a couple weeks of enrollment, regardless.
Meyou 08:27 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Q. Where is the line between full and part time?

A. The line is pretty bold here. Enrolled vs. Not Enrolled

I have a set rate, am open 10 hours/5 days a week, and my parents routinely use all but minutes each day.

I use MMK...it was eye opening to see those reports.

My DCK' average 9.48 hours per day.

That is the norm for my area....

I used to offer variable rates/hours...but all went to this within a couple weeks of enrollment, regardless.
Most of mine are here for 10 hours days too. Between 9 and 10 hours and rarely less than 9. It's the standard in the city I live in. I live in a smaller city across a bridge from a larger city. So most of my parents work in the larger city which means at least a 30-45 minute commute each way. I used to be one of those doing that commute before I started working at home. lol I have little parent abuse with leaving the children here when they aren't working but the little ones still have long days.

I plan my days around that fact actually. I know mom and dad won't have time with them to play outside during the week for example so we make sure to go out twice a day for at least an hour each time. I do afternoon snack quite late so they won't be whiny hungry bugs waiting for dinner at home too.
Tags:full time, part time
Reply Up