Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Water on the Knee

I imagine this is a common complaint among people who are down on the floor with small children all the time. This knee has given me trouble for a few years, since before I was doing daycare. Periodically I will have a day where it just gives out on me. Painless, but randomly stops supporting my weight. It started hurting a couple weeks ago, then stopped hurting after a day. Started hurting again last night and now it is quite puffy! Is this something you guys deal with with all of your up-and-down and on the ground time?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

YES!! I have a bum ankle and a bum knee on my left side. I was carrying a bunch of stuff in the yard and when I stepped off the deck my foot went into a hole and really injured my ankle. It hurt for a good 6 months before I finally got a bandage to wear. The hurt ankle in turn messed up my knee because it was affecting my walk. I find my knee gets really bad when I get up on an angle. If I push up in a straight line its fine but if I am picking up toys, not paying attention and my body is twisted when I push up I am DOOMED. It hurts so bad!

I went to YouTube for some advice and found a great channel called Bob & Brad. They are physiotherapists and they are hilarious and have great tips. I bandaged my ankle using their technique and in two weeks it was completely healed!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

Zoinks! We sure do wear ourselves out fast, don't we? I'm only 35. I was thinking back over what my physical activity was the day before this started. "I didn't fall or feel anything happen to it! I just, you know, spent the day on the floor with kids, and did a bunch of weeding, and mowed the lawn with a reel mower, and took the kids out for a walk and had to carry one back because she had a tantrum . . . oh."

The urgent care doctor didn't do a blood test or order an x-ray. I'm on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory, and the knee is getting more and more pink.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM

I've had surgery on both my knees in my early 20ies.

I haven't had any issues since then and I am up/down from the floor all the time.

I do take joint supplements and I work out weekly. Walking as well as weight/strength training to strengthen my knee muscles. I think it makes a difference for sure!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

I had the opposite result. Doing daycare fixed my knee. The year before I started daycare, I hurt my knee. I was 57. A year later, when I started my daycare, I was finally walking without pain, but I couldn't get up and down from the floor. I would lower myself as much as possible then sort of plop. It was not lovely. Getting up required a chair to lean on. But after a few weeks, I noticed less plopping and more normal sitting. Then I realized I was standing up with no help. I am 66 now, and I am up and down from the floor effortlessly, much better than any of my friends. I credit these kids!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
I imagine this is a common complaint among people who are down on the floor with small children all the time. This knee has given me trouble for a few years, since before I was doing daycare. Periodically I will have a day where it just gives out on me. Painless, but randomly stops supporting my weight. It started hurting a couple weeks ago, then stopped hurting after a day. Started hurting again last night and now it is quite puffy! Is this something you guys deal with with all of your up-and-down and on the ground time?
Not only did I break my knee decades ago, but damaged it 3 times since starting childcare... right knee & hip so bad I actually closed last year & found another job (only working 30 hrs week) that is slightly less stressful, but I technically qualified for SSI ... I didn't qualify for ssdi as I was short 1 credit a year the last 4 years of childcare due to income. SSI was taken away due to a trust I am part of , but can't force 14 others to sell off their share (that damn 300 month dividend sucks)

Tags
medical issues, water on the knee