Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Ideas Please??
Josiegirl 03:22 AM 11-27-2016
I have no idea whatsoever for gifts the dcks can make for their parents. I have ages 3 months-4 1/2. Couple years ago we made footprints on canvas and made them into a tree, penguin, reindeer, can't remember what else. They came out so adorable but same kids are here(well except the infant of course).
I am at a complete loss as to what to do this year. We've also done the hand print snowmen on Christmas balls which were cute. I'm looking for something with hand or foot prints, preferably foot prints because the baby is hard to do.
Downloading and printing pictures is iffy; seems my abilities are sketchy at best.
So PLEASE share your ideas???? Thank you!
wonderfullisa 04:43 AM 11-27-2016
I like to use this recipe for ornaments.
We have done handprints, as well as cookie cutters with snowmen made out of fingerprints. I love how white they are.
http://www.cbc.ca/parents/play/view/...rint_ornaments
Jupadia 01:27 PM 11-27-2016
I do salt dough ornaments each year. Each kid gets to paint a few. I pick two shapes and rotate them so parents don't get the same shape each year. I also have my husband give them a nice shiny coat of sealer spray. I make sure to date it as well.
This year they may also do saran wrap paintings on canvas for the parents.
The kids also wrap the gifts in paper they hzve colored (often pages from a christmas coloring book.
Blackcat31 04:05 PM 11-27-2016
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
I do salt dough ornaments each year. Each kid gets to paint a few. I pick two shapes and rotate them so parents don't get the same shape each year. I also have my husband give them a nice shiny coat of sealer spray. I make sure to date it as well.
The kids also wrap the gifts in paper they hzve colored (often pages from a christmas coloring book.
If you make salt dough ornaments and aren't already aware, please read the attached link. Salt dough ornaments can be toxic to dogs. I always send info home with families in case they have pets at home.

http://www.akc.org/news/popular-salt...rous-for-dogs/
MyAngels 08:29 PM 11-27-2016
There are quite a few ideas here: http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.c...emes/christmas

Last year I bought some clear plastic ornaments from Walmart, put a bit of thinned paint inside them, and let the kids play around with them to disperse the paint to make designs. We started a couple of weeks prior to Christmas and did a couple of colors in each one (letting the paint dry between colors). Then I helped them put their hand print in glitter paint on the outside when they were done. They turned out pretty neat.
Lianne 08:42 PM 11-27-2016
Last year I made a batch of salt dough and had the kids make a rounded mound with it, basically. They then stuck these mini bells in Christmas colours in the mound of dough and then pressed a votive candle in the top and they were candle holders, great for the 12mos and up group to do with little help from me. For the 3 mos old I'd do a cutsey handprint craft
midaycare 08:50 PM 11-27-2016
Try Pinterest I usually do one nice craft a week leading up to Christmas. Hand print, clay that dries quick (I've made fingerprints before and turned it into a necklace for moms. You could make it an ornament, too), craft sticks (trees, reindeers), candy canes from beads and those bendable stick things, and I have the kids make homemade Christmas cards to send to a few family members.
daycarediva 11:15 AM 11-28-2016
We are doing snow globe ornaments

Ariana 11:37 AM 11-28-2016
Last year I took paper plates, cut a hole in the middle so they looked like wreaths, then they painted and decorated them. You can also print off a photo of all the kids to glue in the middle.

Pretty easy and is great for a wide range of ages. This year
I am cutting out the shape of a stocking and the kids are going to glue cotton balls around the top trim and then decorate the sock part. Super easy! I have glitter glue, glitter paper, beads, pompoms etc for decorating.
Controlled Chaos 11:45 AM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
We are doing snow globe ornaments

Those are super cute. Directions? Please! Do you buy a kit?
daycarediva 01:17 PM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Those are super cute. Directions? Please! Do you buy a kit?
I already did a test one with my kids for grandparents (just all my kids together, as opposed to individual)

I bought the plastic craft ornaments that come apart in 2 pieces. I took the photo, printed it tiny on white cardstock, laminated it and cut out the laminated photo, then I used an BOAT LOAD of hot glue to secure it to the bottom of the ornament, added white glitter, and a little silver glitter, super glued the top on the ornament and added a christmas ribbon.

The hardest part was getting the picture to the right size, but that was because mine was wider with all the kids included. Otherwise it was about 20 minutes from start to finish, all for $1 ornament and the ink to print the picture.

For the daycare kids I might just do wallet size prints and cut those out/laminate them over a weekend and then have the kids help put them together.
Josiegirl 03:15 PM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I already did a test one with my kids for grandparents (just all my kids together, as opposed to individual)

I bought the plastic craft ornaments that come apart in 2 pieces. I took the photo, printed it tiny on white cardstock, laminated it and cut out the laminated photo, then I used an BOAT LOAD of hot glue to secure it to the bottom of the ornament, added white glitter, and a little silver glitter, super glued the top on the ornament and added a christmas ribbon.

The hardest part was getting the picture to the right size, but that was because mine was wider with all the kids included. Otherwise it was about 20 minutes from start to finish, all for $1 ornament and the ink to print the picture.

For the daycare kids I might just do wallet size prints and cut those out/laminate them over a weekend and then have the kids help put them together.
Those are pretty cute! Where did you get the balls?

I also like the baking soda clay with snowmen but I've never had very good luck with any of the clay type crafts; even that cinnamon-applesauce dough always cracks while drying. Is there a secret to have success with salt dough or any of those activities?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've also been browsing pinterest for way too many hours.
Josiegirl 03:18 PM 11-28-2016
Midaycare, we made those necklaces for moms on Mother's Day. They came out adorable, only 1 dcm ever said anything about it and has worn hers a couple times. It gets disheartening sometimes. But I do it with the kids for the kids.
Josiegirl 03:25 PM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
There are quite a few ideas here: http://www.fantasticfunandlearning.c...emes/christmas

Last year I bought some clear plastic ornaments from Walmart, put a bit of thinned paint inside them, and let the kids play around with them to disperse the paint to make designs. We started a couple of weeks prior to Christmas and did a couple of colors in each one (letting the paint dry between colors). Then I helped them put their hand print in glitter paint on the outside when they were done. They turned out pretty neat.
They've got some adorable photo ornament ideas on this site, thank you for sharing it!
AmyKidsCo 08:38 PM 11-28-2016
I've done MakeIt plates for the past several years. After the children decorate the papers I trace their hand then add their name and the date. It's really cool for the families who stay here for several years to see how the hands and drawing skills change. With infants I hold the paper where the marker will hit it.
Heart12 07:28 AM 11-29-2016
This will be my daycare's first xmas & I will definitely be making these cute salt dough reindeer ornaments that I saw on Pinterest with my infants!
cassiesue 09:47 AM 11-29-2016
I get pics of the kids and make an ornament out of them, but not as fancy as them snow globe ones, but I might steal that idea this year as they look great.

I have the older kids cut out small Xmas trees, candy canes, or round ornaments, attach the pic, laminate them, and attach a yarn string as a hanger.
Josiegirl 03:04 PM 12-04-2016
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
Can you elaborate on the saran wrap paintings on canvas? Please?
childcaremom 01:55 AM 12-06-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Those are pretty cute! Where did you get the balls?

I also like the baking soda clay with snowmen but I've never had very good luck with any of the clay type crafts; even that cinnamon-applesauce dough always cracks while drying. Is there a secret to have success with salt dough or any of those activities?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've also been browsing pinterest for way too many hours.
I agree! I am trying one more time this year and it it doesn't work then I am leaving those type crafts for good. I've always let mine air dry. Maybe if they get baked at low temps? I don't know.

Im trying these: http://www.messylittlemonster.com/20...dough.html?m=1

Lots of ideas here: http://www.frugalmomeh.com/2015/11/h...ornaments.html

My group is young but this is cute: http://happyhooligans.ca/icicle-ornaments/

Foot print snowmen: http://saraseflresources.blogspot.ca...l#.WEaMTvkrLIU

My plan is to do 2-3 small things leading up to Christmas so that if something doesn't work out.... there will still be lots!
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 12-06-2016
Childcaremom, I'm so glad I'm not alone in that!! I know I'm not a crafty person but when everybody claims it's so easy, I feel like a failure. I started the baking soda clay ornaments yesterday but they turned out dry and cracked around the edges a bit as I flattened with a plate. I'm learning what works/what doesn't as I go. But after 2 batches you'd think I'd have it perfected. Plus it's difficult to do with 6 dcks. You know how that goes.... some days it's difficult just to get a bathroom break.
I love the fingerprint Christmas trees!
Josiegirl 11:18 AM 12-18-2016
http://indulgy.com/post/mD1KDUlG23/salt-dough-ornaments

I wish I could figure out how to get pictures from my camera to here but I haven't a clue right now.
However, I wanted to share with you what we ended up doing for the parents. We made the salt dough Christmas Tree ornaments, using fingerprints painted and placed on the ornament as lights. Came out pretty cute. We also made the hand print Santas which came out cute as well. But I just had a little foot print of the baby on her tree ornament and didn't really know what to do with it until I found this(above). OMG it is THE cutest little thing you ever saw!!
Reply Up