Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seriously? Why, Just Why Can't She Get It???
Boymom 04:38 PM 07-29-2016
I gave the daycare parents a letter that was attached to my updated contract a few weeks ago. The letter was very short and simple and basically said that I will start enforcing my late fees as per my contract.

Dcm didn't have payment last Friday so I charged her a late fee.

I was thinking, yay, this dcm is FINALLY going to get it that I will charge them if they pay late or pick up late.

Guess what she did today? The SAME thing that she did last Friday. She didn't pay me.....

I just wanted to say, for real???!!!

I don't know how else to tell her that I want to be paid by 5:30 at pickup!!! I don't want to, and I shouldn't have to, wait around for a dcp to come back to my house to pay me and I shouldn't have to meet them somewhere.

I just don't get it. She has one more time until I term her.
MyAngels 04:44 PM 07-29-2016
There are certain people that will feel that as long as they are willing to pay the fee, that you're okay with them being late.

Maybe you just need to spell it out for them, just because you charge a late fee, it's not okay to be late?
Boymom 04:59 PM 07-29-2016
I agree! I definitely need to spell it out, although I thought I was being very blunt to her about everything. My contract states that if they pay late three times, then I will term them. I really like having dcb here, so I definitely don't want to term, but I don't like feeling like I don't have control over my business.
Mike 05:28 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
I agree! I definitely need to spell it out, although I thought I was being very blunt to her about everything. My contract states that if they pay late three times, then I will term them. I really like having dcb here, so I definitely don't want to term, but I don't like feeling like I don't have control over my business.
That means next time, you tell her it's over. What about if payment is late, you tell her it has to be paid at next dropoff instead of outside daycare hours?
snbauser 05:30 PM 07-29-2016
If she is still "forgetting" then your late fee isn't steep enough. I implemented an incremental late fee at one point. First time late....xx amount. 2nd time late within 6 months then the fee went up.
racemom 05:39 PM 07-29-2016
I would warn her, next time she shows up on Friday without payment, you WILL terminate care. Make sure she knows you are serious. Also explain that she needs to have it AT pickup, and that does not mean she can pick up late.
MunchkinWrangler 07:11 PM 07-29-2016
Or say she can't bring payment back that night as you are busy(even if you are just going to sit on the couch) and tack on late fees for each day late meaning Monday she'll owe you x amount. Don't apologize and obviously term and replace.

I wouldn't want any family showing up at my house when I am closed. That's just rude. Even if you are home it's a boundary that they shouldn't cross.
daycarediva 04:13 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by snbauser:
If she is still "forgetting" then your late fee isn't steep enough. I implemented an incremental late fee at one point. First time late....xx amount. 2nd time late within 6 months then the fee went up.

I also have TWO rates now. Friday or last day in care at pickup=regular rate

Monday morning/first day in care at drop off= regular rate + $50 with the potential I don't have a space. I take drop ins if the space isn't paid in full.
childcaremom 06:45 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I also have TWO rates now. Friday or last day in care at pickup=regular rate

Monday morning/first day in care at drop off= regular rate + $50 with the potential I don't have a space. I take drop ins if the space isn't paid in full.
Regular rate = late fee. So an extra $50 on Monday?

Or you up their daily rate?
childcaremom 06:47 PM 07-30-2016
I had a dcm like this. She didn't like any of my suggestions to 'help' her pay on time. Argued everything (and not just about payments but every policy).

She was the type that had to be in control and really wanted to be my boss.

She did not remain a client for long.
Mike 07:17 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I had a dcm like this. She didn't like any of my suggestions to 'help' her pay on time. Argued everything (and not just about payments but every policy).

She was the type that had to be in control and really wanted to be my boss.

She did not remain a client for long.
Isn't it fun doing professional services for people who want to be the one in charge? Try doing a home reno job for someone who starts telling you how you're supposed to do something. Do it yourself then.
Meeko 09:10 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Or say she can't bring payment back that night as you are busy(even if you are just going to sit on the couch) and tack on late fees for each day late meaning Monday she'll owe you x amount. Don't apologize and obviously term and replace.

I wouldn't want any family showing up at my house when I am closed. That's just rude. Even if you are home it's a boundary that they shouldn't cross.
I close at 6PM on Friday night. It is then the weekend. I don't do ANY business on the weekend. If they haven't paid me by close on Friday, it has to wait until Monday morning and it's a $30 late fee.

I used to tell clients it was $10 day late fee. So they thought they could show up any time Friday night, or over the weekend to pay me. A few times I even had clients come by on a weekend...see I was gone and therefore argue they didn't owe the fee because they "tried" to pay me.

So now it's paid by Friday at close, or it waits to Monday. I won't open the door to a weekend stalker. And they don't come in the door on Monday without full payment and full late fee.
Nurse Jackie 07:40 AM 07-31-2016
I use to have this same problem so I followed someone's advice on here and changed my policy on payment. Since I don't have anyone dropping off after 10am that's my cut off time for payment on Friday. If I don't recieve payment by 10am at 10:01am a $30 fee is added on. So far so good!
Crazy8 10:07 AM 07-31-2016
The no payments over the weekend thing didn't work for me. I use a cash envelope budget system and for a long time I NEEDED that money, so I much rather get it on a saturday morning then on monday morning. Especially in the old days before mobile banking!

My parents all paid by check so I told parents while payments were due by 5pm on Fridays that I highly suggested that they brought it in with child on Friday mornings. I'd even mention it at drop off on Friday mornings and then they could tell me to my face "I will have it at pick up". That alone was enough for them to not forget.

With your dcm I would remind her next Friday morning that payment is due at pick up and if she does not have it this will be her 3rd late payment and that means you will have to terminate care.

I've had a lot of parents switch to square cash as payment method and for that I require it be made BEFORE they walk in to pick up on Fridays.
Missjaime 09:36 AM 08-01-2016
I recently got a square reader thing to accept credit/debit card payments. I let parents know that if they "forget" to pay on the correct day (i.e. - forget their check) they can use the Square reader for a 3.5% fee. Almost everyone has some kind of card on them at all times, so this has worked for me so far.
Cat Herder 09:49 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
I gave the daycare parents a letter that was attached to my updated contract a few weeks ago.

Dcm didn't have payment last Friday so I charged her a late fee.

I was thinking, yay, this dcm is FINALLY going to get it that I will charge them if they pay late or pick up late.

Guess what she did today? The SAME thing that she did last Friday. She didn't pay me.....
DCM believes that you will charge her a late fee. She simply does not mind paying it. That is what she is showing you.

You will have to decide if you are willing to continue to allow it for extra pay.

The reality is she does "get it" and is following your policy.
MunchkinWrangler 10:57 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I close at 6PM on Friday night. It is then the weekend. I don't do ANY business on the weekend. If they haven't paid me by close on Friday, it has to wait until Monday morning and it's a $30 late fee.

I used to tell clients it was $10 day late fee. So they thought they could show up any time Friday night, or over the weekend to pay me. A few times I even had clients come by on a weekend...see I was gone and therefore argue they didn't owe the fee because they "tried" to pay me.

So now it's paid by Friday at close, or it waits to Monday. I won't open the door to a weekend stalker. And they don't come in the door on Monday without full payment and full late fee.
And I still get payed Monday's for the week (haven't had any reason to do Friday for upcoming week), but I'll go on a case by case basis. Payments are due by close on Monday's and I ask for payment in the morning, if it's missed I send a text reminding to pay by close that day. I also do no pay, no stay...so if payment is not made, care is unavailable Tuesday, it's looser but like I said, no problems so far.

I don't do late fees for the point that most people throw money at their problems I just won't provide care. Period. And I don't allow anyone to my property after hours or weekends for any reason.
MunchkinWrangler 11:00 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
DCM believes that you will charge her a late fee. She simply does not mind paying it. That is what she is showing you.

You will have to decide if you are willing to continue to allow it for extra pay.

I agree, people throw money at their problems instead of fixing it. I think she should do payments by drop off Friday and turn away, if it's not in hand stating the amount due. This would be a big policy change but them maybe dcm would get it then.
MunchkinWrangler 11:01 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
I use to have this same problem so I followed someone's advice on here and changed my policy on payment. Since I don't have anyone dropping off after 10am that's my cut off time for payment on Friday. If I don't recieve payment by 10am at 10:01am a $30 fee is added on. So far so good!
Yep, agree! That way it becomes dcm's problem not the provider.
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

This ^^^ is THE reason I have a graduated late fee

Those that simply don't mind throwing money at the problem, find out real fast that the only real solution is "Don't be late!"
Boymom 08:43 AM 08-02-2016
Thank you so much everyone! I love this forum :-) I LOVE the idea of increasing the fee each time they are late. I thought $10 would be enough, but apparently not to her!

AND I love that y'all don't let them come back on the weekend to pay. Sometimes I really do think that my dcp's think I just hang around at my house all weekend and that I don't ever do anything! Even if I want to relax at my house (which I normally don't because I work here!!), I don't want to see them! Lol
daycare 09:16 AM 08-02-2016
I had a family that did not care about spending the extra $$

1st late fee $50
2nd late fee $100
3rd late fee, get lost....lol

and I meant it....
thrivingchildcarecom 11:58 AM 08-02-2016
Yeah, I know! They don't realize (or care) that you will have to make multiple trips to the bank. You may need to do what I do and shoot her a reminder on Thursdays until she gets the hang of it. Otherwise, CHARGE HER (music playing) LOL.
Tags:contract - revisions, notification letter, policy changes, updating contract
Reply Up