Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Meal Conversations
MissAnn 05:58 AM 11-22-2016
Happy to hear their chatter.....but sad when most of it is about what they saw on tv or video games. Lots of redirecting today. I'd probably be shocked to know how much TV they watch and video games they play. I rarely see kids pretend anything other than these characters. No impromptu tea parties or playing house. It's a different world.
midaycare 06:33 AM 11-22-2016
My dcks watch a lot of tv. My dc is setup for imaginary play, no real noisy toys. I figure if they are with me for 8-10 hours a day, 40-50 hours a week, doing imaginary play, that's awesome!

I only do up to age 4.5, so the dcks here will talk about tv characters, but then they incorporate them into play. It's fun to watch
Rockgirl 06:35 AM 11-22-2016
Mine usually end up talking about throwing up!
midaycare 07:06 AM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Mine usually end up talking about throwing up!
Tooting over here. So gross. "You tooted!" "No you tooted!" Then the baby burps...
Hunni Bee 11:48 AM 11-22-2016
I actually wish mine wouldn't talk so much. I never really minded it before but this particular group has seemed to slip by without ever learning table manners.

I have one whose subject matter always centers around bodily functions/private parts or blood/killing, and the others just try to out-silly each other until they are standing up yelling across the table.

I hate to have a gender split but my girls generally behave and the boys need constant reminders. I think it's due to the fact that all but one of my girls came from one class (where there were higher expectations for behavior) and all but one boy came from the other class which was basically a zoo.
Controlled Chaos 01:48 PM 11-22-2016
haha so much tooting and barfing talk! I have strict no potty talk rules but they still slip into it A LOT.

We have been talking about we are thankful for. I ask each child "what food/animal/game/toy/person are you thankful for?" It takes a long time to get through them all. We're practicing all week. We also have been practicing our super special thanksgiving manner - specifically what to do if we don't like what's served. A few vocal picky eater, who often have to leave the table to shake off their bad manners and try joining us again
BumbleBee 04:15 PM 11-22-2016
Most of the table talk here centers around owies, the food we're eating or heavy machinery. Even the body talk they do is pretty benign. When it slips into the silly/gross stuff is when I step in. But most of my dck's have been here since infancy and I have a young group. Oldest just turned 4 in October.
AmyKidsCo 08:02 PM 11-22-2016
Mine argue about everything. One child randomly says "no" then another says "yes" and they're into a yes/no argument over nothing.

Or one will say something about "my mom" and another will say "no, MY mom" and everyone will be saying "MY mom" "no, MY mom" (where IS that rolling-eye emoticon?!)
Josiegirl 04:15 AM 11-23-2016
Yesterday's table talk started off interesting....'I'm eating dirty socks.' Not to be outdone next one says 'I'm eating dirty underwear' followed by gales of laughter.
I was just thinking the other day how difficult it is to get into much beneficial conversation at any meal time with them. It's all silliness and 1-2 dcks monopolizing the conversation no matter how many times I say 'Let's give ***** a turn'. I used to use that captivated audience time to read stories but even that's hard to do now.
Gemma 04:25 AM 11-23-2016
Because of chocking hazard (kids are 3 and under), no talking is allowed during meals at my Daycare
ColorfulSunburst 04:31 AM 11-23-2016
I have a rule: no talking during meal time.
Ariana 08:02 AM 11-23-2016
My kids watch maybe an hour of tv a day (I put it on while I make dinner so maximum is an hour) They get ipad for 1 hour saturday morning so we can sleep in.

They talk non stop about tv and video games! it is THE most exciting thing for them.
MissAnn 08:08 AM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Mine argue about everything. One child randomly says "no" then another says "yes" and they're into a yes/no argument over nothing.

Or one will say something about "my mom" and another will say "no, MY mom" and everyone will be saying "MY mom" "no, MY mom" (where IS that rolling-eye emoticon?!)
uh huh!
huh uh!
uh huh!
Huh Uh!
midaycare 08:40 AM 11-23-2016

How could I forget about this??? Yes, every day.
daycarediva 10:44 AM 11-23-2016

I teach ALL of my kids their parents first names early on. I correct that nonsense immediately with "Yes, YOUR Mom, KATIE." "YES, Dcg's Mom, Chelsea."

Originally Posted by Gemma:
Because of chocking hazard (kids are 3 and under), no talking is allowed during meals at my Daycare
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I have a rule: no talking during meal time.
I have never heard of such a thing!

Meal times are my favorite times of the day. The kids are all contained and spend a good 30 minutes at the table chatting and eating. I take 18m-5yo and have NEVER had a child choke while eating/talking.

I don't allow walking around with food/drink for choking/sanitary reasons (and my own pet peeve)
daycarediva 10:47 AM 11-23-2016
My current crew cannot self entertain for 5 minutes at a time. So their entire conversations are started and continued by me. Play included. Drives me crazy, but otherwise they would just sit there and stare at each other or act up. With toys, they walk around the room, or dump and go, one can play with a single car for 10 minutes at a time, but that involves running it along my walls (toys on the floor here).

My own kids/family talk about everything at the table! Politics has been a huge topic of conversation. We are talking about greek gods now and greek mythology. My mom got a new dog and was torn between Apollo and Zeus and ds was curious about the origin of the names.
Controlled Chaos 12:06 PM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My kids watch maybe an hour of tv a day (I put it on while I make dinner so maximum is an hour) They get ipad for 1 hour saturday morning so we can sleep in.

They talk non stop about tv and video games! it is THE most exciting thing for them.
I had this same thought. My kids get a little more screen time than that - 30 min during nap each day on top of what you put. But still - they don't talk about the science experiment, reading, walks, or art we made - they talk about TV character but luckily it usually leads into dramatic play...so there's that lol
Reply Up