Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advise Anyone Else in My Shoes?
tenderhearts 01:59 PM 03-18-2020
We have 23 confirmed cases of the covid-19 in our area, newest was announced today at a high school less than a couple miles from me. I have only 5 daycare kids right now. I was planning on remaining open until the state says otherwise but I was wondering if anyone on here is currently doing chemo or have a suppressed immune system and what you are doing? Thoughts? My husband is doing chemo but is at a higher risk and I am so unsure of what to do. I already was closed for almost 6 mo when he received his cancer diagnosis and had surgery then chemo. I reopened beginning of February. I can't afford to close again but I also am afraid for my husband. So curious anyone else in my shoes?
Blackcat31 03:00 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
We have 23 confirmed cases of the covid-19 in our area, newest was announced today at a high school less than a couple miles from me. I have only 5 daycare kids right now. I was planning on remaining open until the state says otherwise but I was wondering if anyone on here is currently doing chemo or have a suppressed immune system and what you are doing? Thoughts? My husband is doing chemo but is at a higher risk and I am so unsure of what to do. I already was closed for almost 6 mo when he received his cancer diagnosis and had surgery then chemo. I reopened beginning of February. I can't afford to close again but I also am afraid for my husband. So curious anyone else in my shoes?
My husband is a Type 1 diabetic.
We are lucky though as I own a separate house for my child care so he does have the option of staying home although I am sure I carry plenty of germs and viruses home with me.

The only changes we've made are no one but the DCK enter the daycare...parents walk to the door and I take the child from there. I take child's coat off and bring them immediately to wash their hands while I do a quick health check. No fever, no runny nose, no cough etc

I have a zero tolerance policy right now for anything but 100% perfect health. It's all I can really do to make sure we are all doing our parts.

My husband is kinda freaked out as he knows he is high risk but he also doesn't want to live in fear.

We are very health conscious ourselves and eat well, get lots of exercise and make sure we get good rest so thats all we can do.

I don't know for sure if those additional steps make a difference or not but it's all I got right now.
Cat Herder 03:07 PM 03-18-2020
Is your playroom separate from your living areas?
tenderhearts 03:46 PM 03-18-2020
Thank you, we also have taken a lot of extra precautions as well. My rules are fairly similar to yours. Although there is a child that was ill a few weeks ago but continues to hav ea cough and I told them they needed to be cleared by doctor before reentering. Our room is in the same house but a separate area. We do have to go to the kitchen which is in the same area as our own home. My husband stays away pretty much now and just doesn't let any child interact closely with him. My fear is kids go places with parents ect and you never know what they can be carrying. It's stressful for sure but also don't want to live in fear.
Michael 04:00 PM 03-18-2020
Here is what I am doing. I always spend on things 99% of the time I won't need. Interestingly, much of what I've bought in the past is going to be used now. I am even going further than most and would suggest to those of you and family members with preexisting health issues to buy an oxygen generator concentrator. (just in case)

I bought two today and I have friends in San Francisco (that are young) that have likewise bought them. There may be up to 15% of those infected with COVID-19 that have breathing difficulty. I am not referring to the 2% that will need respirators. If you are in the 15%, a oxygen generator concentrator can make breathing and recovery that much better. They range in price form a couple hundred to several thousand dollars.

They are also good for your skin and to help oxygenate your blood which is always a good thing even when healthy.

I bought two of these: Fencia Portable 2-9L Adjustable O2 Generator Machine for Home and Travel Use,Air Purifier O2 Bar Pure Air Flow AC 110V Air Humidifiers Suitable for Men & Women
Ariana 04:51 PM 03-18-2020
I have thought the same thing Michael for my husband who has asthma. The ones you posted are currently unavailable.

Tenderhearts I would consider isolating either your husband or your daycare. Go through rigorous cleaning protocols and do not let any adults enter your home. Kids are dropped off outside the door, they text and you open the door to receive them. Same for pickup. Once inside outdoor clothes are taken off and hands are washed. Wash your hands as well. Get rid of 75% of your toys and clean the remaining 25% daily.
Michael 04:52 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have thought the same thing Michael for my husband who has asthma. The ones you posted are currently unavailable.

Tenderhearts I would consider isolating either your husband or your daycare. Go through rigorous cleaning protocols and do not let any adults enter your home. Kids are dropped off outside the door, they text and you open the door to receive them. Same for pickup. Once inside outdoor clothes are taken off and hands are washed. Wash your hands as well.
I bought mine on Ebay. It says it will deliver by next week.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193362347172
Ariana 04:53 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
I bought mine on Ebay. It says it will deliver by next week.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193362347172
Thank you!
Josiegirl 04:15 AM 03-19-2020
I hope you can come to a viable decision for you and dh. Only you can determine which choice to make. Are there things you can cut out to decrease living expenses? Is your local area doing anything to compensate for lack of wages for providers? Can you at least decrease the number of dcks, so you get less exposure? Do you have any savings whatsoever to help you through a few weeks of closure? In case of late payments on your bills, do those companies have grace periods in place for customers? So many things to consider when you're thinking about your options.

Usually we get uncertain info, such as # of cases within our state or which county. But knowing there are confirmed cases so near to you, I'd do whatever is feasible to lessen the chances of exposure.

Even with all the smart safeguards in place, it can still be risky as I'm sure you know that even people who have no clue they're sick yet, can be contagious.

Good luck to you and may you all stay safe!!!
tenderhearts 07:00 AM 03-19-2020
I only have 5 kids right now and one family I think will be pulling their child until schools reopen so they will be charged half tuition. I will only have 3 full time and 1 2 days per week unless anyone else chooses to keep their child home at the half tuition rate. My parents are pretty mindful of what is going on as a few of them work in the medical field, one dad works for one of the largest hospitals in our and doing everything they can as a family to keep social distancing, I have only one family I am concerned about right now but I think I will open a new thread on that one. So I currently have 4 kids at the moment. My husband has to go to the hospital next week for labs and chemo so I feel like that is way worse than being here.
Tags:coronavirus - supplies, covid-19, managing coronavirus in daycare
Reply Up